Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Pear shaped piggy!!! Fat or Sick?

SaltedToffee

Cavy Gazer
Hello! I'm new to this forum but have been reading it for quite a while.

I've got an 8-months old female piggy, named Toffee, who the last 2 months seems to be a little pear-shape-y and I don't know why! I know for sure she is not pregnant, cause her roommate, Salty, is a female also and she has been under my care for 7 months now. So no contact with a male piggy. What I have noticed though is that she scratches a lot, not constantly that is, but as much as 15 times a day. I searched for any spots on her skin but found nothing, no spots, nothing. I have noticed that she eats a lot more than Salty, could it be due to her getting fatter? What should I do to make her lose weight if that's the case?

I have also noticed these light waves on her fur, that she didn't had when she was little!

IMAG0990.jpgIMAG0945.jpgIMAG0944.jpg

You can see the waves I'm talking about and the pear-shape she has in the last two. Please HELP! should I be concerned? what should I do?

melynda

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy may have some ideas. Or [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION].

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mites. But that has nothing to do with the shape. You can treat yourself with Ivermectin -- see https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html. You can buy the stuff you need from www.tlpmarketplace.com.

How much does she weigh?

And are you positive the other one is a female? You've turned them upside down and compared them?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Looking at your cage, I'm sorry to have to give you the bad news but it's far too small for one pig, let along two. I also see a seed stick, and a mineral/salt block and you'll need to remove both. I can also tell looking at the products that (I'm pretty sure) you're in the UK. I'm happy to direct you to websites with the supplies to make an adequate sized cage for your girls, and to all the other supply stores I use. Being a piggy owner in the UK can be quite a trial!

I also agree about the mites, and since I'm assuming you got these girls from pets at home, one of them has probably been miss-sexed and could be a boy. That, or the pear shape is just her natural shape and she's growing.

SaltedToffee

Cavy Gazer
Yes I checked at least 50 times since I brought her home, I check her, the younger one, every time I pick her up for signs of any skin diseases or bites (they have little fights) and thus check to see if she's female or not, she is definitely female.

Toffee weights 915g (weighted today).

I also forgot to add, this past month she squeals a lot when picked up or touched. She was never the quiet type of piggy, she is more of a rebel, but she squeals so much that I sometime fear I'm hurting her by touching her. I'm new to guinea pigs, please help me! I want them to be healthy and happy.

She is still active, during floor time she runs, and jumps but I'm a bit concerned!

SaltedToffee

Cavy Gazer
I am planning buying a bigger cage for sure. I live in the czech republic though. I've already found a bigger one, going to buy it next month. Thanks for all the advice! :)

smudgecav

Cavy Slave
Could be mites. Sometimes piggies with them can't stand to be held or touched.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Squealing when she's picked up is also a sign of mites. You can't see mites -- they burrow under the skin. But they can make a pig VERY cranky.

SaltedToffee

Cavy Gazer
Any idea how to treat mites in the Czech Republic? or better go to the vet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you get ivermectin there? Either online, or at a feed/supply store for cattle/horses? Or can you get Revolution for kittens?

SaltedToffee

Cavy Gazer
I can find the following (after a quick web search, I will have to ask around)
-Biokill (there are two kinds, one for the cage one - a spray- for the piggies)
-Fipronil (Frontline) again a spray
-imidacloprid - (Advantix)
-selamectin (Stronghold)

Any of these good? which one is better?

SaltedToffee

Cavy Gazer
Some people also recommended Arpalit Neo and Diffusil!? What should I look for in these products? what main ingredients?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You want something that is plain ivermectin. No sprays -- they're not very effective against mites. No Advantix, or anything else that has an insect growth regulator (IGR) in it. Neither Arpalit Neo nor Diffusil should be used -- wrong ingredients for piggies.

If you can find a kitten-sized dose, you can use Stronghold -- we know it as Revolution over here.

SaltedToffee

Cavy Gazer
I will try and get some stronghold for my piggies! will let you know how it turned out! THANK you so much for all the help!

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Where did you get the pig you've had for 2 months? If you got her from a pet store, she could very well be pregnant. Pet stores are notorious for mis-sexing their guinea pigs.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Ah my apologies, everything in there looks so 'Pets at Home' that I just asssumed. My mistake!

But yeah, the seed stick thing poses a choking hazard, and the salt/mineral block isn't needed so long as they're getting a good fresh veg diet as well. Just so as you know why they should be removed :)

Honestly, it seems being a pig owner anywhere other than America is difficult (supplies and vets wise) really. You just have to get international-savvy about it. Research the names of things in your country. For example like bpatters mentioned, Stronghold for you is Revolution in the US, and you'll find the same thing happening with vegetable names and product names etc.

SaltedToffee

Cavy Gazer
I've had her more than two months (since October actually), she just "changed" shape the last two. But I guess it is a growing thing!

SaltedToffee

Cavy Gazer
@Princess_Piggie Yes I know! I can hardly find anything in the pet stores since they specialize more on dogs and cats and I had to find specific vets here in my area who accept, are trained that is, on guinea pigs. and I can't find almost anything the world wide web suggests since everything is named completely differently here! :) but hopefully there are people like bpatters with experience to help! :) I have already removed the block (they didnt seem to do anything with it anyway just use it as a step to get themselves out of the cage) didn't know about the stick, so thanks for that! they get a lot of fresh veg everyday so they don't need anything like that I guess! :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Mine had a salt wheel when I first got them, and they never touched it either luckily. But sometimes you get pigs who just love salt, and will even lick/nibble skin to get the taste of it.

Just in case you have some of the same names for stuff as the UK - Butterhead lettuce is also known as round/round leaf lettuce. Belgian endive is also known as chicory. Roma tomatoes are also know as plum/italian tomatoes. Zuchinni is also known as courgette. Cos lettuce is also known as little gem/ruby gem. I had a nightmare trying to find belgian endive for my girls...asking people in shops and getting looked at like 'the heck are you talking about', then I googled it and found that out!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Selamectin is Revolution. Revolution treats mites. What form is the Stronghold? Paste? Liquid?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.