Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Little fruit fly flying around cage?

Margey

Cavy Slave
Hi,
We have been having a problem in our house now with little fruit flies. I'm smacking them with my hands quite frequently. I noticed one flying around in my guinea pigs's cage quite low to the fleece. Will the bug affect my guineas? Do I need to clean the cage? Thanks! ~Margey

petra python

Cavy Slave
They won't affect your guinea pig.but clean the cage out since its obvious something is attracting those pests loll.that happened to me because my boys left habit of melon in their pigloo

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had an infestation of some kind of flies, but if they were fruit flies, they weren't attracted to fruit or anything else sweet. I finally had to buy a bug zapper to get rid of them.

I don't know that your flies are particularly bad for the guinea pigs, but most flies can transmit organisms on their feet, so it's a good idea to get rid of them.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If you have drink from water bottles save a few. Poke holes all around them top 4 inches, put in 1/4 of apple cidar vinegar and 1/4 cup of water. You can add a bit of apple if you want. Put the lids on and make about 6 of them. Leave these traps in the rooms with the most flies and wait a few days they will all be gone but the few that get trapped in bathrooms and the like. I get them every summer when I buy a bunch of fruit and mellons and leave them on the counters to get ripe.

Margey

Cavy Slave
If you have drink from water bottles save a few. Poke holes all around them top 4 inches, put in 1/4 of apple cidar vinegar and 1/4 cup of water. You can add a bit of apple if you want. Put the lids on and make about 6 of them. Leave these traps in the rooms with the most flies and wait a few days they will all be gone but the few that get trapped in bathrooms and the like. I get them every summer when I buy a bunch of fruit and mellons and leave them on the counters to get ripe.

Thanks everyone for your responses, great fly trapper idea! Well I haven't noticed the little fruit fly there recently but will keep my eyes open. :) ~Margey

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Working part-time at Walmart I tend to bring home fruit flies even on my clothes. It's so annoying!!!! [MENTION=27327]lunarminx[/MENTION], never thought to use the water bottles for traps, thanks for the idea!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.