Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Weird question about jumping?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
So Pappy Papperson has a sleeping platform in his cage. I'd say probably 4" off the floor. When I first built it I provided him with a tunnel step to get up there but he never used it so I took it out. He prefers to just jump. 90% of the time there's no problem but sometimes he just doesn't make it. It seems like he has more trouble after cage cleanings. I try to pack his bedding down well so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm worried about him hurting himself. Do you think he could? I'd hate to take the platform out cause he really seems to love it. I tried putting the step back in but he won't do it and I don't want him to fall on it trying to jump next to it. He has 2" of care fresh to land on. Think he'll be ok or should I remove his platform? I'm gonna have to take it out on the 18th because he's getting neutered but I was going to let him keep it till then. Thanks for your help!

Kirtini

Cavy Slave
My pigs are fine with fairly high (less than 6") platforms, they love jumping around. They've even climbed over into each other's cages, which is a 14" drop, and been completely okay. As long as the fall isn't more than 5 or 6 inches, your boy should be fine :) guinea pigs are just clumsy sometimes.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine used to jump all the time when they were younger. They've given it up as they've aged.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking of adding a platform as well! Would you mind sharing a picture, @barbaramudge?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking of adding a platform as well! Would you mind sharing a picture, @barbaramudge?

It's just a grid with Coro on it and a pad. It's in his temp cage, which is a store cage. He's getting neutered next week so he can go in with the girls. He spends 3/4 of his day in a larger playpen. He was suppose to be a buddy for Colonel Mustard but that just didn't work out. :(

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
Funny my boys have coroplast ramps to their platforms but prefer to jump as well. It's very entertaining and the few times I've seen them miss they look around like "What the heck" lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.