Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Orange Urine Spots

SkyyHag

Cavy Slave
Hello! I just joined today so this is my first post.

Our girl Popcorn is leaving orange urine spots (fresh, not sitting in cage for a while) on her white bedding.

A little background on Popcorn:

She is unfortunately from the petstore (before we knew better). When her cagemate suddenly passed (also from same petstore), we adopted her a new friend from a fantastic rescue orginaization in Los Angeles. The rescue owner predicted she was about 8 or 9 months. So that would put her at about 10 or 11 month now.

She just finished a massive round of medications for bloat, diarrhea, and a URI. (Anti-inflammatory, antibiotics, bloat medication, probiotics, critical care, and vitamin c). The very next day after finishing her last dose of meds, she starting leaving really orange urine spots around. We had her hanging out on a white blanket to monitor how fresh the orange was and it was quite freshly orange. It hadn't really had a chance to sit very long and oxidize.

She is showing no signs of pain or struggle while urinating. She is pooping regularly and eating regularly. We are slowly reintroducing veggies because of the diarrhea. She isn't eating any colored foods.

She had xrays done so we know there are no signs of stones and I find it hard to believe she contracted a UTI while already on antibiotics.

Does anyone have any idea? Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd just watch it for a few days. Orange urine isn't necessarily a sign of a UTI, and could be due to the meds she was on.

If she starts showing any signs of infection (puffed in pain, urine with a strong odor, blood in the urine), then get her back to the vet. Otherwise, give it a few days and see if it will clear up.

SkyyHag

Cavy Slave
I'd just watch it for a few days. Orange urine isn't necessarily a sign of a UTI, and could be due to the meds she was on.

If she starts showing any signs of infection (puffed in pain, urine with a strong odor, blood in the urine), then get her back to the vet. Otherwise, give it a few days and see if it will clear up.

Thank you. I am also noticing she isn't drinking as much water from the brand new bottle we bought her. She is usually a heavy drinker. I'm wondering if she is possibly dehydrated. I held the old bottle up to the cage and she just went to town. I will switch the bottle back and see if there is an improvement.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's also a possibility. Good catch!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.