Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites very tiny black bugs on guinea pig

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I was petting one of my pigs today and I saw some very tiny black specks I look closer and I can see them moving! It looks like they are all over his butt. I would add pictures if I could but my dads camera is really cheap

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
It sounds like fleas :(

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
What should I do for fleas? No one in my family has got bitten yet... Should I just like give them a bath? I don't have any guinea pig shampoo

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
read over the link I sent to you, it has plenty of suggestions for what you can do for fleas like the use of Kitten Advantage.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
read over the link I sent to you, it has plenty of suggestions for what you can do for fleas like the use of Kitten Advantage.

I won't be able to buy anything at the moment. Could I like give them a bath with just warm water?

kairi26

Cavy Slave
Bathing doesn't do much to affect fleas unless the shampoo is medicated, and even then, it only affects adults. Flea treatments like advantage are the most effective for killing eggs and larvae. Water might wash away some of the fleas' waste, but it wouldn't drown or remove them.

You could try to remove some with a very fine toothed comb, but at some point you will need to medicate.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I am going to ask my dad to take me to the vet. It isn't a guinea pig vet but, the first visit is free and I could ask him to prescribe a guinea pig safe treatment. [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] or [MENTION=12813]CavyMama[/MENTION] Do you know what guinea pig safe treatments would be?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I have read about Revolution for Puppies and Kittens where would I get that? Do I get it from a vet or can I just go to a petstore and buy it?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
@CavyMama or [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] I might be taking them to the vet today so I would like to know if I will need to ask the vet for the Revolution for Puppies and Kittens

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
What about like flea shampoos for kittens? Or squeaky clean guinea pig shampoo? would that work for fleas?

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
No flea shampoos at all, they can be toxic for guinea pigs. The only special shampoo you could try is the Lice'n'Easy from Gorgeous Guineas, but it would have to ship from the UK. https://shop.gorgeousguineas.com/lice-n-easy-shampoo-30ml-50-p.asp

You can try bathing with Squeaky Clean but that's not going to kill all the bugs because you can't wash the piggie's face and there isn't anything toxic to insects in it.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
No flea shampoos at all, they can be toxic for guinea pigs. The only special shampoo you could try is the Lice'n'Easy from Gorgeous Guineas, but it would have to ship from the UK. https://shop.gorgeousguineas.com/lice-n-easy-shampoo-30ml-50-p.asp

You can try bathing with Squeaky Clean but that's not going to kill all the bugs because you can't wash the piggie's face and there isn't anything toxic to insects in it.

My dad said that we can't take them to the vet.... What should I get for the fleas?

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
You can get Kitten Advantage flea control. Also read the link for fleas I provided for you. It give you some things you can use.

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
The only problem [MENTION=35476]GiuneaPigLover[/MENTION] is that Advantage II (which was reformulated in 2011 and is basically all they sell now) is not cavy safe - https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2488

If you've got time, either order the Lice'n'Easy from Gorgeous Guineas, or get a flea comb and rubbing alcohol and follow the instructions from post #4 on this link: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/70272-How-to-treat-fleas-on-pigs

Also be aware that the fleas are on everything so you need to clean their cage like crazy and also all of the area around their cage, because if it is fleas and not lice then they can go after you as well.

But better would be to take your pig to the vet and get Revolution, but it's Rx only in the U.S.

Last edited:

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
The only problem @GiuneaPigLover is that Advantage II (which was reformulated in 2011 and is basically all they sell now) is not cavy safe - https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2488

If you've got time, either order the Lice'n'Easy from Gorgeous Guineas, or get a flea comb and rubbing alcohol and follow the instructions from post #4 on this link: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/70272-How-to-treat-fleas-on-pigs

Also be aware that the fleas are on everything so you need to clean their cage like crazy and also all of the area around their cage, because if it is fleas and not lice then they can go after you as well.

But better would be to take your pig to the vet and get Revolution, but it's Rx only in the U.S.

I have read that a homemade citrus spray works for like beds and stuff. Would it be alright to use this in my room?

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Citronella or citrus? There's a difference and I know citronella hurts fleas, I'm not so sure about citrus. I think it's going to be a lot of vacuuming and washing anything that can be washed (sheets, towels, stuffed animals etc.), not just spraying a citrus spray, unless you go see an exotics vet and get confirmation as to whether your pig has fleas or lice, because if it's lice then you don't need to clean neurotically because they can't live without a live host.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
Citronella or citrus? There's a difference and I know citronella hurts fleas, I'm not so sure about citrus. I think it's going to be a lot of vacuuming and washing anything that can be washed (sheets, towels, stuffed animals etc.), not just spraying a citrus spray, unless you go see an exotics vet and get confirmation as to whether your pig has fleas or lice, because if it's lice then you don't need to clean neurotically because they can't live without a live host.
I don't know the effectiveness, but many natural flea treatments are formulated with orange extract, cinnamon, clove, and a sulfate (detergent). I have no idea if these ingredients are cavy safe, but companies like Vet's Best make spray formulas out of these ingredients and I've heard positive anecdotes about them for dogs and cats.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Citrus. And I was planning on washing all the bedding and clothes in my room.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I really want to get rid of the fleas. Since I can't take them to a vet my dad says if it comes down to it I will have to take my pigs to an animal shelter! I really don't want that to happen!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.