Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Rights Dyeing animals for decoration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
Dying animals isn't cruel, dying chicks and bunnies leads to irresponsible ownership that I can guarantee you, just look at any shelter or rescue a month or two after Easter when all these people realize those adorable bunnies and chicks they just bought are getting bigger and in need of vet care, space, time, and can be quite destructive. Then if they're to lazy to take them to the shelter some people will just let them go in the wild. This is all awful yes- but dying animals doesn't hurt them, and pet safe dyes (which all pet salons use) don't contain chemicals harmful to dogs. Many dogs enjoy being groomed and pampered. My Min. Poodle mix loves going to the groomer, she loves the attention she gets, she loves baths, and if I was so inclined (which I'm not) she would enjoy the attention being dyed would give her. I personally don't enjoy dressing her up or decorating her but that's my personal choice. Although she has a million pretty coats, and even a panda outfit which doubles as her heavy duty winter coat.

Now to @CavySpirit: we all respect your decisions but you're not coming off as choosing the "peaceful" approach to life. You're coming off as rude, judgmental, and intolerant. I was a vegetarian for a long time, and today I actually maintain a fairly vegetarian diet, because I enjoyed those foods, and I love cooking (I am a pastry chef after all). In fact I have almost no dairy in my house but that is more on account of my lactose intolerance than anything else. However, my fiance loves meat, and far be it from me to impose my decisions on someone else. So I buy the groceries, and I buy ethically raised- cage free eggs, and free range meats, and small farm raw honeys. I don't buy seafood because there really is no ethical and safe way to fish or farm for the most part (well there are just no can afford to do them).

Our personal decisions do not give us the right to tell other people how to live- end of story. It shouldn't keep you up at night either, you are doing what you can and pretty much all you can, there is no reason for you to be agonizing over things you can't change.
Amen to this! I've been vegetarian for over a year now. Very few of our close friends and family are vegetarian. I can think of just two others. One thing that is important to me is not judging people for eating meat. People ask me all the time if them eating meat bothers me, but it honestly doesn't. They have the right to choose their diet, as do I.

My elevator speech about being vegetarian goes something like this: My reasons for being vegetarian may be different than some people, but I'm fine with it. I don't believe eating meat is wrong. That is just part of an ecosystem. Things survive off of other things. What I do have a problem with, is how the meat we eat is kept and raised. You'll never look at a burger the same way after watching videos of what goes on at a slaughterhouse. I don't want to support this cruelty, which is why I went vegetarian.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have another question I love crabs and living on the eastern shore everyone eats them. But it's kinda sad that you have to steam them alive. So would you consider that cruel?

Oh that is cruel and loving Maryland Steamed crabs is evil curse I have not been able to break.

I don't even lay salt outside for the slugs because its like pouring acid on them. There is only a few bugs I kill.

I myself don't believe dying an animal with a safe product is cruel. Clipping ears and tails is cruel. de-clawing is cruel. Leaving them chained up outside with no human contact is cruel. There is so many things that is truly cruel.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Honestly I've never really thought about it that way. I mean at least they don't die like chickens or other animals. But yes I could see that as cruel. But if you would kill them first you couldn't eat them.

No they are placed in a pan of beer/water with seasons placed on them and burning their eyes and brought to a boil until they die. It has to be worse imo.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I love crabs and I don't know if I would be able to not eat them. There is no other taste like crabs. Every summer I eat them with my family I wouldn't be able to stand it watching someone else eat them while I'm not. I could just see myself falling of the vegan wagon.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Well I never really thought about it like that because being on the eastern shore its just part of everyone's diet. If you don't eat crabs people give you weird looks. I don't know anyone who is vegan so I don't know if I could stay with it. Although I am not a minor I don't have a job so therefore I don't buy the food I eat. My mom wouldn't mind but my dad and grandma I'm not sure what they would do. When I go and see my dad because he lives with his mother (long story) I have to what she makes. Plus my grandmother isn't a animal person so I doubt she would understand. So if I go over there and I eat meat I'm not sure I could go back. It would just very hard for me to stay on the vegan wagon.

All you would have to do is inform the family that for health reasons, you are no longer able to eat seafood or any type of animal products. That you have loved their meat meals and you no longer eating them has nothing to do with them or their cooking. If they have a problem with that, I would take that as an control issue they need to deal with.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I love crabs and I don't know if I would be able to not eat them. There is no other taste like crabs. Every summer I eat them with my family I wouldn't be able to stand it watching someone else eat them while I'm not. I could just see myself falling of the vegan wagon.

It's not so hard...LOl
Just get pregnant, with my first son, the smell of them made me puke! It took tears before I could eat them again. I haven't had shell fish in a very long time.

Bacon would be the hardest for me to give up, meat wise. Then it would be grains/bread type stuff.

