Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hey there

Wonderland RR

Cavy Slave
Love the pics of the final cage!!! Excellent job and I think the 2 x 3 grids work fine!!!

ChristyAnne

Cavy Slave
Love the pics of the final cage!!! Excellent job and I think the 2 x 3 grids work fine!!!

Thanks, and i think they do too....Here is the lastest new hayrack just made today for them

IMG-20140126-00154.jpg

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Not sure if you were aware, but Home Depot sells coroplast, they have it under a different name in the window/doors section, if you ever need anymore? Great cage btw! :)

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
I just finished my first attempt at a c&c type cage too so I fully appreciate and applaud your finished product!

I found the coro at Home Depot, as guinnymom suggests. It was a choice between a too-small size or an ENOMOUS length (something like a sheet of plywood). Some employees found me in the aisle, trying to roll it like a carpet. It took three of us to tame it, and tie it up.

My cuts from trying to fit it into my cage are only just healing. Maybe the problem was me, or the modifications needed for our cage (up high, thanks to having three dogs, plus a lid, as we have cats) but I thought that I was losing my sanity, trying to get it to fit.

I too have decided to keep the Petsmart cage as a back up cage in cage of illness, etc :)

guinnymom23

Cavy Slave
@Chloe_s_mom I had an employee actually cut the piece for me, got it in my car, not a small feat as I have a Versa, took it home to only realize I miscalculated the size and ended up taping the pieces back together, thought I had the right dimensions only to have to resize it yet again...getting the sizing right is the hard part, I think next time, if I have to build one, I'm going to build the coro base first then put the grids together around it.

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
@Chloe_s_mom I had an employee actually cut the piece for me, got it in my car, not a small feat as I have a Versa, took it home to only realize I miscalculated the size and ended up taping the pieces back together, thought I had the right dimensions only to have to resize it yet again...getting the sizing right is the hard part, I think next time, if I have to build one, I'm going to build the coro base first then put the grids together around it.

I was thinking the same thing!! I had even more fun as my cage has a recessed part plus front opening, so I had to roll/slide/shove the base in (only to find that it was too big). For once, my kids stopped fighting with each other and were very, very quiet and well behaved ;)

ChristyAnne

Cavy Slave
Lol,, Actually yes i did purchase my coroplast from Home Depot which is and hour away from where i live in Morrisburg....but however the staff wasn't so nice there and absolutely refused to cut the size i actually needed but with a bit of playing around i managed to get a tray out of a piece i had that wasn't mucked up..and now i might sometime in the summer expand it out to a 3x3..

ChristyAnne

Cavy Slave
Not sure if you were aware, but Home Depot sells coroplast, they have it under a different name in the window/doors section, if you ever need anymore? Great cage btw! :)

Yes i am aware that is where i got my coroplast....but for what i want to do next i gotta wait until canadian tire restocks the cube organizsers as i bought the last 2 boxes..

guinnymom23

Cavy Slave
@ChristyAnne Home Depot has those too, but only in white. As well as Walmart, as long as they have 9 squares across they are good to use. Also, I prefer to use zip ties as to the connectors they provide, more secure.

Last edited:

ChristyAnne

Cavy Slave
@ChristyAnne Home Depot has those too, but only in white. As well as Walmart, as long as they have 9 squares across they are good to use. Also, I prefer to use zip ties as to the connectors they provide, more secure.

yeah i like the black though lol, and canadian tire isn't far from home within walking distance, I don't drive , it was boyfriend that picked up the coro for me, and yes i am also using zip ties to keep the grids together as well....as well has hold up their latest hay rack.

IMG-20140126-00154.jpg

guinnymom23

Cavy Slave
I do have to agree with other posters saying a 2x3 may be too small for boys (how old are yours, are they full grown?) you may be able to squeeze a 2x4 in the space looking at your picture?? Having a loft really doesn't count towards floor space unfortunately...it does help if they have somewhere to run away to? just make sure they don't trap each other...

ChristyAnne

Cavy Slave
I do have to agree with other posters saying a 2x3 may be too small for boys (how old are yours, are they full grown?) you may be able to squeeze a 2x4 in the space looking at your picture?? Having a loft really doesn't count towards floor space unfortunately...it does help if they have somewhere to run away to? just make sure they don't trap each other...

I have been told that my pigs are about 5 and well the cage has been moved to another area, and the only way i can expand it out to a 3x3 from where the cage is....I would put a loft in but with my boys it would be pointless because they will not go up rams at all, they barely even wanna lift their heads up to get the hay from the hay rack.....they are really quite lazy lil guys...

ChristyAnne

Cavy Slave
A photo of where they are now in my dining room, to give u an idea as to why i said 3x3.

South Dundas-20140128-00179.jpgalso keep in mind that i live in a townhouse not a full house, i also have 3 kids, so toys are a factor to keep organized too and one only learning to walk so can't clutter up walking or crawling space too much.

guinnymom23

Cavy Slave
Oh well, if they are 5 yrs old and were used to being in a small petstore cage, this will be heaven for them, so I don't see that being an issue for you. :) Cute set up by the way, love the usage of grids for the kids' toys!!

ChristyAnne

Cavy Slave
Oh well, if they are 5 yrs old and were used to being in a small petstore cage, this will be heaven for them, so I don't see that being an issue for you. :) Cute set up by the way, love the usage of grids for the kids' toys!!

They were actually given to me and my cousin said they were 5 possibly older...and yes they have been in a pet store cage all of their lives ...and thanks...i might make it 3 x3 eventually so i can have more toy storage HAha..

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum you've come to the right place. You can make a lid for your cage. In the picture section you can see pics of c&c cages with lids.

ChristyAnne

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum you've come to the right place. You can make a lid for your cage. In the picture section you can see pics of c&c cages with lids.

Thanks but the guineas are the only pets in the house no lid needed...

ChristyAnne

Cavy Slave
I had to laugh tonight Reases and Dale were just so cute begging at the bars of their cage,just had to share these adorable pigatures..

South Dundas-20140128-00183.jpgThis one is Dale begging he is the abby mix...
South Dundas-20140128-00185.jpgand then we have both Dale and Reases begging...

South Dundas-20140128-00181.jpgThen we have a cute picture of Madison my 4 year old with the boys, who just loves these lil guys to pieces and is so overprotective of them even at a young age....However she didn't think Reases was so cute when he peed on her tonight LOL but i just had to laugh....and then Dale bless his furry lil heart pooped on Madison and then she was really grossed out....but i told her well they have to go potty too just like u..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.