Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Discovering your Piggy's breed/colors/pattern

Countrycavy

Cavy Slave
I'd love to play with mine. Coat wise I think they are all Abysinnian (rosettes) except for Fleur. I do have one smooth coat (not pictured).View attachment 86505

Ok I love the names! I've never seen a ridgeback or puruviann guinea pig. I love the crazy hair. Abby's are my son's favourite go coat.

Countrycavy

Cavy Slave
IMG_20191128_193005233.jpg
Spoopy is a Coronet. He hair actually does touch the ground but she's barbering. She was more of a Dutch black and white when we got her but as she grew more and more white started mixing in with the black. You can see small white hairs on her nose mixing in. Is that a roan gene maybe?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
View attachment 86542
Spoopy is a Coronet. He hair actually does touch the ground but she's barbering. She was more of a Dutch black and white when we got her but as she grew more and more white started mixing in with the black. You can see small white hairs on her nose mixing in. Is that a roan gene maybe?

She's beautiful!!! Her breed is definitely Coronet, and I think her colors are Black, White, and Slate...but her pattern is stumping me! I can see a Roan resemblance, too, so she could have that somewhere in her genes. Magpie seems very possible as well...especially since she has white mixing in with her black! My guess is her pattern is a Tricolor/Roan or Tricolor/Magpie mix--- or maybe a mix of all three.

pigs down under

Cavy Slave
Here are my recues
Piggie 2 (2).jpgTwix, she's an Abyssinian of some description
Piggie 2 (1).jpggizmo, I think he has a bit of agouti as his individual hairs on the dark areas are grey and silver
Piggie 1.jpgBiscuit, she has striped hairs on her brown patches

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Here are my recues
View attachment 86547Twix, she's an Abyssinian of some description
View attachment 86548gizmo, I think he has a bit of agouti as his individual hairs on the dark areas are grey and silver
View attachment 86549Biscuit, she has striped hairs on her brown patches

Such very pretty piggies!!

Twix is an Abyssinian; I think her colors are Black, White ( does she have a little bit of a brown here and there, or is it just the light and shadows? ) ; and her pattern Bicolor. ( If she does have bits of brown/red her pattern could be Tricolor or have some Tortoiseshell and White mixed in )

Gizmo is so neat! Does he have a crest/ rosette on top of his head, or is it just how I'm looking at it? If he does, his breed is Crested; if not, it's American. His colors are Silver Agouti, Black and White! I think his pattern is Tricolor.

Biscuit's breed is also Abyssinian. I think her brown is Chocolate Agouti--- is she all brown, or does she other colors, too? I think I can see a white chin in her pic. I think her colors are Chocolate Agouti, White, and Beige. Her pattern looks like some Fox and Bicolor, much like my piggy Friar Tuck earlier in this thread :)

pigs down under

Cavy Slave
Such very pretty piggies!!

Twix is an Abyssinian; I think her colors are Black, White ( does she have a little bit of a brown here and there, or is it just the light and shadows? ) ; and her pattern Bicolor. ( If she does have bits of brown/red her pattern could be Tricolor or have some Tortoiseshell and White mixed in )

Gizmo is so neat! Does he have a crest/ rosette on top of his head, or is it just how I'm looking at it? If he does, his breed is Crested; if not, it's American. His colors are Silver Agouti, Black and White! I think his pattern is Tricolor.

Biscuit's breed is also Abyssinian. I think her brown is Chocolate Agouti--- is she all brown, or does she other colors, too? I think I can see a white chin in her pic. I think her colors are Chocolate Agouti, White, and Beige. Her pattern looks like some Fox and Bicolor, much like my piggy Friar Tuck earlier in this thread :)
Thanks for replyinglol
Gizmo does have a crest. sorry if the picture wasn't clear
Twix has a tiny bit of brown around they edges of her back patches so she is probably a tricolour like you said.
Biscuit is chocolate agouti exept for the white spot under her chin and on her feet and a gingery patch on her back and around her eyes. so tricolour too?
Friar Tuck is adorable!

GUINEA PIGS 2.jpg
Thanks again guys. This forum is amazing!

Attachments

GUINEA PIGS !.jpg

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thanks for replyinglol
Gizmo does have a crest. sorry if the picture wasn't clear
Twix has a tiny bit of brown around they edges of her back patches so she is probably a tricolour like you said.
Biscuit is chocolate agouti exept for the white spot under her chin and on her feet and a gingery patch on her back and around her eyes. so tricolour too?
Friar Tuck is adorable!

