Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding Pigloo Ventilation?

SparkyTucker69

Cavy Slave
It has been brought to my attention that pigloos do not have proper ventilation and when piggies are in them, they are pretty much breathing in their own fumes, which can cause problems like URIs. I have two pigloos in my 2x5 and absolutely love them, so is there a way to increase the air flow, perhaps making the holes larger?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd cut another whole door for them in the back side, as well as drilling some holes in the top and around the sides. You should be able to do that with a jigsaw and a very fine blade for the door, and a large drill bit for the holes.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If the edges are sharp, you can sand them. Or you can seal them with a flame, like from a candle. You definitely want to seal them outside, though, so you won't have the plastic fumes in the house.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
i don't thinks it's the pigloo's, i think it's more a matter of making sure the guinea pigs are always dry. i've had thirteen guinea pigs over the years, and not one has had a uri (nine lived between seven and ten years, and i have four young ones now). every day i put new bedding under their pigloos and log houses, and do a full clean once a week. up until now they've all lived on kiln-dried pine shavings, but soon i plan to switch to fleece and still keep it always clean and dry.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I would also think it would help if you raised them up just a bit. Maybe use clips to make "legs" that would raise them just a 1/4-1/2 inch to help with air flow. Just another idea to consider.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I really like that idea @barbaramudge! But would it be legs like a table? Because some pigs might try to get in the pigloo in between the legs by going under, instead of through the door, and for that to work it'd have to be raised pretty high.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use pigloos and/or foot stools in my cages. Right now I have one of each in each cage and let the pigs decide which to use. My seniors always sleep in their double pigloo now. I don't know if it's warmer or they're more secure in there but they weren't the bond two of my trio. Wolfbane was bonded with Rigatoni and Wishbone was the dominant guinea pig. After Wolfbane passed, Rigatoni and Wishbone slowly started to interact more. Once I put the pigloo in, they started sleeping together and even snuggling close. I think they key is keeping the cage clean so they don't lay in their waste where and breathe in bacteria.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I really like that idea @barbaramudge! But would it be legs like a table? Because some pigs might try to get in the pigloo in between the legs by going under, instead of through the door, and for that to work it'd have to be raised pretty high.

Well I don't have a pigloo to test it on but no, I was thinking more like bulldog clips on the bottom off set to raise it just enough to get some air flow. No more than say 1/2 inch. More like spacers than legs. I don't think I have anything to show what I mean.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
This is the best I can do for an example. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It won't do much for air circulation at the level of the pig's nose.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
You don't think, in combination with other holes, that it would help improve air flow? I know this wouldn't help all by itself but I thought it would improve circulation, like a sweater drying rack. I would definitely use more than two clips but that's all I had laying around.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, other holes would help. But it seems like a lot of work to me when a 99-cent step stool works very well with no modification.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Oh! I don't disagree but OP sounded like she really wanted to keep the pigloos so that's why I suggested it.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
See I have a "flipper" so if you put that in with Minnie it'll be toppled over in seconds lol But I get what you mean now! I was picturing it like on mini legs like a tiny table or something haha.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.