Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cage ideas???

Tink.Bell

Cavy Slave
I went to petco a wile ago and i saw some of the cutest piggies, 3 males!! I didnt get them right away because i want to get my cage and other things ready first

Im thinking to build my own c&c cage, i hope it isnt hard but im gonna try
Whats the size requirement for 3 males? And are there any big, easy cages i could do in a short time ( i dont want to take too long in getting ready, someone else may come by to take them! )

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First off, please don't get three males. It is ENORMOUSLY hard to get three males to live peaceably together. A much larger herd will sometimes work, but males are best housed in pairs. If you really want three get guinea pigs, get three sows.

Second, pet store pigs are bred and raised in horrible conditions, and are often sold sick, missexed, and with parasites. Please look around you for a rescue or shelter, or even in the newpaper or on Craigslist, and rescue an unwanted pig in need of a home. Yes, the pet store pigs need homes too, but if you buy one of the them, the store just orders more to replace them, and the poor breeding sows are kept continually pregnant producing those pet store pups.

Look at the main page of this site for the recommended sizes for C&C cages, and remember that those are minimums. Bigger is ALWAYS better. There are also instructions for building C&C cages on there, and there a hundreds of pictures in the Photo Gallery of cages in all kinds of configurations.

Here's some recommended reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Tink.Bell

Cavy Slave
Im not sure how to make this reply to only one person but these three already live together, im not sure how i feel about taking two and leaving the other alone. I want them from petco because the lady there says she interacts with them as much as she can and seems to care for them and know at little bit about them, more than most petstore emplyees are typically said to know. She told me to make sure to do my research, so to me it sounds like she wants care for them and not just to sell them off

I also checked out pet smart, it didnt seem as nice as petco, mainly just because of the lady who works there and i know about how theyre said to be treated in the places but id rather buy them and keep them then some random person who might not know much and end up not taking the best care of them
I might check out adoption though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tink.Bell

Cavy Slave
First off, please don't get three males. It is ENORMOUSLY hard to get three males to live peaceably together. A much larger herd will sometimes work, but males are best housed in pairs. If you really want three get guinea pigs, get three sows.

Second, pet store pigs are bred and raised in horrible conditions, and are often sold sick, missexed, and with parasites. Please look around you for a rescue or shelter, or even in the newpaper or on Craigslist, and rescue an unwanted pig in need of a home. Yes, the pet store pigs need homes too, but if you buy one of the them, the store just orders more to replace them, and the poor breeding sows are kept continually pregnant producing those pet store pups.

Look at the main page of this site for the recommended sizes for C&C cages, and remember that those are minimums. Bigger is ALWAYS better. There are also instructions for building C&C cages on there, and there a hundreds of pictures in the Photo Gallery of cages in all kinds of configurations.

Here's some recommended reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/ Im...oung too Okay i found out how to reply!!!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They already live together, but they haven't hit puberty yet. Pardon my french, but all hell can break loose when they do.

You're free to do what you want to do. I'm just telling you that far more often than not, three boars living together doesn't work well. And we never recommend it.

Tink.Bell

Cavy Slave
They already live together, but they haven't hit puberty yet. Pardon my french, but all hell can break loose when they do.

You're free to do what you want to do. I'm just telling you that far more often than not, three boars living together doesn't work well. And we never recommend it.

Yeah, youre right
I might check for nearby adoption spots for maybe two females
I had a male once but that was when i was younger, i didnt put as much research as i shouldve and i had him alone but the time ill be sure to do all i can for them when i get them

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.