Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General 4-h for guinea pigs

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone so I was wondering hat they do in 4-h with guinea pigs I've heard about the obstical courses but I've also heard you get to learn more about guinea pigs so is it like school where you go to different classes or what thanks

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Bumping my post pleae respond cavvy peeps

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They show guinea pigs in very small cages and in loud, crowded and stressful environments. The guinea pigs get nothing but stress out of it and that is why this forum doesn't support using guinea pigs for 4-H. 4-H also typically supports breeding guinea pigs, which is something the forum is very much against.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
They show guinea pigs in very small cages and in loud, crowded and stressful environments. The guinea pigs get nothing but stress out of it and that is why this forum doesn't support using guinea pigs for 4-H. 4-H also typically supports breeding guinea pigs, which is something the forum is very much against.

Ok well i just have one question, why do you people hate breeding so much?

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Ok well i just have one question, why do you people hate breeding so much?
Because it puts the mother at a huge unnecessary risk, for one. One in five guinea pigs does not survive pregnancy or giving birth. And it brings more pigs into the world while shelters and rescues are crowded with them. It's a selfish thing to do.

Keep in mind this site is owned and run by people who run and support rescue organizations that deal with the results of breeding.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Because it puts the mother at a huge unnecessary risk, for one. One in five guinea pigs does not survive pregnancy or giving birth. And it brings more pigs into the world while shelters and rescues are crowded with them. It's a selfish thing to do.

Keep in mind this site is owned and run by people who run and support rescue organizations that deal with the results of breeding.

Yes. Exactly. TY for taking the exact words I would of used. My Cat from Hell is very interesting right now XD

ellisa

Cavy Slave
It was just a question no need to make me feel bad

No one is trying to make you feel bad.

If you have a look around this site and over at guinealynx you will have many reasons to hate breeding.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
It was just a question no need to make me feel bad
Dont worry, its good to ask questions. If you dont know something, ask! :) Not only is it unnecessary, but usually people don't care about the pigs and they dont see them as a whole. They see them as "Hey I like baby pigs and this can make me money" which isn't good. God put us in charge of animals, that doesn't mean we should mis-use our privileges. Also people can breed irresponsibly. This can lead to breeding roans (a gene defect I believe) which can end up in a lethal pig. Lethal pigs are blind, deaf, premature digestive tracks making it hard to digest food, missing/no teeth, and other health issues. Breeders see them as "defects" and don't know about the care, time, or love it takes to raise them.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I think a lot of that response is generated from a feeling that members should know better. Being that this forum is so popular, it may feel like people should already know better. But people don't. Because most people don't view guinea pigs like they view dogs. And even then, people still think dogs are disposable.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Dont worry, its good to ask questions. If you dont know something, ask! :) Not only is it unnecessary, but usually people don't care about the pigs and they dont see them as a whole. They see them as "Hey I like baby pigs and this can make me money" which isn't good. God put us in charge of animals, that doesn't mean we should mis-use our privileges. Also people can breed irresponsibly. This can lead to breeding roans (a gene defect I believe) which can end up in a lethal pig. Lethal pigs are blind, deaf, premature digestive tracks making it hard to digest food, missing/no teeth, and other health issues. Breeders see them as "defects" and don't know about the care, time, or love it takes to raise them.

What if the breeder was responsible and only bred one guinea so they could have just have one litter is this still bad? (I wouldnt do this i was just asking)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@adeline13, you have been a part of this forum since February of this year. You should know very well why we hold the stance we do about breeding.

As for a "responsible" breeder...the only thing breeders are responsible for is overpopulation. Even having only one litter is one litter too many when there are thousands of guinea pigs in rescues and shelters who are in need of homes. Many that will be euthanized because people went to breeders instead of to their shelter.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Yes i know i've been here for a while but i've never really understood why you all hated breeders so much. I understand now and if i ever want more pigs ill go to the shelter near me thank you everybody (with the nice comments) for explaining it to me. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.