Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Guinea pig bite

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
My poor baby. This morning i woke up and it turns out my older pig bit my 5month old pig. Its not too bad but im not sure how to clean the wound. Its on his back and im not sure how recent it had happened to me waking up but the wound seemed like it was still bleeding. I separated them and put the injured one in the makeshift cage with clean bedding, a bed a water bowl and some veggies and hay and pellets of course. ive already left my house for the day and wont be home until 12 hours from now. He seemed fine, he was eating hay and lettuce before i left and adjusted to the makeshift cage well(not knocking his water bowl over and eating his pellets carefully) but im just worried for him. All i did was use a q-tip dipped in tap water to clean his fur and check out the wound. Any advice on cleaning the wound or anyones pervious experience with piggy bites? Im just worried for my poor little baby.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I would take him to a vet before it gets infected

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
I think it is a puncture wound. Oh im so worried now i hope it doesnt get infected. I dont think i checked it out enough to see how deep it was but it was about maybe an inch long and a little deep. Im not home so i cant take a picture. I hope i dont arrive home to a dead piggy:( would washing it with warm salt water help like in that thread? I want to clean it but i dont want to hurt him. A while back my other piggy got a pretty large gash on his neck from i dont know what but i suspected it was the same pig. I just washed it with regular water and cleaned his cage maybe three times a week so it wouldnt get infected from anything nasty and also no floor time or petting from anyone that wasnt me. But i guess this is different since its a puncture and not a gash.

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
Oops not an inch long its about a half inch, maybe smaller

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
At this point it's too late to have it stitched. If it's still open and bleeding, he will need a vet to clean it up and take a look at it. If it's scabbed over, I'd just keep monitoring it. Watch it for swelling, discharge, or a bad smell.

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
Ill check when i get home if its still bleeding. I think it was in the morning but i couldnt be sure. And thanks @foggycreekcavy ill keep an eye out for those things. Also he has his ivermectin medicine due again this thursday, is it okay to still go one with the treatment?

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
What kind of paradise does he have?

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
He has mites and he already has hair loss from the mites and used to cry when he scratched so im hoping i dont have to stop the treatment.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
Hmm.. I would take him to the vet for that.... We don't want the treatment to get into his wound because I can imagine that would be really painful.

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
Thats true. Ill consult a vet if the wound is still open by sunday or if anything else comes up

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
So i cant put them back together? Just the night before they were eating hay just fine right by each other. I think it was a lack of space issue but if i get the bigger cage i was planning on getting will it make a difference? What i think happened is maybe chestnut accidentally jump off the igloo and onto my other pig but didnt see him since it was dark.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
I would want to see how he is before you put them together again.

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
Of course, yes. Ill wait until he heals (or doesnt:() but im just asking about after he does

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
When he is healed it is alright to put them back together. Just to be safe I would get out the playpen and re-introduce them.

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
Yeah, ill give it a couple week and reintroduce them. As for when i get home would it be beneficial at all to flush it out with warm salt water? Or is there a way to clean the wound?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'd wait until you have the bigger cage and then try reintroducing them.

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
Well by the time he heals the cage should arrive. Were ordering it friday most likely.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There is no need to worry about the mites treatment getting into an open wound. There are two ways to administer ivermectin -- orally, or a tiny drop behind the ear.

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
I just got home and chestnut cleaned his own fur for the most part and i cant find the wound anymore so i guess it closed. All i can feel is the patch of fur pretty much just stuck together tighter than regular fur and obviously i dont want to pull it apart. Im so happy hes okay

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.