Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Has KMS 2nd cut timothy hay caused anyone any problems?

Cherryblossom

Cavy Slave
Hi all! A couple weeks ago I noticed blood in my guinea pigs' urine and soft stools. X-rays showed no stones, and they were put on medications for infection. Well, I realized the time the soft stools and blood in urine started was about the time I switched from kaytee to KMS hay. I know kaytee hay isn't good quality so I switched. Thinking it could be the problem, I switched back to kaytee for now. I don't know whether it is due to the switch or the medication, but the blood in urine is gone. Could the hay could be the problem? I have a huge box of hay left and don't know if it's safe to use or not. Also, their stool is still a bit soft and crumbly, as if they stepped in it, but not so bad. I'm also going on vacation to a beach condo soon for five days and they're coming with me (2 hours away) so I'd hate to take that hay and realize it's causing them issues. Any suggestions?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It is extremely doubtful that hay would cause blood in your pig's urine.

It's more likely that one of your pigs has a urinary tract infection, or even a stone. Bladder stones can cause intermittent bleeding. It's also possible that one of your pigs has sludge, which then irritates and can cause bleeding.

I would separate them by putting a divider in the cage, bed on white or light colored towels, and see which one is bleeding.

Cherryblossom

Cavy Slave
None of them is bleeding or has any problems with urine now. Like I said, they were x-rayed for stones and they were put on medications for urinary tract infections. So then if the hay wouldn't cause the blood in their urine, could it cause soft stools? If not, I'd try using the hay again.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Any change in diet can cause soft stools.

I'm sorry, I thought you meant the bleeding occurred after they were off the antibiotic. I should have read more carefully.

Again, it's doubtful the hay itself caused the bleeding.

Cherryblossom

Cavy Slave
No, that's fine! I haven't made changes in diet, but I guess the hay is safe to use then...

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You could start small. Maybe mix in some of the KMs with the other stuff.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.