Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Diy pet safe air freshener?

CreamCheese

Cavy Slave
So my guinea pig cage is started to stink up my room a bit. It isn't very strong but it is bothering me a bit at night. I was just wondering if any of you know how to make a pet safe air freshener? Please let me know! Thanks :eek:

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd skip the air freshener and just clean the cage more often. If your cage isn't large enough, it might be getting smelly too quickly.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
You could try getting an air purifier if you have the money for it, just make sure it's not blowing towards the cage.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
I'd skip the air freshener and just clean the cage more often. If your cage isn't large enough, it might be getting smelly too quickly.

^ Definitely second this. I use wood pellets + fleece and my cages NEVER stinks. My mom - who is very sensitive to smells - constantly remarks how great it is that their cage not only never reeks, but actually smells nice. (the hay-smell and all that)

The safest DIY air fresheners I can think of would be diluted essential oils, but fixing the actual problem of your cage being stinky, rather than just covering it up, would help a lot more.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No air fresheners are safe for you or your pigs. You need better bedding, or more frequent cage cleaning.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
^I use wood pellets + fleece and my cages NEVER stinks.
I completely agree. Wood pellets and fleece are wonderful.

CreamCheese

Cavy Slave
-I have a 4 by one bottom and a 2 by one top
-I clean the guinea pig cage twice a week and spot clean everyday
-I have fleece and newspaper bedding
-I don't have enough room for a bigger cage and I can't afford to buy even more bedding, nor can I afford an air purifier, my family has to save most of our money. The most I can spend is probably around $20 maximum. Any ideas that you could build off of that? Thanks.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
4x1 is not big enough for a guinea pig. 1 guinea pig needs a 2x3 C&C cage. If you don't have space for a bigger cage why did you get a guinea pig in the first place? Not trying to offend you by any means but you need to be a responsible owner and try to give your pet the best conditions. Your cage probably stinks because it's such a small place that by the end of the end is full of pee/poop everywhere.

I have a 2x4 and I have to change the pee pads every other day because where the pigs pee the most it starts smelling a bit and it's completely wet after 2 days.
I don't really know what to say about this situation but I'd consider expanding the cage at some point and also getting your guinea pig a cage mate. Guinea pigs are herd animals, I'm sure you know that already.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
You are using fleece on top of only newspapers? Newspaper is not very absorbent, I suggest using 2-3 layers of towels underneath to absorb all the urine. This will surely help.

pinky

Cavy Slave
-I have a 4 by one bottom and a 2 by one top
-I clean the guinea pig cage twice a week and spot clean everyday
-I have fleece and newspaper bedding
-I don't have enough room for a bigger cage and I can't afford to buy even more bedding, nor can I afford an air purifier, my family has to save most of our money. The most I can spend is probably around $20 maximum. Any ideas that you could build off of that? Thanks.

You should be able to squeeze in a 2x3 if you put it on a dresser or let it extend into a closet. It's not that much larger. I'd take the cage apart and turn it into a 2x3 which is large enough for one. You can use a shower curtain for the base or go to your local political party headquarters and ask if they have any signs they're getting rid of. That's a way to get free coroplast. It'll have writing on it but it doesn't matter. Your cage will be large enough for fleece and towels. If money is tight, what do you plan to do with your guinea pig needs vet care? That's something that you need to consider now and not later. If you won't be able to afford it, I'd consider rehoming your guinea pig while it's healthy so someone will want it. If you decide to try and rehome if it's sick, there's a good chance it will end up being euthanized because no one will want a sick guinea pig.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Newspaper will stink as soon as its pissed on. At least use the wood pellets, a 40 pound bag will cost $6 and should last about 4-8 weeks and you use it under the fleece that will keep the odor down so much better. As you know, your cage minimum for one pig should be a 2x3, get rid of the loft and make a 2x4, they will get more from that over the loft.

CreamCheese

Cavy Slave
Well I kept the loft because when I took it down my guinea pig seemed upset and wasn't as active so I put it back and she was okay. I'm going to buy another set of grids for Christmas if I can, but I will make sure that she gets at least two more feet of space. Also some of you are coming off as rude (not all of you) just so you know I'm only 12. I buy the grids, bedding, food, hay, litter box, and everything completely on my own. Every once in a while my parents will give me five dollars for food but that's it. A lot of you think that I shouldn't have got a guinea pig in the first place if I don't have enough room but at first I did until my dad lost his job and we had to move to a new house. I would rather sacrifice part of the cage than my entire guinea pig. I'm only 12 and I have two jobs. I work much harder than you probably think and I'm trying very hard to give her a good life. And I AM giving her the best life I can. I just can't give her the best life that YOU guys can. My guinea pig has more toys and accessories than I do. To me that shows good owner ship. It's okay if you say that the cage is to small and just give me some advice, but it's not okay to say that I'm not giving her the best life possible. If your going to say something like that learn the persons background. My whole life revolves around her and I've been trying so hard to give her a good life and it doesn't feel good when I'm told that I don't care about my guinea pig.

