Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Bathtub as a Cage?

Cheuba

Cavy Gazer
I'm a beginner guinea pig enthusiast.

Was wondering if I can use a Bathtub as a substitute for a cage? a bathtub fits the size requirements for two guinea pigs. It's easier to clean. The only thing I would add is some towels to dampen the ground and make it softer for the guineau pigs.

What's the pros and cons?

Kelsey36

Cavy Slave
I think as a temporary cage, it would work as long as you don't mind losing the use of that bathtub. It may be a bit small long term, depending on the size of the tub. I'd also add a layer of fleece on top of the towels, so they're not standing on a damp surface. There are several great threads about why you need fleece and how to use it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't want the ground damp. You'll be inviting bumblefoot. Follow @Kelsey36's advice about the fleece.

But the pigs really need to be where they can interact with the family more. You'll see them very seldom in the bathroom. What's the point of having them if you can't enjoy watching them?

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
And they are a ton of fun to watch when they are chasing each other around the cage, or popcorning. It's hysterical!!!

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Why are you considering putting them in the tub? Is there a specific reason you want to keep them in the bathroom?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Are you sure your bathtub fits the minimum size requirements for two pigs? Mine definitely doesn't, and keep in mind that boars require more room than sows.

Also, if by "easy to clean" you're planning to use the bathtub's drain and faucet, you'll almost definitely end up with a clogged drain eventually. Hay gets everywhere.

TL;DR, you could, I suppose, if you have a particularly large bathtub, but I don't really understand why you'd want to.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And they are a ton of fun to watch when they are chasing each other around the cage, or popcorning. It's hysterical!!!

Got a pair of two month old boars with Sly now, hysterical isn't the word. They're crazy! Sometimes I gotta wonder if they aren't going to hurt themselves lol.

Cheuba

Cavy Gazer
Are you sure your bathtub fits the minimum size requirements for two pigs? Mine definitely doesn't, and keep in mind that boars require more room than sows.

Also, if by "easy to clean" you're planning to use the bathtub's drain and faucet, you'll almost definitely end up with a clogged drain eventually. Hay gets everywhere.

TL;DR, you could, I suppose, if you have a particularly large bathtub, but I don't really understand why you'd want to.

@new2piggs Thanks for your speedy responses. My apartment is only 400 Square feet so I was trying to save space, money and time when cleaning the guinea pigs by using the bathtub as the cage :p

How much noise do the little pigs make?

lissie

Cavy Slave
@new2piggs Thanks for your speedy responses. My apartment is only 400 Square feet so I was trying to save space, money and time when cleaning the guinea pigs by using the bathtub as the cage [emoji14]

If you house your pigs in your bathtub, do you have another bathroom to use?

If you're going to be using the same bathroom, I don't recommend it. Moisture can make the hay moldy, and may also make your pigs sick.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave

Depends on the personality of the pigs, but typically they're not terribly loud unless they're begging for food or squabbling.
And yeah, in an apartment it'd definitely make more sense to use a C&C cage on a table, you can save space by making your own and fitting it to a corner or some other oddly-shaped area that doesn't get much use.

Cheuba

Cavy Gazer
Depends on the personality of the pigs, but typically they're not terribly loud unless they're begging for food or squabbling.
And yeah, in an apartment it'd definitely make more sense to use a C&C cage on a table, you can save space by making your own and fitting it to a corner or some other oddly-shaped area that doesn't get much use.

@lissie Thank you both for all your help and speedy responses :)!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I would highly suggest figuring out a space other than the bathtub. It may take some furniture moving, but it will be worth it.

My bedroom in my university house is just over 100 square feet. I'm able to fit a double bed, a big desk, bookshelf, huge mirror and a 2x6 C&C cage. It took some figuring out but it has worked wonderfully and I still have space to move around my bedroom.

They aren't horribly loud at all, I do most of my studying at my desk which is close to their cage. At night I do generally sleep with a fan on so that covers ant basic noises that 6 guinea pigs make. i never have any issues sleeping due to sound.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Whether you can keep them in the bedroom entirely depends on how deep a sleeper you are. If the sound of them drinking from a water bottle will wake you, no, and my baby cousin couldn't nap in my room, but I'm a deep sleeper and have never had trouble keeping them in my room.

EDIT: Also, you're welcome and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
My other concern with a tub would be temperature. My tub is cold! This would be a problem for me but I guess it would depend on where you live etc. just food for thought.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't put them in the tub, it's cold and dark, and you won't have the interaction with them. I hope you're able to come up with a better solution. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.