Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Do I keep a mom and baby together?

Muzikangelbaby

Cavy Gazer
We are new to the guinea pig world as of last weekend. I have been bombarded with people telling me I should have not gotten just one and I need to have another one. The one we got is almost 2 months old and a female. I went back to talk to the staff and they don’t have any other babies but they do still have our baby’s mom. Should I adopt the mom or get a baby from a different litter? Or are we going to be fine with just the one? Any suggestions help!!

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I would think taking baby's mom would be a good solution. You can always wait and get another female from a different litter, but since mom and baby are directly related and already know each other, they'd be highly likely to get along well. Just make absolutely sure before you adopt the mom that the baby you have is definitely, 100% female.

Muzikangelbaby

Cavy Gazer
I’m mostly wondering if there is going to be any different behavior issues between a mom and baby vs peers that anyone has experienced.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I wouldnt think so. If anything I think they'd get along better.

That was my thinking, too. Pigs that are directly related tend to have a better chance of getting along than two unrelated pigs. Plus, since one is the mother of the other, the dominance ranking is already somewhat established, so they won't have to waste a lot of time and stress figuring that out.

Muzikangelbaby

Cavy Gazer
Thanks you guys!

anithadixon

Cavy Slave
Mom daughter pair sounds cool.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Mother daughter pairs work very well. Usually, since Mom is older and bigger she is automatically the boss. Sometimes "teenage" daughters will challenge her for dominance but it is usually settled quickly and without injury.

Clavilux

Cavy Slave
Mom and daughter pair looks amazing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.