Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes New Piggie with Crusted Eye

teemoethy

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

I've had my piggie for 2 weeks and he has a crusted left eye. I went to the vet today who gave me an eye drop for him. I administered a drop at 6PM. At 7PM I noticed his eye was closed shut.
Now, 3 hours later, his eye is still crusted shut. I have tried wiping his eye clean with a wet paper towel/Q-tip, but he got scared and ran away every time (he isn't fully comfortable with me yet since I just recently got him).
Do you guys have any tips in getting his eye open?

Thank you,

teemoethy

Cavy Gazer
I forgot to mention, when I give him the eye drop he immediately scratches his eye with his foot. Will that ruin the effect of the drop?

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Are there other signs aside from the crusted eye? How is his breathing? Any discharge in his nose? Do you hear any hooting or raspy noises?

teemoethy

Cavy Gazer
Are there other signs aside from the crusted eye? How is his breathing? Any discharge in his nose? Do you hear any hooting or raspy noises?

No, just the crusted eye. The vet did a full check up and he's okay besides the eye. His eye is still closed this morning :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pick him up, hold him firmly, and wipe his eye with a clean soft cloth, not a paper towel or a q-tip.

Since only one eye is affected, he may have a blocked tear duct. After cleaning the eye, very very VERY gently massage the inside corner of his eye, stroking down toward his nose. Do this a couple of times a day for a couple of days and see if you see any improvement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.