I could go vegetarian but it would be hard to go vegan., I like dippy eggs and butter too much.

Though on that thought, I could try making homemade butter with almond milk, who knows.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Now to @CavySpirit: we all respect your decisions but you're not coming off as choosing the "peaceful" approach to life. You're coming off as rude, judgmental, and intolerant. I was a vegetarian for a long time, and today I actually maintain a fairly vegetarian diet, because I enjoyed those foods, and I love cooking (I am a pastry chef after all). In fact I have almost no dairy in my house but that is more on account of my lactose intolerance than anything else. However, my fiance loves meat, and far be it from me to impose my decisions on someone else. So I buy the groceries, and I buy ethically raised- cage free eggs, and free range meats, and small farm raw honeys. I don't buy seafood because there really is no ethical and safe way to fish or farm for the most part (well there are just no can afford to do them).

Our personal decisions do not give us the right to tell other people how to live- end of story. It shouldn't keep you up at night either, you are doing what you can and pretty much all you can, there is no reason for you to be agonizing over things you can't change.

I did my best to express my opinions as my opinions. What I'm trying to do is call into question righteous indignation over acts of cruelty about a colored baby chick while at the same time endorsing heinous cruelty to baby chicks while munching on one.

I can't help it if you read it as rude. It isn't. It's not judgmental. How am I judging you as a person? I'm simply questioning the logic of what was brought up. Intolerant? How am I intolerant? We're having a discussion. Yes, I am intolerant of animal abuse and murder.

I also do not get your point about your fiance and such. My SO is also a big-time carnivore as are 98% of my friends and all of my family. I don't see what any of that has to do with this. Again, I'm simply questioning the notion that humanizing animals is cruel while completely ignoring the other cruelty. Even though I created the Vegetarian support forum and it's been here for years, not once have I posted on another thread about this topic. I don't even post much in the vegetarian forum. I do not impose my ideas or beliefs about this to anyone on this forum. I just want people to think about it. That is not being intolerant. And I'm sorry you seem so aggravated about it. That is not my intention.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As more and more people have the courage to go veggie, more and more v*gan products show up in the grocery stores. Supply and demand. The more people do it, the easier it gets. And the more you do it, the easier it gets, too.

I've had my ups and downs with it over the years. A lot of cheating. A lot of backsliding. But, now that I see more by exposing myself to more of what goes on behind closed doors, the more motivating it is.

It's hard but it's getting easier.

I think it's a lot easier today than it was just a few years ago. The products available to buy now are pretty amazing. And the recipes and support groups available are growing day by day. It's encouraging.

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
Amen to this! I've been vegetarian for over a year now. Very few of our close friends and family are vegetarian. I can think of just two others. One thing that is important to me is not judging people for eating meat. People ask me all the time if them eating meat bothers me, but it honestly doesn't. They have the right to choose their diet, as do I.

My elevator speech about being vegetarian goes something like this: My reasons for being vegetarian may be different than some people, but I'm fine with it. I don't believe eating meat is wrong. That is just part of an ecosystem. Things survive off of other things. What I do have a problem with, is how the meat we eat is kept and raised. You'll never look at a burger the same way after watching videos of what goes on at a slaughterhouse. I don't want to support this cruelty, which is why I went vegetarian.

Right? I always felt like I was the odd man out as far as vegetarians are concerned because I was never a vegetarian to protest the way animals are killed. I always protested the way farm animals are raised and kept. When I lived with my family, there was no way my mother was going to shell out twice as much money for "grass fed, free range meat" that admittedly doesn't taste half as good as corn fed. It just doesn't- no other way to put it. So while I lived with my parents I was a vegetarian, and my mother huffed and puffed, so I learned to make my own food.

But god, nothing drives me quite as nuts as zealous vegetarians and vegans who go around shaming people for eating meat. Back Off! It's not your business, what I eat and how I eat it. They remind me of religious fanatics, so obsessed with there own point of view they can't see that other people have a legitimate different point of view.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Right? I always felt like I was the odd man out as far as vegetarians are concerned because I was never a vegetarian to protest the way animals are killed. I always protested the way farm animals are raised and kept. When I lived with my family, there was no way my mother was going to shell out twice as much money for "grass fed, free range meat" that admittedly doesn't taste half as good as corn fed. It just doesn't- no other way to put it. So while I lived with my parents I was a vegetarian, and my mother huffed and puffed, so I learned to make my own food.

But god, nothing drives me quite as nuts as zealous vegetarians and vegans who go around shaming people for eating meat. Back Off! It's not your business, what I eat and how I eat it. They remind me of religious fanatics, so obsessed with there own point of view they can't see that other people have a legitimate different point of view.
And on that note, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.