Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Please no hate

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Vets have absolutely no way to know whether or not an animal is coming down with a disease until it starts showing symptoms, and it's already contagious before then. They also usually can't tell whether or not they have mites. So a vet check for putting pigs together is worthless.

If you're going to put them together for floor time, then what's the point of quarantine?

I think you've already broken quarantine, so I'd just introduce them. You can always hope she's not contagious with some disease or parasite.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Awesome thanks! @Princess_Piggie

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks. My dad is just took her to make sure she wasn't hurt or anything since she cried when got picked up but doesn't anymore @bpatters

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
First of all, I know how hard it can be to turn your back on an animal in need. Most of us here are women or girls, and females are nurturing in nature. However, I still don't think what you did was right. I agree about introducing her to Bailey and Emmy today and skipping quarantine. If she really is only three weeks old, then she really needs a friend right now. Plus, I think quarantine has already been broken. Keeping them separated longer would just be more stressful for her. By the way, are you sure she's a female? Pet stores are notorious for sexing wrong. As for names, I suggest:

• Peanut
  • Acorn
  • Fawn
  • Sandy
  • Hazel
  • Polka Dot
  • Lolly
  • Molly
  • Pippa
  • Squeaks
Keep us updated!

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Awwww I really like Fawn. But I did Mocha because i went to give her a bigger hideout and was Okay Mocha and I had meant to say baby. Fawn will be her middle name tho @LoveMyHerd

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
And yes she's female.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you turn her over and compare her to your other pigs? Non-exotic vets are often not very good at sexing young cavies.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Yes I did. I did it with Bailey my calmer pig. I took a pic and then compared it @bpatters. I sexed both Bailey and Emmy.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Yea, vet check doesn't mean much at all. Sometimes they don't even pick up on early symptoms because they don't see the guinea pig in an environment it's more comfortable. They hide symptoms and look more alert when in a more stressful situation. We got a pet store guinea pig a few years ago and if you didn't know guinea pig behavior you wouldn't think anything was wrong. He just wasn't quite normal. He kept curling up in the blankets when out and not really alert. Less than 2 weeks later he was dead despite attempted treatment. If we'd had other pigs at the time they might have all gotten sick, required vet bills which *start* at $40 usually each before meds, and could even have risked death of any other pigs. That is one reason not to get pet store guinea pigs besides the bigger picture of how the pig you buy is replaced. It's also a very very good example of why you quarantine and especially quarantine pet store pigs.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Well she just hides but so did my other GPs when I got them. She seems very fine but I'll watch her. Like I said he took her to make sure she wasn't hurt and I told him ask if she's sick to. But just in case what should I watch did for?@aqh88

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I tried intros but I didn't realize my other girls were in heat and they also smelled the other pet store guinea pigs on her so yea. My other two attacked each other and one atackes the baby and then the other attacks the one attacking the baby because the baby cried out. It was just little nips but yeah. My dad said to do re intros this weekend. How do I introduce trios. And also I have another photo

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Baby Mocha all stretched out

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1418313553319.jpg

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I meant that Mocha smelled of pet store pigs

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Thanks @bpatters. She does smell kinda funky so if I get a warm wash cloth and put it down her back twice and then dry and cuddle her would that be okay?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.