Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adult Female Guinea Pigs teeth chattering at each other??

Jessica08033

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm new here and I really need some help. Two days ago I got two female 2yr-old guinea pigs from craigslist. The lady could not keep them anymore because her husband was allergic. Their nails were extremely long when I got them, she claimed she couldn't handle them for that. The first thing I noticed when I got them was that they both try to bite each other and charge at each other a lot. I've only had baby guinea pigs, so I'm not sure if this behavior is normal. When I assembled the C&C cage and put the girls in it, I notice that they teeth chatter at each other almost constantly. Even at me! It's pretty clear that the girls don't like being together. I have them in a 2x3 grid cage with a 1x2 loft. The cage they were originally in was 2x4 with a loft, but I live with my parents in a very small room in a mobile home, so I can't really make it the same size. I am planning on moving out soon and making two C&C cages as big as I can for all four all my pigs. The lady did tell me that they don't really get along, so I'm not thinking it's the smaller cage. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

P.S. The girls haven't touch their food at all since they have been here, only hay. They just started drinking their water today. Also I think Gracie's weight might be a problem. Any suggestions for a diet as well?

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
What type of hideys do you have and how is the cage laid out? Obviously a bigger cage is needed, so the sooner the better for that.

Until then, I would try a buddy bath and redo introductions. You essentially give them a bath together lathering them in the same shampoo so they smell the same. Here is further reading: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

After the bath make sure you clean the cage entirely and put with all new bedding/cleaned hideouts. Since you have such little space make sure you only use tunnels or forests for hideouts. It will also prevent them from being trapped in something such as a pigloo. Have two of everything and use two hay areas one on each side of the cage. Do not put anything up in the loft.

This is all if they are just chasing each other, not losing weight or drawing blood. They sound like my girls, who tolerate each other but are not overtly friendly. Which is why I built them a 2x6 cxc, anything smaller and they would have the same issues as your girls.

I see now you said problem with weight, what do you mean? What food are you feeding? Hay is most important so it is good they are eating that :)

Question you said four pigs, what are you other two and where do they live?

Thanks for rescuing them by the way!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The chattering could be different things. It's not necessarily that they don't like each other or don't like you. They could have mites and chattering because they are in pain. They could be nervous in a new environment. It could be that they are used to more space and need more in order to get along.

In case it's mites DO NOT give them a buddy bath. Water will make things worse! Wait until you can rule out mites before even considering a bath. Buddy baths are a last resort anyway for getting pigs to get along.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
In case it's mites DO NOT give them a buddy bath. Water will make things worse! Wait until you can rule out mites before even considering a bath. Buddy baths are a last resort anyway for getting pigs to get along.

Can't believe I didn't even consider the mites or other ailments. I was just concerned that she mentioned the biting at each other and didn't want either piggy getting hurt. I will exercise caution and remember that in the future. Last thing I want is wet piggies hurting from mites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.