Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting My 2 male guinea pigs are fighting since I got a new baby guinea pig

hestavilla1

Cavy Slave
Hey guys

I just need an advice about my situation right now. Ever since I got my 2 month old guinea pig (his name is fluffy). My two boy Munchkin and S'mores(roughly 5 months old) are fighting now. I don't see any blood draw yet but they're chasing and teeth chattering. I just worried that the fluffy would be so stressed about this since the two boys humps to him too. I hope I'll find a way to calm the boys down I'm just worried about them.

Hannah

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Boar trios RARELY work, and when they do you needs pigs that are very, very mellow, not two in puberty. Further, you need a large cage if you plan on continuing with all three in one, and that's assuming you can get them to get along.

Best advice would be to get a second good sized cage, and a new friend for Fluffy.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Agree with the above advice. Until you do, make sure all hideouts have at least 2 exits so one of your boys doesn't get trapped and hurt from another pig. Also, review the guidelines to make sure your cage(s) are big enough, for two boars a 2x5 CXC is recommended. https://www.guineapigcages.com/ Bigger is always better :)

Good luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Agreed. Three boars is almost always a recipe for disaster. You'd be better off with another cage and having two pair, but you may already have destroyed the relationship between your original two. It's entirely possible to try to put three boars together and wind up with three solo pigs.

hestavilla1

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the help guys. I'll be upgrading my cage soon so I'll have more space but how many males can you put in a big cage? Is four gonna be more better? Since three is a no go?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Four probably won't work, either. Two pairs will be your best bet?

How large is your current cage? You'll need 16+ square feet for three boars. Add another 2.5 square feet for another pig.

hestavilla1

Cavy Slave
Four probably won't work, either. Two pairs will be your best bet?

How large is your current cage? You'll need 16+ square feet for three boars. Add another 2.5 square feet for another pig.
I have 2 midwest cage but I separated them cuz I have to. I wanted to have a bigger family but I guess it won't work out

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A midwest cage is nowhere near large enough for two boars. It's not even quite large enough for two sows.

hestavilla1

Cavy Slave
I added a 2nd level and my other playpen for them. It's my homemade cage [emoji28]
A midwest cage is nowhere near large enough for two boars. It's not even quite large enough for two sows.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I added a 2nd level and my other playpen for them. It's my homemade cage [emoji28]

You need one large flat level that's at least 16sq.ft.

You can add another Midwest cage and flatten the side where the cage connects.

Last edited:

CavyMama

Cavy Slave

Multi leveled cages don't work for adding space. Guinea pigs need a flat one-level area to run laps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.