Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Burrowing in fleece...

Highhopes112

Cavy Slave
So when I had my last piggy I had her on paper bedding over newspaper, she apparently hated the paper bedding because she would move it all to one side of the cage and then live in the other side which of course lead to foot problems so as soon as I noticed I ran around the house looking for something else and found a fleece bed sheet which I cut up and used with some old towels to line the cage and everything went great. Now I have a new piggy living in the cage and he really likes to burrow in the corners. I'm looking at putting together a C&C cage and was looking at fleece flippers and they say that part of the reason they are so great is because they prevent burrowing... Is there a problem with burrowing other then just it makes the cage messy? I don't think I'm going to be able to stop him from doing it in this cage so is there something I should be concerned about until I move him?

Also I was wondering what your opinions on flippers are... it looks like they are a bit more expensive, are they worth it? Is it just a aesthetic thing or is there a real benefit to the piggy?

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
TBH there's nothing here that can't be solved with a few bulldog clips, just clip the edges of the fleece to the side of the cage and this will keep her from exploring. This works particularly well in a c&c as you can just clip to the coroplast.

I'm not sure if there are any dangers as such to her getting under the fleece, but I always worried my little ones would overheat/get lost and dehydrated. I'm a compulsive worrier though. I certainly wouldn't be happy about them doing it.

I don't use fleece flippers,I've found lining with my normal fleece and clipping well in the corners and then once or twice down each side works just fine.

Highhopes112

Cavy Slave
He's in a pet store style cage and there's not much to clip it to, I cut them too short to clip to the edges. When I get their new cage set up I'm going to buy all new fleece because 1- it's off white so if it isn't changed like every two-three days it looks really gross and 2- I had to separate my two boars because the cage was too small and, based on the reading I've done, when I get the bigger cage I feel like new fleece will help with the reintroduction go a bit smoother so unless there is like a health or safety concern then I'm no going to worry about it, hopefully he won't be in that cage for more then a couple more weeks. As far as getting lost he's a hyperactive little pain in the butt so I'm pretty sure he'll not only be able to find his way out but he'll have fun doing it, and my room can get a little cold at times so I'm more worried about him being cold then over heating. However, when I get the new cage I will definatly for-go the flippers and just get fleece to clip down at least to start with. Eventually I would really like to have a big adorable cage that me and my piggies can all enjoy but right now I'm really just trying to make sure everyone is happy and healthy while I work on getting things squared away.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
If he likes exploring it might be worth just putting an offcut of spare fleece in there loose, then he can burrow his way around inside that, it might be a good distraction from the temptation of going under your liner

Highhopes112

Cavy Slave
That's a good idea... I'm doing that right now... thank you!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
No problem, I hope it helps!

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Saw something in your post about the off-white fleece - fleece bedding should be changed every 2-3 days no matter the color/size of cage/etc.

Highhopes112

Cavy Slave
My point really was how gross it looks

Highhopes112

Cavy Slave
It stains and won't even bleach out.

Sorry for the two part my computer glitched

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
ZiggyPig, I think it does differ depending on how many pigs you have. I have 2 and I only need to change the fleece once a week.

And Highhopes112, you might want to go to Walmart or a fabric store and get a couple of colored fleeces. I know how icky and gross that looks. It'll save you a lot of time to just go buy colored fleece.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It'll save you a lot of time to just go buy colored fleece.

Buy fleece with a very dark background. Find one or two patterns that you like and stick with them.

Highhopes112

Cavy Slave
That's definitely the plan I just don't want to run out and pay for new fleece for a cage that I'm getting rid of in the next month. We literally had the off white lying around the house in the back of a dresser drawer so it works for now, I was really just curious about Cain burrowing under it and whether that was okay to let him do while he's in the smaller cage or if there was a health and/or safety concern

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
Something that might help is if you put an old dish towel down, then your pig can burrow under that and leave the fleece.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You have to be very careful about putting towels in the cage that the pigs can get to. Towels can ravel, and they can eat the threads and wind up with an intestinal blockage. One of the beauties of fleece is that it doesn't ravel, and is much safer than fabrics that do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.