Kristi26

Cavy Slave
I know you said you're young and can't afford much, but I'd get a bag of wood pellets from tractor supply. They are only $6 for the bag and you can use the same ones in the cage for at least 2 months. Watch some videos on here about it. That's what my 9 year old and I did for her piggies. They don't smell at all anymore. Hope that helps!

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
@CreamCheese I appreciate you standing up for yourself (in a very mature way). I agree, some people can get very judgmental on here. You are certainly not the first to be treated this way.

A CALL TO EVERYONE: Let's just all help each other rather than jumping on someone for past mistakes. Offer advice in a friendly and helpful tone.

So to your question, I actually prefer Uhaul blankets as the absorbent layer. I've tried wood pellets and found they were only slightly better at odor control, but a bigger pain to work with. You can buy a Uhaul blanket for $8. They are REALLY big. Then go to Walmart and buy 3 or 4 of the fleece throws for $2.88. That should probably be enough to make two sets of liners for your cage (you need two, one in the cage and one in the wash). If you know someone who sews, they could help you sew the layers together, which helps the Uhaul last longer.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Actually CavyChrissy, I think she/he would do better just using one layer of fleece over the pellets. It can be washed in the tub and dries very quick and the pellets will last months that way. Nothing beats the pellets for odor control and if the size of the cage is more narrow than normal, it would really help.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Actually CavyChrissy, I think she/he would do better just using one layer of fleece over the pellets. It can be washed in the tub and dries very quick and the pellets will last months that way. Nothing beats the pellets for odor control and if the size of the cage is more narrow than normal, it would really help.

I think everyone has to try things and see what works for them. I did try one layer of fleece over wood pellets as you suggested for a few months, but mine still got stinky. Not sure if it was the particular pellets I used. And my pellets always ended up being an uneven surface, which made it hard to sweep up poops. For me, the biggest downside was that the pellets always stuck to the back of the fleece and I made a big mess of them every time I changed the fleece. I was changing the fleece twice a week. So I figured I'd try Uhaul and even if I have to change it twice a week (which I do), at least it's easier to change. And the Uhaul lays very flat in the cage, which appeals to my neat-freak tendencies!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I think everyone has to try things and see what works for them. I did try one layer of fleece over wood pellets as you suggested for a few months, but mine still got stinky. Not sure if it was the particular pellets I used. And my pellets always ended up being an uneven surface, which made it hard to sweep up poops. For me, the biggest downside was that the pellets always stuck to the back of the fleece and I made a big mess of them every time I changed the fleece. I was changing the fleece twice a week. So I figured I'd try Uhaul and even if I have to change it twice a week (which I do), at least it's easier to change. And the Uhaul lays very flat in the cage, which appeals to my neat-freak tendencies!

That is true about it sticking to the back of the fleece. I was just thinking for them the cage is a 1x4 so the pellets would keep the odor down better. Hell I am going on 3 months for mine and the only part that stinks any time is the wet on hay that gets dumped.

CreamCheese

Cavy Slave
Thanks Cavy Chrissy, honestly I thought I was going to get more hate for writing that...anyway I found out the reason my cage was stinking was because it wasn't actually her cage...she had apparently gotten into my closet and did some business in there. It was not fun to clean up but oh well...

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
Thanks Cavy Chrissy, honestly I thought I was going to get more hate for writing that...anyway I found out the reason my cage was stinking was because it wasn't actually her cage...she had apparently gotten into my closet and did some business in there. It was not fun to clean up but oh well...

Haha at least you got that fixed. I'm a younger piggie owner on here as well although my Dad pays for food and such so I can feel your problem. But after a while using newspaper actually will start to stink up your cage. I actually use Towel + Fleece and it works really good. If you have any extra old towels it won't cost any money and all you need to do is wash and re-use. If I may say you have enough grids to make a 2x3 and I think you really should. Check out your room size and see if you could get rid of something (while earning money in the process) to gain more space. Or just rearrange around your cage using room plans! If you have something that has a flat surface see if you could build a cage right on it. I know my old dresser had the perfect surface for a cage. All you would need is a drill and a shower curtain +some fleece. If you put your mind to it you could definitely find some cheap alternatives as well.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What are wood pellets? I heard of wood chips.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.