Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Avoiding the pet store? Please help?

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Hi there
I don't want to support the pet stores. I am wanting to buy some new tunnels and houses but I am not sure where to go to get them. Does anyone have an idea?
I usually buy the food from the supermarket and not the pet store but I don't know where to get good toys. I used to get them from the petstore but I don't want to support them anymore.

My beautiful boy (in the profile picture) passed away last week :( I think that I am ready to get another pair but I don't know where to go. This is the only non breeder listing on trademe: (broken link removed)

But he is all by himself :( which is sad. SPCA doesn't have them, there are no other rescues. What do you think?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Do you have a facebook? There are pet "buy sale trade" pages. That's where I got my piggies, and they were healthy! Unfortunately they are still in a small pet store cage, but I might be getting a much bigger one for Christmas! And you could order toys and food online.

Last edited:

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot! I had a look and found lots of New Zealand online pet stores :) I don't have a facebook though. I found another trademe listing: (broken link removed)
However I don't know how I'd convince my parents to take a one-two hour drive to pick them up. Thoose boys look gorgeus though!

Photolove3

Cavy Slave
You could always get the solo pig and keep an eye out for a buddy for him. Rescuing him from his lonesome life would be cool of you.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot! I had a look and found lots of New Zealand online pet stores :) I don't have a facebook though. I found another trademe listing: (broken link removed)
However I don't know how I'd convince my parents to take a one-two hour drive to pick them up. Thoose boys look gorgeus though!
Maybe you could meet halfway between?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I think @RodentCuddles lives in NZ, she runs a guinea pig rescue. If she's not near you she may still know where you can adopt.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
I used to buy my pet supplies off of EBay and Etsey, or I would go to shops that didn't sell pets. A lot of cat and dog beds work for piggies, too!

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
I'm really stuck now :( I want to rescue that little pig as he looks sad in the hutch with no bedding. But those two look so adorable... I'm in love!...
Maybe you could meet halfway between?
< that is a really good idea.

However the right thing to do would be to go for the needy, lonely piggie. The other two look so happy and friendly that I'm sure they will find a great home.
I have kept an eye out for a long time and that wee white one has been there for a while.

Rescuing him from his lonesome life would be cool of you.
Thanks, I'd love to help him out!

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
I asked my parents, I'm allowed to get the little white boy! :D
I've emailed the seller and I will let you know how it goes. Gosh I miss my little Charlie sooooo much, R.I.P. little guy :( But I am so glad that I can help out this wee one. I hope that he is still available!

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Please keep us updated! :)

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Guess what! I got a phone call from the family that owns the guinea pig. His name is Sparkles. I asked some questions about him, he comes with a cage and a hutch, but he will live indoors with us (don't worry!).
It is the same old story which is really sad, his cagemate was killed by two cats :( The kids have gotten bored with him and want a dog instead.
My dad has gone out for the morning, but hopefully I will be able to take him home today! Later on I will get a friend for him.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Awesome! I'm so glad Sparkles is going to a great person like you! I salute you for putting Sparkle's happiness above your love for the other two piggies. I'm so happy right now!

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much @LoveMyHerd ! I've already made up his cage with fleece, hay, tunnels and a hidey house and it looks so cozy. I can't wait to meet him.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Yay! I'm glad that little boy will get a good home with you! You will have to post lots of pigtures (besides the one in the link, that doesn't count!) Do you think you are going to change his name? That's a really small hutch he comes with! You can probably use it to let him eat grass in your yard (if it's untreated) for a little bit.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
I will post lots of pictures! I'm not sure about changing his name, usually I give my guinea pigs sensible names that suit them, so I will wait untill I've got him and try it out! I'm fast running out of good names though lol I've used up all the best ones!

As for the hutch, it needs maintenince work on it and apparently there is also a cage that is not shown in the picture and I have no idea what it looks like. They will be handy to have if I need them. However I have two big playpens for outside and I am currently looking at getting an indoor playpen. So there is no real need for them.
Is it easier to introduce males at a young age? Since he lost his friend just last week I am thinking that he might need a new friend quickly so that he doesn't get depressed. However he is just under a year old so they might fight. What age do thay reach puberty?
But it may also take me a while to find him a friend .

Last edited:

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
He should be past puberty. I'm pretty sure it can be from 3 months to a year-ish. My 1 1/2 month boar is going into that stage, while my 8 month is calming down. So it can be anywhere. 1 year should be okay for that. And yes, try to get him a friend ASAP. His old friend being killed was probably traumatic for him, and since he is moving to a new home, a friend would probably be comforting. Sometimes it is easier for two older males past puberty to get along, or an older boar with a baby (6 weeks ish). Try not to get a boar in puberty because he will be a bit crazy. It might work out, though, all pigs are different.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
The Otago SPCA doesn't have guinea pigs, trademe only seems to have breeders in my area. Maybe I should advertise in the NewsPaper for an older male guinea pig.
It would be helpful if I could find him a friend before the move but I doubt it. Thanks so much for your help @peanutnCookie :)

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
I dunno about that... I'm the naming queen! If you want any suggestions, just let me know!
I'm not sure about changing his name, usually I give my guinea pigs sensible names that suit them, so I will wait untill I've got him and try it out! I'm fast running out of good names though lol I've used up all the best ones!

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
First of all: It was so thoughtful of you to think about Sparkles instead of yourself. I'm so glad he's going to a good home!

I believe puberty is from about 2 or 3 months old to 14 months. My Bacon just got out of it a few months ago, and Eggs is starting to calm down. :)
Sparkles is so beautiful! But he looks so lonely... it's great that you are getting him a new friend after his poor cagemate was killed.

I could probably give you some names if you are renaming him. :D

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your thoughtful comments everyone! I brought him home today :)
No more talking... you have to see him, he is gorgeus! :D

IMG_20141222_180403.jpgIMG_20141222_180421.jpgIMG_20141222_180605.jpgIMG_20141222_180612.jpg

The people were really nice and obviously treated him really well. He is actually quite friendly for an outdoor brought up guinea pig. The children had handled him every day though they were quite young. He is curious about everything!
As soon as we got home I checked him over and clipped his nails- he even made a little noise- and he seemed quite relaxed. He explored his cage as soon as he was in and gave a little jumpity hop. I left him alone for a while to give him some space and them offered him some fresh grass and then he even accepted some celery from my hand with a bit of coaxing.

He came with a huge amount of stuff too!!! Bendy logs, a house, fleece blankets!!!, a waterbottle, two hutches, an indoor cage which is so small that it is more like a carry case, food, brushes and a few more bits and pieces.

I think that I will keep his name as Sparkles because...
A-He is a Sparkle in my life since Charlie passed away
B-It is Christmas and he is my early Christmas presant from my parents. (Its a Sparkly Christmas lol)
It is quite a different name for me, but it suits his situation, I'm not sure that it suits him though? what do you think? Is he a little white Sparkle? ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.