Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Best way to wick fleece without a washing machine?

baileydz

Cavy Gazer
I bought some fleece from Joann's and I'm going to be making some cage liners with it, but I need to know how to wick it. I don't have a washing machine, or a place near me cheap enough ($7 for ONE wash.. ugh). Have you wicked fleece without a washing machine, if so how did you do it? Is it even possible? Thank you!

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
$7 for ONE WASH?! How do you do your laundry? And people think NYC laundromats are expensive! Go to a friends house who has a washing machine? Parents? I'll be buying my next batch of fleece in NJ and conveniently staying at my grandparents house that weekend...

baileydz

Cavy Gazer
$7 for ONE WASH?! How do you do your laundry? And people think NYC laundromats are expensive! Go to a friends house who has a washing machine? Parents? I'll be buying my next batch of fleece in NJ and conveniently staying at my grandparents house that weekend...
Yeah the pricing here is ridiculous, and we use a handheld washing machine in the bathtub. It's one of those ones that look like a plunger, but they pretty much just suck the dirt out of the clothing. Also, I live with my parents due to me being 16 haha. Along with that, I'm home-schooled and we've only recently moved here, so we have no friends yet (I know, can the situation get ANY worse?) Do you think soaking the fleece in really hot water with vinegar and dish soap in my bathtub, while using the handheld washing machine would work at all? It's the only thing I can do at this point.

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
I'd say anything you want to try might be worth while. I live in a giant city so this seems so foreign to me. The whole being 16 thing explains not being able to just go somewhere else. I can't even visualize what you're talking about, but I'm trying! I would use vinegar + hot water + laundry detergent, not dish soap. Try the plunger thing...what's the worst that could happen? :p

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Try hot water, good strong detergent (not dish soap) and bleach. Let it soak for a while, then wash and rinse it.

And FYI, you're not wicking the fleece. You're stripping the coating off of it so that it will wick. Wicking is the passage of urine through the fleece to the absorbent material underneath. It's a similar process to layered underwear in cold weather -- it wicks the moisture from your skin away from your body so you don't get cold.

baileydz

Cavy Gazer
Try hot water, good strong detergent (not dish soap) and bleach. Let it soak for a while, then wash and rinse it.

And FYI, you're not wicking the fleece. You're stripping the coating off of it so that it will wick. Wicking is the passage of urine through the fleece to the absorbent material underneath. It's a similar process to layered underwear in cold weather -- it wicks the moisture from your skin away from your body so you don't get cold.
Thank you, Bpatters! I will try it! Also, I didn't know that. Thank you for the correction :)

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
Did you try and did it work?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.