Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Hand washing. Help?

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
Recently, someone had complained about the fur on their clothes after washing them in the washing machine, which I had used to wash the fleece and towels, and told me to hand wash my cavy stuff instead. Either in the sink or in a bucket outside. I'm planning on washing it in the sink, especially during winter.

Does anyone have any experience in hand washing fleece and towels? And what materials should I buy? I doubt that I should be using detergent. Or could I?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can use detergent -- no difference doing it with detergent by hand or in the washing machine. You just have to rinse it well.

Check your washing machine filter -- it may be full and not trapping the hair. Or wipe the tub out after you wash the fleece and towels. Or, if you want to put in an insane amount of effort, you can vacuum the hair off before you wash it. I'm too lazy to do that, and that's why I hate fleece.

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
I shake the crap out of my fleece/towel (they're sewn together). Making sure all the poos and hay is off. Then I get some good tape (like duct tape - grey stuff) and remove the hair. I've never had problems with hair in my laundry. I wash in regular detergent (no softener added) and a very small amount of bleach. No stinky fleece either.

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
I used detergent when I hand washed it, just very little, then really wrung out as much water as I could could and rinsed it as many times at necessary for the soap to be completely out. Then I hung it outside to dry.

I've heard that using a rubber glove and rubbing it over the fleece helps get the hair off, I just used packing tape the same way @tabikat55 used duct tape.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.