Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems My pig has red-scab like marks? Can't tell what they are.

butternut

Cavy Slave
Hi. I hope I am posting correctly on this site since it is my first time here and I created this acc since I've ran into a problem I can't identify. I've had my guinea pig Butternut for about a year and half now and he's been perfectly healthy and well but today when he had his playtime out the cage and I was holding him, I ran my hand down his back and felt a bump.

IMG_9910.jpgIMG_9927.jpgIMG_9921.jpgIMG_9925.jpg

I attached images the best I could take cause I couldn't really see them that well with his hair, they are red bump scab like things though. I tried to research and I can't tell if it's a cyst, dry skin, scab, tumor, mites or etc. he has about 3 of them I've found. 2 medium big ones on his back and 1 small one near his ear/higher back like on his head. I really tried on the photos. If I can I will cut his hair to take better ones. Any suggestions would be nice thank you!

Lovelypigs12

Cavy Gazer
I would take your pet to the vet asap. It could be many things also, how did you maje a thread?

butternut

Cavy Slave
I would take your pet to the vet asap. It could be many things also, how did you maje a thread?
Um.. there's a button for it. And I don't know how serious this is and I don't have much money for a vet at least my mom wants me to figure out what it might be, someone help!!

butternut

Cavy Slave
Can someone please help me?? Sorry :(

lissie

Cavy Slave
Does he live with another pig? Could be a bite mark.

butternut

Cavy Slave
Does he live with another pig? Could be a bite mark.
No he lives alone because when I got him I don't think he liked other pigs caused they picked on him and nibbled his ears. He's the only one in the cage

butternut

Cavy Slave
Still need help thanks for the suggestions so far though, I'm trying my best

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Has he been scratching a lot?

The most likely issues are either mites or a fungal infection. Typically with fungal infections there will also be dry flakey skin (possibly in patches) and even hairloss, whereas with mites he would be very itchy and the injuries and hairloss would be self inflicted from scratching.

butternut

Cavy Slave
Has he been scratching a lot?

The most likely issues are either mites or a fungal infection. Typically with fungal infections there will also be dry flakey skin (possibly in patches) and even hairloss, whereas with mites he would be very itchy and the injuries and hairloss would be self inflicted from scratching.

Omg thank u! His skin isn't that dry and it wasn't flaking except for bits of like dried blood falling off? I think he has been scratching more so it may be mites I guess. I will figure out what to do if they are mits, thank u so much for everything!! You helped me a lot :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.