Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General supplies?

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
what is a good website to order supplies in bulk??? food, bedding, hay, etc?

also, what kind of bedding do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I use Aspen Bedding and get my stuff from Amazon and by Pellets from the Local Feed Mill sadly I'm currently using Hay sold at Walmart the only thing I by in Bulk is Bedding

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
i use walmart hay and my piggys LOVE it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Piggies love hay, period. I use oxbow hay and kaytee pellets at petsmart. I just see a around avoiding pet stores. I just don't buy live animals from pet stores.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Piggies love hay, period. I use oxbow hay and kaytee pellets at petsmart. I just see a around avoiding pet stores. I just don't buy live animals from pet stores.

How much does a bag of Oxbow cost so i can switch over my current hay costs about 3 dollars

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I order in bulk off of amazon I have prime so I can get it with the two day shipping.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
How much does a bag of Oxbow cost so i can switch over my current hay costs about 3 dollars

It cost 7 bucks for a small bag depending on where you live. If your Walmart hay cost 3 bucks, I don't think it quality hay. You want Timothy hay at least. Alfalfa hay for piggies under 6 months. Hay must be available 24/7.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
It cost 7 bucks for a small bag depending on where you live. If your Walmart hay cost 3 bucks, I don't think it quality hay. You want Timothy hay at least. Alfalfa hay for piggies under 6 months. Hay must be available 24/7.
The brand is a subsidiary of Kaytee says the back

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
There are other brands that are decent. I mix the more expensive Oxbow Hays (of various kinds) in with my timothy hay. I happen to feed a different kind of Timothy because the Oxbow alone will just fall through my hay rack, and the longer Timothy helps stop that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Small bags of hay are by FAR the most expensive you can buy. You're probably paying more than $2.50 per pound for hay that's probably dry and not very appetizing.

You can buy boxes of hay online that will be much fresher for about $1.50 pound or less, including shipping. It comes in 40-60 boxes, and will last for months.

The cheapest hay you can get is from a local farmer if you've got one near you that grows grass hay. A bale of hay from them will cost $20 or less and last for well over a year if you've got somewhere to store it.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Also I use fleece because scooping and trashing that much carefresh was a pain and super expensive. I've followed directions on here and made my own "lazy" fleece bedding. I just cut two uhaul pads the right size and an oversize piece of fleece. I wrap the fleece around the uhaul - to prevent digging damage - and put in the cage. Make a few changes of these and change it 2x a week. IMG_4800.jpg Not the best example here because it's bunched up, but I fixed that.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
There are other brands that are decent. I mix the more expensive Oxbow Hays (of various kinds) in with my timothy hay. I happen to feed a different kind of Timothy because the Oxbow alone will just fall through my hay rack, and the longer Timothy helps stop that.

Oh yes I know ZiggyPig today I was able to get to Oxbow

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
All my Guinea Pig did with oxbow was trash it she litterly took it out the hay area and she never poops there either and litterly pooped all over the Oxbow hay she hasn't eaten it at all

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
mine prefer the orchard blend from Oxbow mixed with their plain Timothy. But, piggies are picky and Oxbow is not the be all, end all. Look around online for hay to order in bulk.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
mine prefer the orchard blend from Oxbow mixed with their plain Timothy. But, piggies are picky and Oxbow is not the be all, end all. Look around online for hay to order in bulk.

Ziggy do your pigs ever argue in a 2x4 cage?

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Ziggy do your pigs ever argue in a 2x4 cage?

On occasion in a minor way, but they were about 1 when they were brought to the store to be rehomed and they have always lived together - first year in a tiny pet-store cage.
The most arguing I ever hear is the occasional teeth chatter or rumbles. But they utilize the loft all the time. Both of them love it and there is a fleece forest up there so they can escape each other.
They are pretty attached to each other though so other than the occasional stuff, they are happy.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
The brand is a subsidiary of Kaytee says the back

I don't know the quality of kaytee hay but I itch with oxbow pellets, or I would buy only oxbow. That and Shiemi wouldn't eat the oxbow. Kaytee is so bad about "treats" made for guinea pigs when they are NOT quality treats and are bad for piggies! I bet the brand you are buying it a combination hay. Be careful with that. Not all hay is good for piggies. Some hay can choke piggies small throats and are okay for rabbits.

i love your cage! Mine is the same size. I plan on cleaning out a spare room and expanding my Midwest cage. I'm about to get the expansion soon. I'm going to put the cage on plastic crates and use the "cubbies" as storage space.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.