Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Post neuter questions: probiotic, incision cleaning

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello I got my boar Loki neutered yesterday. The did injection painkillers at the hospital but just sent me home with antibiotics (Enrofloxacin) .5mL 2x/day. I tried asking for painkillers but was assured he should be fine and most piggies don't need them.

So far everything is going well :) Last night he ate some veggies and nibbled on his hay. This morning he had normal poops, ate all his veggies and more hay. He doesn't seem to be in pain and moving around pretty normal.

My two questions
1)Do I still need to give him a probiotic if his poop is normal? I got the tube of bene-bac just in case but wasn't sure how much to give. I know the container says 1g up to 10lbs but wasn't sure if I need to give him less.

2)I was looking at his incision site and it looked like there was a suture sticking out. My vet didn't use external sutures so I am not sure if maybe it is a piece of hay? I am calling to ask my vet, but should I be rinsing the site? I have 10% Providone Iodine along with sterile curved syringes/gauze.

Thank you!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
(1)Do I still need to give him a probiotic if his poop is normal? I got the tube of bene-bac just in case but wasn't sure how much to give. I know the container says 1g up to 10lbs but wasn't sure if I need to give him less.

2)I was looking at his incision site and it looked like there was a suture sticking out. My vet didn't use external sutures so I am not sure if maybe it is a piece of hay? I am calling to ask my vet, but should I be rinsing the site?

Probiotics aren't absolutely necessary, but are often used as a preventative. They won't hurt him and since you have them available, I'd go ahead and give them to him. Do you have the large 15gm. syringe of Bene-Bac? If so, I'd probably give him the recommended gram per serving. That's so much easier than trying to feed the small tubes which are about 1gm each.

You are correct in that Dr. Albin doesn't use external sutures, but closes the incision with vet adhesive. What you may be seeing is a piece of that adhesive sticking up.....it can look like a suture. If it is bothering you or Loki, just cut it off. I would leave the wound alone.....it's best left undisturbed unless it is obviously covered with feces or debris.

Having said that, in the past I have observed one of my boys appearing to be in pain from the tissue tension during healing. I put a dab of xylocaine ointment on a q-tip and gently rubbed it in the area to lubricate and desensitize it. I don't generally recommend that because the ointment could act as a breeding ground for bacteria. Loki should be pretty well healed in about a week or so. His scrotum will atrophy in about a month and just disappear.

Happy that Loki is doing well! Please keep us posted on his progress.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Probiotics aren't absolutely necessary, but are often used as a preventative. They won't hurt him and since you have them available, I'd go ahead and give them to him. Do you have the large 15gm. syringe of Bene-Bac? If so, I'd probably give him the recommended gram per serving. That's so much easier than trying to feed the small tubes which are about 1gm each.

You are correct in that Dr. Albin doesn't use external sutures, but closes the incision with vet adhesive. What you may be seeing is a piece of that adhesive sticking up.....it can look like a suture. If it is bothering you or Loki, just cut it off. I would leave the wound alone.....it's best left undisturbed unless it is obviously covered with feces or debris.

Having said that, in the past I have observed one of my boys appearing to be in pain from the tissue tension during healing. I put a dab of xylocaine ointment on a q-tip and gently rubbed it in the area to lubricate and desensitize it. I don't generally recommend that because the ointment could act as a breeding ground for bacteria. Loki should be pretty well healed in about a week or so. His scrotum will atrophy in about a month and just disappear.

Happy that Loki is doing well! Please keep us posted on his progress.

I do have the 15 g syringe. Last night I thought he licked it off but found it this morning stuck to his food. There were only 4 poops this morning, could that be from not getting the probiotic? He has been eating hay and hasn't lost any weight from yesterday AM weighing. I am going to take him out to syringe it to him around 1 hr after his antibiotic.

Also, last night and this morning he wouldn't eat the bell peppers or oxbow vit C tablets (he usually loves) so I plan to go get the childrens Vit-C. Does it matter which childrens vit C tablet I get him?

His incision is looking good though, I put him over my cell phone to make a video so I can keep track of its healing. I realized last night, it was a piece of hay on his penis lol Thank you for the tip about the tissue tension, if I see any issues with that I will give Dr. Albin a call. He also recommended leave the wound alone, and only if necessary use warm gauze to clean of any debris.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
I feel dumb, I forgot to check for possible impaction. Is there a way to do that without putting pressure on his incision site? Thank you!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Also, last night and this morning he wouldn't eat the bell peppers or oxbow vit C tablets (he usually loves) so I plan to go get the childrens Vit-C. Does it matter which childrens vit C tablet I get him?

Don't fret so much! My boys recently stopped eating their bell pepper for unknown reasons. I can't imagine trying to get a tablet into the boys, even with sprinkling it on their food. I use the liquid Oasis Vita Drops - Pure Vitamin C and syringe it to them. (You should be able to find them at almost any pet store, e.g. Petco or Petsmart) I started with it cut with a little water, but eventually began to syringe it straight out of the bottle. That way you know that they are actually ingesting what you are feeding them.

