Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting New Guinea Pig?

KeraMDavis

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I really would like a new piggie for Kirby. I got Kirby from PetSmart but I want to adopt or to rehome one. I found this lady from CraigsList and she agreed to sell me her male piggie for $15. She told me his name is "Roscho", he is 2yrs old, hasn't been sick, he had a cage mate who was 9yrs old but the cage mate died last month, he isn't dominant. She is emailing me a picture sometime today. I'm kinda skeptical because if something happens like the piggie gets sick or something I'm still without a piggie for Kirby. I found another pet store that sells for $30 at least the stores have a refund policy.
I just want to know some advice on this getting a piggie from somewhere else.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Why would you want a refund? Lol xx

KeraMDavis

Cavy Slave
I mean that at least if something bad happens they can reimburse me for taking the piggie to the vet or can go get another one from the pet store but buying it from a person & the piggie gets sick or die & if Kirby had bonded with him it's gonna be sad.

Why would you want a refund? Lol xx

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Wow I am sorry but that attitude is horrible. This is a living animal not a toaster you can exchange if it's defective. It's sad that you would rather return an animal and most likely give that poor being a death sentence than make sure you do the responsible thing for your pet by taking it to a vet for proper treatment, not to mention buying an animal that likely came from an unscrupulous breeder or worse a mill.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
If this pig from craigslist hasn't been sick in two years why would you expect him to suddenly drop dead which is much less likely than a pet store pig suddenly dying because you have no idea what his background is, or if he's ever been properly cared for.

KeraMDavis

Cavy Slave
If you're going to come on my post being negative then you go head & dismiss yourself. For your information Kirby got a respiratory infection when I got him & I didn't "return him like a microwave" I took him to the vet. You don't know me nor do you know my history with buying piggies from people. Yeah that's what she said but people lie. I rehomed a piggie before Kirby & I was told the piggie was a year, never been sick, is a female, very cheerful & nice. That was the total opposite. As soon as I got the piggie , a couple days later she was acting funny & it turns out she had pregnancy toxaemia I believe that's the name the vet told me. I thought she just a little big but that's wasn't the case. She didn't make it & the person wouldn't even contact me anymore to help me. I am a college student who does not have funds where I have to spend a lot of money because of someone else poor treatment of their piggie I have went though that stage & don't want it to happen again. DO NOT try to make me out to be this horrible person because I'm not. No one what's to experience seeing a piggie in sick conditions because it's sad & unbearable. This website is for people to help other people out who have question about their piggies, not for douchebags like you to be hateful when you know nothing. Have a good day & don't post anything negative to me again!

If this pig from craigslist hasn't been sick in two years why would you expect him to suddenly drop dead which is much less likely than a pet store pig suddenly dying because you have no idea what his background is, or if he's ever been properly cared for.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
The way you stated your question appeared like you did not want the hassle of having to treat a sick pet. Your only concern in your question was that you could return the new pig and get a refund if the pig dies. You do realize this site advocates adoption and strongly discourages purchasing animals at pet stores. The reason for this is the stores treat live animals like products and have no concern about their well being nor where they get these animals. All small animals in big box pet stores are from mills. Who knows where small pet stores get their animals from. This is why we do not approve of buying animals in pet stores. If you are so concerned about the animal dying adopt through a reputable rescue.

KeraMDavis

Cavy Slave
Wells that's not what I mean so once again don't say something negative when you don't know. Where I'm from there are no guinea pigs at the animal shelter to adopt I have called, emailed, & visited to check & they don't have piggies. There aren't any rescues in this area either. So I have limited choices. I don't mind getting a piggie from the store at least they don't have to live there anymore can have better care in a home.

This post is not about money or tryna do harm to piggies I just want advice on rehoming/ adopting a piggie.

The way you stated your question appeared like you did not want the hassle of having to treat a sick pet. Your only concern in your question was that you could return the new pig and get a refund if the pig dies. You do realize this site advocates adoption and strongly discourages purchasing animals at pet stores. The reason for this is the stores treat live animals like products and have no concern about their well being nor where they get these animals. All small animals in big box pet stores are from mills. Who knows where small pet stores get their animals from. This is why we do not approve of buying animals in pet stores. If you are so concerned about the animal dying adopt through a reputable rescue.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
That was advice as to why adopting should always be your first option. Purchasing a pig from a pet store tells that store that their breeding practices are perfectly ok and they should continue to do exactly what they are doing. You aren't saving that pig you are condemning a poor sow in a tiny cramped cage to a life of pumping out babies in back to bak pregnancies until she either dies or is killed because she can no longer breed. That is more than enough of a reason for me to never support that. Ever. For any reason. If there were no pigs that needed to be rehomed and my only option was to either buy a pig from a pet store or not have a pig at all I would not have a pig at all to make sure I was not perpetuating the barbaric breeding practices. Just my opinion as well as the opinion of most of this forum.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Please, do not go to the petstore! Its better to wait for a piggy on CL or a shelter than go to a petstore. I'd look into getting that CL piggie though. You will have to introduce them properly, quarentine the new pig, and make sure the new pig settles in for a few days before you introduce. Do you have a C&C cage?

MamaP

Cavy Slave
There's a rescue in NC. It may be a few hours from you, however, maybe someone would be willing to meet half way.

https://gprofenc.wix.com/gprofenc

I apologize if links are not permitted

KeraMDavis

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advice & not being rude to me. Yes I do have a C&C cage it's a 2x4 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397576530.342877.jpg

Please, do not go to the petstore! Its better to wait for a piggy on CL or a shelter than go to a petstore. I'd look into getting that CL piggie though. You will have to introduce them properly, quarentine the new pig, and make sure the new pig settles in for a few days before you introduce. Do you have a C&C cage?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Alright, then Id look into that CL piggie or a shelter, give the new pig time to settle in. Once he's settle in (make sure he is a he!) have a wide open space with a pile of veggies and hay, make sure no pig has been there before and put a pig at each end. https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm have a look at that if you need help.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Just a side note cursing at people is being rude, I am merely blunt.

KeraMDavis

Cavy Slave
Okay! If he has been by himself in a cage with his previous owner do he still needa to be quarantine for 2wks?

Alright, then Id look into that CL piggie or a shelter, give the new pig time to settle in. Once he's settle in (make sure he is a he!) have a wide open space with a pile of veggies and hay, make sure no pig has been there before and put a pig at each end. https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm have a look at that if you need help.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
You can skip quarantine, but that makes your pig at risk of getting sick. Its up to you.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Is it possible to take him to the vet with the current owner before you adopt him? It may put your mind at ease if you know he is healthy when you take him home to Kirby.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
As long as he has been away from any pigs and any animals that can carry bortadella and/or pasturella for 3 weeks or longer I would consider reducing quarantine if he looks and acts healthy an after a vet check to be sure. If you are not positive that this has occurred then do a full quarantine of three weeks in another room.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Also during quarantine make sure you wear a smock I've your clothing an make sure you thoroughly wash your hands before handling your healthy pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.