Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems HELP!!! Flaky and scabby ear! :(

Dinghytheguinea

Cavy Slave
IMG_3399.jpgIMG_3400.jpgIMG_3401.jpg

So today, I went to go pick up my pig for some lap time and I saw how scabby his ear was. I then lifted it as shown in the pictures above and see that is it more than just scabby.
I got him 2 weeks ago from Pet Supermarket and he seemed to be in perfect shape.
He is acting normal. He jumps around when happy, purrs when pet, eats regularly and just normal...
I don't know what is wrong with him. Can anybody help?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. Get one of the creams mentioned for fungus (available at any pharmacy), and apply sparingly twice a day with a q-tip. Fungus is mildly contagious to humans, so wash your hand carefully after handling him.

If it doesn't get better in a week, or gets worse, post back her and we'll try an antibacterial treatment. You always start with fungus treatment first, because an antifungal medicine can make a bacterial infection worse, but not the other way around.

Dinghytheguinea

Cavy Slave
See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. Get one of the creams mentioned for fungus (available at any pharmacy), and apply sparingly twice a day with a q-tip. Fungus is mildly contagious to humans, so wash your hand carefully after handling him.

If it doesn't get better in a week, or gets worse, post back her and we'll try an antibacterial treatment. You always start with fungus treatment first, because an antifungal medicine can make a bacterial infection worse, but not the other way around.

Thanks for the reply. Are these the creams you're talking about? And do you have any recommendations as to which one is better?

• Miconazole cream (Monistat 7, Femizol-M – human OTC med), active ingredient: miconazole nitrate 2%
  • Clotrimazole (Gyne-Lotrimin, Mycelex, Lotrimin, Lotrisone), active ingredient clotrimazole 1%

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.