With regard to possible impaction, I wouldn't worry about that just yet. The anesthesia may have slowed down his digestive system plus he just had surgery in the area. The doctor can always prescribe a motility medication if he needs it. Once again, you are better off leaving the area alone for the first week. Plus, neutered boars seldom get impacted once they are healed and the scrotum atrophies.

Since you live a bit of a drive from the clinic, you probably don't want to drive back to PO for any medications? Do you have a compounding pharmacy nearby? Check with them and see if they also do pet meds.....many do. That's how I handled it when I needed meds that the Vet didn't keep in stock or I couldn't make the trip there.

Loki should be back to normal in a few days..........and so will you!

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Don't fret so much! My boys recently stopped eating their bell pepper for unknown reasons. I can't imagine trying to get a tablet into the boys, even with sprinkling it on their food. I use the liquid Oasis Vita Drops - Pure Vitamin C and syringe it to them. (You should be able to find them at almost any pet store, e.g. Petco or Petsmart) I started with it cut with a little water, but eventually began to syringe it straight out of the bottle. That way you know that they are actually ingesting what you are feeding them.

With regard to possible impaction, I wouldn't worry about that just yet. The anesthesia may have slowed down his digestive system plus he just had surgery in the area. The doctor can always prescribe a motility medication if he needs it. Once again, you are better off leaving the area alone for the first week. Plus, neutered boars seldom get impacted once they are healed and the scrotum atrophies.

Since you live a bit of a drive from the clinic, you probably don't want to drive back to PO for any medications? Do you have a compounding pharmacy nearby? Check with them and see if they also do pet meds.....many do. That's how I handled it when I needed meds that the Vet didn't keep in stock or I couldn't make the trip there.

Loki should be back to normal in a few days..........and so will you!

I will get him the liquid Oasis drops, it sounds so much easier the crushing up a tablet. My girls are little hoovers when it comes to anything, especially the Oxbow vit. C . Hopefully once they are together he adopts their mentality.

I am so relieved that it most likely isn't impaction. I haven't touched the area once, just looked observed it. I am just confused because he started off so great then suddenly drastically slowed down.

Honestly the drive isn't too bad and I won't say no to a chance for Dr. Albin to recheck him. Loki might have some complaints however, as I think he is quite sick of the carrier.

I know it is Easter, so thank you for taking the time to respond and positivity! I'll try to trust that everything will be fine.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Just an update we got the liquid drops, he is not a fan. However, he did eat the oxbow Vit. C last night so I will try that first than liquid if he wont eat it.

He pooped a bit more this morning. They were good firmness and shape but a light tan instead of dark brown. I called PO and left a message for Dr. Albin. I got the powdered benebac and going to try that with some baby food or canned pumpkin.

Brightside, Loki is feeling great this morning and was making laps in his cage. I did stop him but happy to know he is feeling his same spunky self. He still isn't eating as much veg, but devours hay. He also hasn't lost any weight so overall I think doing pretty well.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Another update, still just eating hay with a little bit of red leaf lettuce but has consistent weight so I am not concerned. He has come to love his antibiotics and eagerly bites the syringe. It smells like candy so I think it must taste sweet. We also have found a way to take probiotics, sprinkled on a baby carrot slice. I normally don’t feed a lot of carrot but I figure it’s worth it for him to take the probiotic.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Sounds as though Loki is making a swift recovery. Congratulations to both mother and son!

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Sounds as though Loki is making a swift recovery. Congratulations to both mother and son!

Well I spoke too soon. This morning I noticed a stronger urine from Loki's potty pads, with a brown tinge to it. Figured it was just urine that my new potty pad didn't wick as well that had oxidized. Well this evening my when he was out for his meds he peed and it looked like this immediately after. It smells very strong, possibly fishy. Is UTI? I used a wash cloth to clean off his feet, and then sterile gauze to clean off his wound. He still has normal poop, a bit smaller than usual but still firm.
urine.jpg

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Here it is on a white background.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It smells very strong, possibly fishy. Is UTI? I used a wash cloth to clean off his feet, and then sterile gauze to clean off his wound. He still has normal poop, a bit smaller than usual but still firm.

I'm sorry this is happening. Unfortunately, I have no experience wi th this particular situation, but my best guess would be a UTI. But THIS is something I would contact Dr. Albin to ask his opinion. Perhaps PO can just phone in an Rx for him. He's a week post-op.......perhaps you can take him in for a recheck?

Hopefully, others here can help.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
I did finally get ahold of Dr. Albin, he said he was not too worried about it as he is already is on a broad spectrum antibiotic. Also, that it is normal for the urine to smell more and change color on antibiotics. He said if I do feel more concerned I can get a clean urine sample and take it to my regular vet for a UA. He didn't see a need for me to go to PO if the incisions are healthy.

So, just to be safe I did end up scheduling Loki for an appointment at his regular vet on Monday. He hasn't lost any weight, and actually gained 16g from yesterday AM so besides the urine seems to be doing well.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Loki's medical thread- neuter

Final update, Loki is doing amazing. The vet visit went fine, no urinary issues and incisions healing perfectly. As soon as he finished the antibiotics, it was like he was another pig- appetite back, eating all his pellets, pooping tons. I had no idea Baytril was making him feel so crappy. He will be introduced to the girls next Friday. Thank you spydoc for all the reassurance!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.