View attachment 86564
Thanks again guys. This forum is amazing!

So cool Gizmo is Crested! And seeing him in these pics, I correct myself: his colors are only White and Silver Agouti, making his pattern Bicolor! All your photos are awesome; I just couldn't see his head and some of their colors from the right angles to feel confident and giving a solid answer :)

Twix probably is Tricolor, but quite unique with those tiny bits of brown! If they look more red than brown, she may very well have a kind of Tortoiseshell and White, too.

Biscuit is Tricolor, and her pattern is a mix of Fox and Tricolor--- just like my Friar Tuck is Fox/Bicolor! Her colors are White, Chocolate Agouti, and Buff ( that's the gingery color ). The patches are the Tricolor, and the Buff rings around her eyes plus the touches of Buff on her nose ( and I think around her chest/chin ) is the Fox :)

You're very welcome; it was really fun seeing your piggies :) This forum is amazing, indeed!

Zigagin

Cavy Slave
Here are some better pictures to show more of Ziglar and Finagin's colors and patterns, featuring my girlfriend in some :)
80a5e3a9ba1101366e6c631eca8b82d8.jpg
407451aff5bf61f4aaf8f6499428fb17.jpg
649a933ee97ff901c5b05d1d9d125ab3.jpg
608231c578770cb11bf93bd78661ee26.jpg
ae2470062d6c5ab27d181682718904e3.jpg
d78c33cffd466afbc919579591354c2d.jpg
54e15f4def2703c9489d49e95371b3e6.jpg
78dfaa38c51df431acf8227e3c3910aa.jpg

Sent from my QS5509A using Tapatalk

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
They're really pretty piggies!!

Finagin's breed is American; his colors are Cream Agouti ( that's the speckled patches), White, and Cream (the Cream could be more of a Buff; I'm not sure ) ; and his pattern is Tricolor.

Ziglar's breed is Abyssinian; his colors are Black and White; and his pattern looks like a Dutch/Magpie or Bicolor/Magpie mix :)

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
This is Snickers. I'm really curious what pattern his coat is. I know he has some agouti but I'm not sure what the general pattern is.
20200118_114117.jpg20191124_161516.jpg20191117_154917.jpg

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
A16F53AC-54A1-43C8-9BEC-D2B34F519225.jpg
Robert Stark - white and brown short haired American ( i think)

B9EBA345-1E3C-4F0D-93D6-CB8A96F4651A.jpg
Jon Snow - all white with little black outline on outside of his one ear , short haired American ( i think).

Attachments

IMG_3770.jpg

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
This is Snickers. I'm really curious what pattern his coat is. I know he has some agouti but I'm not sure what the general pattern is.
View attachment 86774View attachment 86773View attachment 86775

That is such a unique pattern! Snickers is a handsome piggy :D

I think his breed is American...is it just me, or is his head extra fluffy? I thought it was a crest, like a Crested piggy, but it doesn't seem to have a rosette shape.

His colors are White, Saffron ( possibly Buff, but i think it has that more yellow gold look of Saffron ), and his agouti looks like Lemon Agouti.

My best guess on his pattern is it's a Dutch/Tri-Color mix! The Saffron patches are very smooth and distinct, and nearly square like Dutch. But they're not exactly Dutch, and he also has three colors, so there's the Tri-Color. Tri-Color also has distinct patches that don't overlap too much. So pretty and unique! :)

Last edited:

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
View attachment 86778
Robert Stark - white and brown short haired American ( i think)

View attachment 86780
Jon Snow - all white with little black outline on outside of his one ear , short haired American ( i think).

So cute!!

Robert Stark is American; his colors are White and Gold (Gold is the name for that shade of brown!); and his pattern is a Bicolor/Harlequin or Bicolor/Brindle mix. He has the simple patches in two colors like a Bicolor, but then the Gold patches on his face have those neat little brindle streaks of white!

