Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Potty training.

amp2375

Cavy Slave
Anybody have any tips on how to potty train my piggy? Sometimes she tells me when she needs to go, but I want to try to fully potty train her. ☺

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can't be toilet trained. Most will pee and poop everywhere. Some pigs will have certain areas that tend to get soiled faster but they can never 100% be trained. Many people have "kitchens" where they have disposable bedding and hay as guinea pigs tend to eat and poop at the same time!

As for lap time, some pigs will start wiggling around or nibble on you when they need to go to the bathroom but that seems just by chance and not something you can train your pigs to do.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig CAN be litter trained but it can be difficult. I was able to potty train my guinea pigs with no issue.

(broken link removed)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
@scoottie you must have just been lucky with your guinea pigs, but in general there is no way to 100% litter train Guinea pigs.

Like I mentioned above and in your article, having a kitchen area with disposable bedding and hay can help contain messes but VERY few pigs will go to the bathroom exclusively in the kitchen. I've had my pigs with kitchens for nearly 3 years and I still sweep poops every day and my ladies love to soil their sleeping area as well. I believe you'll find that the general consensus of the forum is that even if we do our best to encourage better litter habits, guinea pigs will do their business where they please.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That article doesn't tell you how to potty train a pig, [MENTION=36499]scoottie[/MENTION]. It just tells you how to catch the output if you have a cooperative pig who likes to go in the same places. Some pigs do, some pigs don't. And some who do go in the same place all the time will sleep in the potty bin, thereby predisposing themselves to urinary tract infections.

Pigs can't be potty trained. Some will pick places where they prefer to do their business, and if you put something to catch the output there, you'll get most of it. Those places are usually where they sleep and where they eat. Others will go wherever, whenever, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.