Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Possible Lethal at Petco

alanaafaye

Cavy Slave
A few weeks ago my local Petco got in new female piggies. One of them looked to me like it could be a lethal, she was solid white with red eyes that she kept squinted very small. It's been a few weeks and she is the only one that hasn't sold yet. My boyfriend is agreeing to helping care for it, if she is indeed lethal. I just can't bear the thought of someone getting her and not providing her with special care.

Do you think she looks like one? How can I convince the petco people to give her to me if so? Obviously I am going to check her teeth out tomorrow. IMG_20150216_084309.jpgIMG_20150216_084309.jpg

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
As horrible as it would be, can you just buy her? PetSmart here sells guinea pigs for about $37. I don't know that I could justify the cost but if they find out she's a lethal, they may just put her down :/ I'd buy her before they figure it out! :( poor baby

alanaafaye

Cavy Slave
I definitely could purchase her, I'd just really prefer to not pay them money & allow them to profit from their irresponsible breeding. I keep hoping if I tell them there is something so majorly wrong with her that they will let me have her just so they don't have to worry about it.

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
I know :( I wouldn't want to either but...I'd be so scared they'd say "What do you mean wrong with her? If she's sick I guess we'll have to put her down." and that would be bad. Ugh. I'd be so torn!

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
I honestly don't think they'll let you have her, since it's their policy not to sell or give out "damaged" guinea pigs since it might cause a few legalities for them; or so their policy supposedly says. :( I think if you tell them, they'll send her back to the breeder they bought her from and let them handle her since she might cause them more money.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
I honestly don't think they'll let you have her, since it's their policy not to sell or give out "damaged" guinea pigs since it might cause a few legalities for them; or so their policy supposedly says. :( I think if you tell them, they'll send her back to the breeder they bought her from and let them handle her since she might cause them more money.

Where did you get that from, may I ask? The brutal honesty of it is that they will euthanize before going through the trouble of sending her back. I've worked with a large store taking in their "damaged" animals. My papers simply stated you are not allowed to talk about why you got that pet for "adoption".

However convincing them to just give her to you can be difficult.

Last edited:

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Could you possibly, just an idea, tell them about the lethal and offer to take her from them. If they say or act like they will get her put down, say that you'll buy her!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't even mention that she might be a lethal, if you could purchase her, just do it.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I don't know PetCo's policy. If she was at PetSmart, you might stand a chance convincing them to allow you to adopt her. At PetCo I don't think they have "free adoptions". I think they do discount animals sometimes though.

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
Where did you get that from, may I ask? The brutal honesty of it is that they will euthanize before going through the trouble of sending her back. I've worked with a large store taking in their "damaged" animals. My papers simply stated you are not allowed to talk about why you got that pet for "adoption".

However convincing them to just give her to you can be difficult.
My Petco literally told me that when I had called them to tell them that Coffee Bean had some missing fur around her ear and a large scab. They asked to take her back so they could return her to the breeder because they wouldn't want to have a guinea pig sold from them in a less than perfect condition. Their general manager said that it was their policy to return all "damaged" guinea pigs (and yes those were her words) to the breeder they received them from so they wouldn't have to deal with any legalities or have to pay any money for vet visits.

Maybe it varies where you're from???

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Are you going to take her???

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You don't know for sure if she's a lethal. Examine her, and see if she has all her teeth.

I've observed many a guinea pig at the big box pet stores with squinty eyes.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I don't know PetCo's policy. If she was at PetSmart, you might stand a chance convincing them to allow you to adopt her. At PetCo I don't think they have "free adoptions". I think they do discount animals sometimes though.

They do. I got my first pig as a free adoption from Petco because he was older and passed over so many times.

alanaafaye

Cavy Slave
I went to check her out today and she was gone. Super disappointed, but hopefully she wasn't a lethal and is in a good home now.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
My guess is that if she was able to survive first the mill, then Petco, she probably wasn't a lethal. They die very early without special care.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I hope she is in a better home now. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.