John Snow is also American; his color is White; and his pattern a White Self. Dark Eyed White piggies like him almost always have a delicate black outline on their ears...or ear :)

BBs_piggies

Cavy Slave
2B04A68B-9CDE-48C9-A926-2179D8756827.jpg
DA14871D-7892-4A8F-BB4F-6FD1235FE8A3.jpg

These are Harriet & Kiki! Harriet is the black one and she is an American, although I haven’t been able to figure out her coat pattern! She has 3 orange/red feet, and 1 front one is completely black. The orange-ish feet also have some specks of white fur on her toes, but only her toes! Kiki is an Aby, and completely white with red eyes.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
View attachment 86820
View attachment 86821

These are Harriet & Kiki! Harriet is the black one and she is an American, although I haven’t been able to figure out her coat pattern! She has 3 orange/red feet, and 1 front one is completely black. The orange-ish feet also have some specks of white fur on her toes, but only her toes! Kiki is an Aby, and completely white with red eyes.

They are both so very cute...and Harriet could literally be a long lost twin to my Robin Hood!!!

Harriet's breed is American, and her pattern is a Harlequin/Brindle mix, mostly Harlequin! Her colors look like Buff, Saffron, Black, and possibly a tiny bit of White or Cream with the feet speckles :) Buff and Saffron are just two slightly different shades of orange, and it looks like some of her orange patches are darker/ lighter to match those colors. Cream is a super light shade of, well, cream, and it looks almost white. Cream and Black are very common colors in a Harlequin pattern, so her feet speckles could be inherited from that. My Robin Hood has a couple hairs like that; they're not on his feet, but his one front foot has orange toes just like her... like the opposite of a fingerless glove! lol

Kiki is Abyssinian, and her pattern is Self, which simply means she's solid white...With her eyes, her color is officially Pink Eyed White. She looks like a little cloud! lol

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Biscuit looks like my PB!

[MENTION=44038]MerryFriarTuck[/MENTION] is PB a chocolate agouti too?

She is indeed chocolate agouti...and they're such an adorable piggy herd!!! :D
PB is Abyssinian, her pattern is Bicolor with maybe a little Fox, and her colors are Chocolate Agouti and Buff ( the Buff could be Saffron, maybe, or have a little Saffron mixed in )

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
View attachment 86329

...And this is Robin Hood! His breed is American; his colors are Black, Chocolate, Buff, and Red; and his pattern is Harlequin. This is an old picture from the day we brought him home, so apologies for the bad quality! ( That's why he's looking a little spooked, too ) I thought it showed his pattern the best even if not so much the colors :)

Seeing [MENTION=45209]BBs_piggies[/MENTION] Harriet ( see how much he's like her?! ) made realize I need to update my post on my Robin Hood! I had not had him very long when I made it, and he was a little underweight baby with dull fur. Now that he's healthy, glossy, and all grown up it's no longer accurate...here he is now :) :
IMG_20200323_161720267.jpg
He is American, his pattern is a Harlequin/Brindle mix, and his colors are actually Black, Buff, and Saffron. He possibly has speckles of Red and Cream, too. When his fur was dull as a baby it looked chocolate, but once he became a shiny healthy piggy it was obviously black. He's such a happy boy with quite the Before and After! :love:

BBs_piggies

Cavy Slave
Seeing @BBs_piggies Harriet ( see how much he's like her?! ) made realize I need to update my post on my Robin Hood! I had not had him very long when I made it, and he was a little underweight baby with dull fur. Now that he's healthy, glossy, and all grown up it's no longer accurate...here he is now :) :
View attachment 86827
He is American, his pattern is a Harlequin/Brindle mix, and his colors are actually Black, Buff, and Saffron. He possibly has speckles of Red and Cream, too. When his fur was dull as a baby it looked chocolate, but once he became a shiny healthy piggy it was obviously black. He's such a happy boy with quite the Before and After! :love:

Harriet & Robin Hood could totally be long lost twins! What a cutie!

Attachments

234DDED3-FFA5-41AD-8B40-02BF4EC400D5.jpg

mummytomyboys

Cavy Gazer
My two baby boys [emoji170][emoji170]
47e78cb4bb52cbd4515c5a3b4fe02462.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
My two baby boys [emoji170][emoji170]
47e78cb4bb52cbd4515c5a3b4fe02462.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Such beautiful and adorable boys!!!

Piggy on the right's breed is White Crested! His colors are Black, White, and Buff, and his pattern Tricolor. He definitely has some Argente coloring/pattern as well, with the way his white fur blends through the orangey Buff and black. Because of the Argente, he could very well be a White Crested/Roan mix!

Piggy on the left's breed is a Merino/Crested mix! His pattern is Harlequin, and colors look like Buff and Chocolate :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.