Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Irrational fears

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
So I am TERRIFIED of frogs. Yes: no teeth having, hop away at the sound of someone approaching, frogs. I changed my fleece this morning but it was raining and I couldn't take the fleece outside to shake it out. It stopped raining this afternoon so I pushed my tote of fleece and my laundry basket out the back door. I stepped outside, and there it was in all its disgustingness: a frog. I usually freeze when I encounter frogs and my breathing gets heavy but this time I knew I had to make my legs move because this SOB was RIGHT THERE! So I make it back inside, unharmed, and I'm sitting there looking at my tote and laundry basket from the back door, thinking, "how the heck am I going to get my stuff? This frog-ninja has me trapped in the house." I tried to crack the door enough to get a pair of tongs outside to touch the frog to make it move, but it wouldn't budge. I put on hiking boots (because I felt a little safer than with shoes) and went out the front door, checking every single step I took for his relatives that I'm sure reside in my yard. I walked around to the back where my stuff was and STREEEEETCHED to grab it, staying as far away from the enemy as I could. Once I had my hands on each of the items I ran like I've never ran before. I placed my stuff on the front porch and then walked through the house to the closed back door and told the frog, "I win!" Of course I had to top it off with sticking my tongue out, like a 4 year old. It made me feel a little better doing that. Now I know frogs can't hurt me but I am just so scared of them. Does anyone else have completely irrational fears of strange things?

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness! I love this! And I pictured it like a movie! Nicely done, Frog Defeater!!!!

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
For me, it's balloons....knowing that they could pop unexpectedly at any moment, puts my nerves on edge!

Dashmo

Cavy Slave
Well, sort of. I've never been fond of butterflies, and I HATE moths. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them, but something about the large wings and unpredictable flight paths does not agree with me. I don't bother them outside, but if a moth happens to make its way into my house I will immediately drop what I'm doing in order to undertake a seek and destroy mission on my winged foe. Something about knowing that there is a moth in my house just freaks me out and I can't accept it. No idea why.

All the more strange coming from someone who wishes he could go into the wolves' den at the zoo and play with them.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
For me, it's balloons....knowing that they could pop unexpectedly at any moment, puts my nerves on edge!

I know what you mean! I am not afraid of them, per se, but when I see a little kid squeezing one I am on edge too, until it pops.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
Well, sort of. I've never been fond of butterflies, and I HATE moths. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them, but something about the large wings and unpredictable flight paths does not agree with me. I don't bother them outside, but if a moth happens to make its way into my house I will immediately drop what I'm doing in order to undertake a seek and destroy mission on my winged foe. Something about knowing that there is a moth in my house just freaks me out and I can't accept it. No idea why.

All the more strange coming from someone who wishes he could go into the wolves' den at the zoo and play with them.

I feel that way about birds. I think they're icky with their beaks and feet and all the bird things they do. I just picked up a dead moth this morning that I think met my cats.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I don't know why but praying mantis creep me out. I never seen one in real life but everytime I see a picture or video of one I feel like running away.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I am irrationally afraid of centipedes, if I see one I just take off! I can handle a lot of bugs and spiders but not centipedes at all!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My mother was terrified of earthworms but totally fine with snakes. Go figure.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've got to say I love frogs, toads and earthworms. I work out in my garden whenever I can and when I see earthworms, I know I have good soil in that spot. When I dig things out, I always make sure I remove the earthworms and put them back in the soil... Last week I saw a toad in front of my house. I was so excited, I picked her up (it was a female) and brought her in the house so my son could take a photo of her.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I had to shoo a tree frog out of the recycling bin last week before I could carry the bin to the curb. The frog wouldn't move when I tapped near it but did when I nudged it. My sidewalk is lined with toads on summer evenings, one large one lives under/near my front porch, I call it Bob (although it may be a female?). I'm really freaked out by the idea of parasitic worms. Eeewww!

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
@Rywen Yep, I'd be moving. I work midnights and can't stomach the thought of leaving my house in the dark to go to work, not being able to see those vile creatures. Speaking of parasitic worms, as a lab person, I had to take a parasitology class. It was by far the grossest part of my degree. Any time I have to go to the central laboratory, which is where the microbiology department is, I check out the jars of worms they have saved that have been removed from people. Some of them grow to several feet long.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@MLT2007 I recommend using a flashlight at night, that way you can see if any are in your path. My sister-in-law has a horrible fear of snakes. We can't even say "snake" in her presence (she calls it the worse "s" word, lol). My undergrad degree is in Biology, so I had to survive the parasite section of zoology. I'm still traumatized more than 20 years later!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@ThePigAlchemist that is the grossest most traumatic show ever! I never even tried to watch it.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I love Monsters Inside Me. I always try to guess the parasite when they are giving the story.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
I'm afraid of scheduled meetings, especially interviews and doctor appointments. I get there and I'm fine, but the waiting... *shiver*

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
I'm afraid of the electric kitchen mixer! You know the thing with the beaters for making cake and stuff... I'm okay with the stand ones, but I absolutely hate using the ones that you hold in your hand. I can do it, but the entire time I'm picturing fingers going between the beaters. I like whisks better, plus you get a nice workout! Also I'm afraid of the big kitchen knives, although I've been chopping watermelon to help reduce the fear and now I don't see quite as many severed fingers when I know I have to use it. I even made a watermelon bowl this weekend for a house party and filled it with chopped watermelon and it turned out beautifully!

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I have many irrational fears. I'm afraid of: glass, parking in strange places, roadwork, tornadoes and many other strange things that are very unlikely to hurt me. Luckily, I'm not afraid of any animals. I think I've died in a lot of strange ways in past lives. :)

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Ticks. They make my skin crawl just thinking about them. Where I live, they're pretty common, whereas in my old state, you never even heard of them. I've lived here for almost two years, and I still have managed to escape the burrowing bugs of death, thankfully!

Another one is mites. The thought of anything actually tunneling into any other creature's flesh is too much for me. I know that there's cream to get rid of it, and all that... but still. *Shiver*

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.