Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Getting my guinea pig to trust me

Nickthestick

Cavy Slave
So i have good news i think. Today for the very first time my piggy let me touch his nose for at least 5 seconds then backed away from me. I am guessing that he is starting to trust me. Is this a good sign?

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
Yup. �� Mine still bolt when I try to pick them up.

Nickthestick

Cavy Slave
Yup. �� Mine still bolt when I try to pick them up.

Mine only bolts when i try to get him on the floor but if i try picking him up from the cage he's fine. But on the floor try finding a spot they feel comfortable with you picking them up. How long have you had them?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hand feeding is usually the best way to tame a pig. Food=Good. Human with Food=Good...eventually. Each guinea pig is different and may take a longer or shorter time to become tame. Some will become 100% tame in a few months, some will take years, and some will never be tame 100%. Tame or not, I love my pigs nonetheless. Floortime and laptime also help them trust you, although some pigs may not enjoy it.

Nickthestick

Cavy Slave
Hand feeding is usually the best way to tame a pig. Food=Good. Human with Food=Good...eventually. Each guinea pig is different and may take a longer or shorter time to become tame. Some will become 100% tame in a few months, some will take years, and some will never be tame 100%. Tame or not, I love my pigs nonetheless. Floortime and laptime also help them trust you, although some pigs may not enjoy it.

My piggy is starting to take stuff out of my hand. I don't know if it's because we had a thunderstorm the other day and i held him letting him know it's ok or what I did but im glad im getting him to trust me more. I let him run around in my room at least 30 to an hour and when he is ready to go back to the cage he usually lets me know by coming up to my and nibbling and is always more then happy being picked up and put back. This weekend he is in for a treat tho because i am making tunnels for him because he loves going under and through stuff

nikdarg

Cavy Slave
The key to making the taming process go even faster, is to allow your guinea pig to make the choice to trust you. That means making sure you never rush them when they are uncomfortable. That and associating you with food! Sometimes just sitting with your guinea pig in its cage for a wile will allow it to become more comfortable, especially if you don't put pressure on them to come near you. Building the relationship on choice and trust leads to great times with your guinea pig, though as someone said, it may take a while. Totally worth the time though. :)

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
My very skittish guinea pig has just started to come near my hands whenever I have it in the cage. She still does not like to be picked up, but if she's sniffing my hands, that's a good sign. It takes a lot of work though because she only got use to me since I have to clean their poop twice a day and feed them veggies at night. And like CavyTv said, associating you with food is always a good thing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.