Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food A Bail of Timothy Hay..

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
It's true...that's pretty much EXACTLY what it is! It's hilarious, and annoying at the same time, hahaha.

Here's my solution. So far, they haven't figured out how to get the lid off, LOL - controller shown for size reference

What about when the hay gets low, how do they get it out if the hole is on the top? Do you holes on the sides too?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Hmm I think I have a Tractor supply nearby. Maybe I'll have a look and see if we have small bales here too. How much do they cost for you? I'm trying to decide if I should keep getting hay from KMS Hayloft or if I should switch to a nearby farm.

My pigs prefer the 3rd cut from KMS, so do I, its not nearly as dusty and its so soft and sweet. TSC hay is only $20.00, if your pigs are happy with it, give it a go, the savings are worth the shot.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
What about when the hay gets low, how do they get it out if the hole is on the top? Do you holes on the sides too?

hmmm when i make mine i will probably put holes on the sides.. That's a good idea.

BarBGirl1999

Cavy Slave

They flip it over to get it out...they're industrious little devils, lol. I fill it all the time, so it rarely gets low, but when it does, they see it as a game and they're pretty smart, so they never have any trouble getting to it.

BarBGirl1999

Cavy Slave
Hmm I think I have a Tractor supply nearby. Maybe I'll have a look and see if we have small bales here too. How much do they cost for you? I'm trying to decide if I should keep getting hay from KMS Hayloft or if I should switch to a nearby farm.

The small bales cost right at $20 at my TS, and it lasts a good long time - even with 3 pigs and 2 rabbits munching on it all the time

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
The small bales cost right at $20 at my TS, and it lasts a good long time - even with 3 pigs and 2 rabbits munching on it all the time

My hay is almost gone so I will probably go next week! I just havent bought a Bin/Container for it yet and I dont know how I am supposed to fit this stuff in my chevy Spark LOL!

BarBGirl1999

Cavy Slave
My hay is almost gone so I will probably go next week! I just havent bought a Bin/Container for it yet and I dont know how I am supposed to fit this stuff in my chevy Spark LOL!

LOL, my husband drives a Spark! It takes a bit of maneuvering, but you can make it work.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
LOL, my husband drives a Spark! It takes a bit of maneuvering, but you can make it work.

i nick named it jalapeno i will probably have my parents help they drive a wrangler

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
For those with apartments. How do you store your hay? I think i am going to buy a large trash can from walmart. Will that suffice?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you poke holes in it so there's some air circulation.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
If you poke holes in it so there's some air circulation.

Maybe just keep the lid off of it? Or should I poke holes in the bottom as well?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Air won't circulate through the hay if you just leave the lid off or poke holes in the bottom. I'd drill large holes in the sides.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I bought two large Sterilite containers from Walmart and they seem to work very well for my hay. In each bin I'm able to fit almost all of a 15# bag of KMS hay. I buy both 3rd cut and Bluegrass and it's so nice to have a bin of each.

I've been using this same method for 4-5 years and I've never had a problem with my hay. I just discarded the lids and I store the hay under my cages. With six pigs I go through the hay very quickly though. It might not work if you have to store the hay for more than 6 months.

I have 6 Pigs as well. 4 are 8 days old and the others are 7 months and 1 1/2 years.

Mom and the babies have been going through hay like crazy so I think it will last but it will be used within 6 months for sure!

How much did you spend on the bins you have now?

Last edited:

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Just went to walmarts website.. Wow only 7.50? I can definietly get 2 of these and saturday I will go pick up my Hay. They are only open 9 to 6 which is my work hours so I cant go during the week.

Should I buy 1 or 2? You make it sound like you buy 2 bales.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I searched Wal-mart's website and found the one that I have. It's a 18 gallon Sterilite Bin Model # 1730NB. It sells for $4.96 at the Wal-mart store near me. I bought two of them since I always buy two different types of hay. If you have the space they also have a 30 gallon one that looks great. I needed a specific size to fit into the space that I have.

Because I wanted a lot of room for their cage, I dont have a night stand anymore, So I could always put it on the foot of my bed, poke holes everywhere and use it as a night stand at night time LOL! I may buy 2 just in case I I need more. You cant have enought storage bins.

BarBGirl1999

Cavy Slave
Those 18 gallon Sterlite tubs are the same thing I keep my hay in. I have two...one is full of hay and the other keeps all my other small pet supplies - extra dishes, roll of paper towels, cage cleaning spray, treats, etc.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I store mine in a box from the last box of 3rd cut I got. It fits perfect.

Katie Vetter

Cavy Slave
I love buying bales! I also have a crew of six, and we go through a bale pretty quickly, usually within at most two months. You shouldn't have to throw any away, as long as it doesn't get damaged. I keep mine in a tote bin in my garage, and peel off flakes into a smaller container for the week. I freeze mine for 48 hours first though, because we've had bug issues before. It actually makes the hay smell even better!

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I keep my bales in a hessian 'bale buddy'. Serious lifesaver. Plus, it comes with handles for hefting it around :p I keep it in the garage and invested in a wicker laundry hamper to keep the hay in the pig room nice and neat.

Edit, Did some googling...You guys in the states have weird Bale Buddy's :p This is the one I use.

(broken link removed)

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I keep my bales in a hessian 'bale buddy'. Serious lifesaver. Plus, it comes with handles for hefting it around :p I keep it in the garage and invested in a wicker laundry hamper to keep the hay in the pig room nice and neat.

Edit, Did some googling...You guys in the states have weird Bale Buddy's :p This is the one I use.

(broken link removed)

Thats neat. I wonder if a duffel bag would work.. (I dont want to spend that much)..
I will probably end up with the boxes from walmart. Or end up poking holes in a dumpster bag until I can find something more suitable.... I am trying to picture in my head how large of a container i need!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.