Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Baby guinea pig weight loss

MrsET

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
I am relatively new to Guinea pigs. We got 2 sows (or so we thought) as family pets in April. The children adore them, they are very well loved. Anyway, it turns out one was a boar and our lovely girl, Luna, gave birth in the early hours of yesterday morning - 1am 27/7/(her companion is housed in a cage next to her at present so she doesn't become pregnant again and is being neutered on Friday so they can be together again when it is safe to do so). Luna delivered 4 pups. Unfortunately the first was not alive 😭. We tried to revive it but it wasn't to be sadly (she had opened the sack for the pup to breathe but it was lifeless. She had also delivered the second pup when we found her. I still beat myself up we didn't find her and the first pup sooner 😔).

We weighed the pups shortly after birth when we were sure they and mum were ok (we have also started weighing her as of today to keep a track on her weight). They weighed 108g, 103g and 100g. The babies have been following mum around, seem to be suckling, they've started eating Hay and some crushed up Guinea pig nuggets. One even had a go at drinking from a bottle today! They are all lively, have shiny fur and eyes, squeek a lot, seem inquisitive and active. Yesterday evening they weighed 102g, 99g and 94g. We have weighed them again this evening and they now weigh 94g, 96g and 95g respectively. The last pup has started to gain back weight (only 1g but it's a start). Should I be concerned? Mum seems really worn out this evening and isn't interested in feeding her babies. We have taken the babies out of the cage one at a time this evening for cuddles (for no more than 3 mins at a time). Will this have caused an issue with the bond? I really hope not but we are so new to this and definitely did not plan to become Guinea pig grandparents. We just want our piggies to have the best life possible. Can anyone help please?
Many thanks xx Baby guinea pig weight lossBaby guinea pig weight loss

It takes a day or so for their milk to start to come in, so weight loss over the first day or two in the pups is expected and normal. She likely isn't interested in feeding them at the moment because her milk hasn't come in properly yet. Taking the pups out for short periods of time a couple times a day wouldn't cause bonding issue.

I'm not sure at what point you took the boar out, but sows do go into heat immediately after giving birth, so unless he was removed immediately there is still a chance she may be pregnant again.

I hope the male was out of the cage before the delivery, because if not, she's undoubtedly pregnant again. Sows can get pregnant within minutes of giving birth.

Hello, thank you for your replies. Yes, the boar was removed before Luna delivered the babies. I will continue to weigh the pups but just watching them yesterday evening and I noticed the pup loosing weight does not seem to suckle as much as the other two. Would it be a good idea to allow him and mum some lap time together? The other two pups seem to jump over him and move him out of the way for milk. X

Yes, do take the other two pups out and let the smaller one nurse unimpeded. Or put mom and runt in a small box with some food for her and let him nurse. But she might be more comfortable and more willing for him to nurse if she's the one left in her usual pen.

Yes, do take the other two pups out and let the smaller one nurse unimpeded. Or put mom and runt in a small box with some food for her and let him nurse. But she might be more comfortable and more willing for him to nurse if she's the one left in her usual pen.
Thank you! How long is it OK to take the other 2 pups away from mum for please? Thank you xx

Just a few minutes at a time. If the runt has had a chance to nurse, you can put them back together.

Thank you for your advice! I am so pleased to say that today's weighing brings good news. All of the pups have gained weight and have even exceeded their birth weights! I am so happy and relieved ❤️. They are all exploring the cage, racing around making the cutest little sounds, munching on salad and crushed up nuggets and just look healthy and happy little pups ��.Baby guinea pig weight lossBaby guinea pig weight loss

Attachments

IMG_20210728_171739~2.jpg
Oh, they are the sweetest little furballs! Congratulations on your new additions!

The new babies are so beautiful. I'm so happy that everything went well for both Luna and her new family.

So glad babies are doing well.

Don't beat yourself up about the baby that didn't make it, just be grateful that mom and all babies didn't succumb to a difficult birthing process. It happens.

Babies are adorable. Make sure cage is babyproofed for the safety of those little fur balls.

Then make sure you remove male babies from mom & all females at 21 days to prevent more pregnancies and inbreeding. Also do not allow any males & females together at any time, even if "supervised", to avoid future pregnancies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.