Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Weight loss possibly due to one guinea pig hoarding food

Cherryblossom

Cavy Slave
Hi,
so my guinea pig Lily has lost 3 oz from the last time I weighed her. I was trying to pinpoint reasons as to why she might be losing weight, and it struck me that my other guinea pig Cocoa had always gotten more food than Lily because she's a faster eater and she's a bit more agressive when it comes to food. I've noticed she also steals food from Lily sometimes when I give them treats, but I've always just tried to prevent her from doing so by leading them to opposite sides of the cage. I'd always thought it wasn't that serious or big a deal, and this has always happened, but I'm thinking it could still be a possibility. Therefore, would it be okay if I separated them from now on when feeding them vegetables, treats, or pellets? My only concern is that Cocoa would lose weight and Lily would gain weight. Would there be any problems if I separated them?

Oh, and I know guinea lynx says 3 oz weight loss means to be on extreme red alert, so I plan on continuing to watch her closely and take her to a vet if her weight continues to decrease.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just pick Lily up and give her a few special veggie treats. Or put her in a box or laundry basket for a few minutes with some extra veggies. If you do that once a day, or maybe twice, that should be enough to take care of it.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Just try separate food bowls and see if that helps. If she still keeps hoarding from the other pig's bowl, try only separating them during food time. I think it would cause more problems to separate them permanently.

ThePiggiesGotMe

Cavy Slave
I am a newbie with pigs, but my two girls sound similar to yours. The older/bigger girl eats 2-3 times faster than the littler one. I now separate them every day for veggies and some hay after reading a horror story on a website about food bullying. It works well for them-just more inconvenient for me. As long as they do well, though, it's worth it. I can't speak to the weight loss per se-a vet visit would put your mind at ease, I know.

Last edited:

Cherryblossom

Cavy Slave
Oh, I'll try the separate food bowls, thanks! I meant I would separate them only during feeding times. They get along pretty well when they're not eating.

WillowFields

Cavy Slave
You could try adding another food bowl and set it on the opposite side of the cage. I by no means am an expert, nor did I read the whole three. Excuse me if this thread has already been resolved! ;)

Cherryblossom

Cavy Slave
That's fine! I did try that just now, and it worked quite well. Now I'm just hoping that was the only reason her weight decreased.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It's possible that it's due to another pig hogging all the food, but unless they are new cagemates, I think it's unlikely and that there might be something else that's causing the weight loss - the first thing that comes to my mind is tooth issues, which sadly I've dealt with quite a bit. Especially if the loss of three ounces was at a week interval and not longer, I'd be on high alert for signs of illness.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I agree with Paula. I would definitely consider there's something else going on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.