Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New Guinea Pig: Very Shy, Hiding, and Doesn't Eat or Drink Much!

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I need some advice and some reassurance!

Situation & Context:
I got a new baby guinea pig on Friday night (she was in her cage by 6:00pm) and I am worried about her behavior. She is 8 weeks old. I currently have a 2 year old guinea pig (I have information about Cookie Dough on my profile) and I got a new guinea pig as a friend because her previous cagemate (Hazel) passed away in December.

Cage Setup:
The new guinea pig is currently in a quarantine cage and is in a different room than Cookie Dough. The quarantine cage is larger than her previous cage (but not as large as the C&C cage she will be transferred to after the quarantine and introduction periods). When we first put her in the cage we mixed some of her old bedding with the kind of bedding that we prefer to use (to help her new cage feel more familiar). She was given a pigloo to hide in and some fresh hay was put inside the pigloo (I use 2nd cutting perfect blend timothy hay from small pet select. The place where I got her from also used timothy hay). She also has hay in a hayloft that is attached to the cage, but I put some in the pigloo in case she didn't know how to use a hayloft and/or was too scared to explore the cage. She has a food dish with young pig oxbow pellets in it (which is the same food that her previous home used). She has a water bottle (and her previous home had a water bottle, so I'm guessing she knows how to drink from bottles), and I also gave her a dish with water in it in case she didn't know how to use the water bottle. We put a towel over the top of her cage to give her more privacy and to make the environment feel a little safer/darker. We try to be in the room as infrequently as possible and only check on her every 4 hours or so, so that she doesn't get scared. I leave the lights off in the room to make her feel safer, and a little light comes in through the windows in the day.

Problem:
The new guinea pig (I keep referring to her this way because we haven't chosen a name yet) is very scared. She hardly ever moves. Whenever we are in the room, she does not move at all. When I check on her every 4 hours or so she is in a new spot in the cage, but is still frozen in that new spot. During the day she does not seem to eat (pellets or hay) or drink at all. I have been checking the levels of hay, pellets, and water throughout the day to assess whether or not she has eaten or drank anything.

On Saturday afternoon (around 3:30pm, which is 9.5 hours after she was put in her cage) I was very worried because she had not eaten or drank anything. I took her out of her cage to try to give her some water. I tried to put the water bottle nozzle in her mouth to teach her how to use it. I also tried to hand feed her some pellets and hay. She resisted all of these things and was very very scared. She kept trying to hide and wriggle away. I put her back in her cage and left her alone.

On Saturday night I was gone from the house and did not return until about 10:00am on Sunday. When I got back to the house I saw that she was in a different spot in the cage, had eaten all of her pellets, and there were poops and pee spots all over the cage (which means that she did some exploring, and that her digestive system and urinary system are at least working). Her pigloo has steps and allows pigs to stand on the top of the pigloo, and I noticed that she had pooped on top of the pigloo (which means that she had explored that area and was somewhat active). It seemed like she had eaten some of her hay, but it was hard to tell. There was pee, 2 pieces of poop, and a few pieces of bedding in her water dish, so I don't know if she used it or not. The water bottle level was slightly lower, so it seems like she drank a little that night, but not a lot (I have attached a picture of the water bottle level to show how much she drank. Unfortunately, the picture is sideways and I don't know how to reformat it in this post).

IMG_3098.jpg

I was very happy to see this progress. I cleaned her cage and gave her fresh bedding, I refilled her water bottle, water dish, and food dish, and gave her fresh hay.

However, it is now 5:15pm (more than 7 hours later) and she is still scared (she stays in one spot whenever I check on her) and it doesn't seem like she has eaten or drank anything in that time.

Advice:
What should I do? Is all of this behavior normal?

How long should I expect her to act like this? Is there anything I can do to make her feel more comfortable or to help her eat and drink more?

Also, how much time should pass before I get worried about her eating and drinking behavior? If she eats and drinks at night, that's great, but it would be bad if she never got out of that habit.

I have considered giving her a cucumber or wet lettuce to help her get hydration from food. Is this a good idea?

When should I start trying to handle her (she is not at all used to being held)?

Below is a picture of what my new guinea pig looks like. You can see how she sits in one spot of the cage.
50664952361__9C2F1755-30EE-4B4C-8899-4083E57F19B5.jpg

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
It is normal for guinea pigs to be scared for a while but you need to make sure she is consistently eating. What veggies are you giving her and is she eating them?

I would put a radio in the room and keep it playing all day at a low sound so she gets more used to what humans sound like.

To work on bonding I would start to sit by her cage and talk in a soft voice for a while, or you could just sit by the cage for however long you can to get her used to being in your presence.

It may also help to put her in the same room as your other piggy so she can get a little more support and at least be able to hear another pig.

Some pigs adjust to new surroundings right away while others it may take weeks or even months, its hard to say how long this could last as is completely varies between different pigs.

If she is not eating enough to stay healthy you will need to force feed her as it is especially dangerous for young piggies to be malnourished and it can lead to serious health conditions in later life and possibly death. Not to scare you but I want to make sure its clear that guinea pigs should almost constantly be eating.

I wouldn't start to handle her for bonding until she is completely used to her surroundings and will take food from your hands/come to the cage to see you. You may also want to wait until she will let you pet her until you begin handling.

Hope this helps some, if you have any more questions or concerns feel free to ask and make sure to keep us updated!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Considering the new pig is being quarantined to make sure she is not sick before meeting the other guinea pig, they need to remain in separate rooms until the quarantine period is over.

That seems like normal guinea pig behavior while adjusting to a new home, just be patient and make slow movements.

kcake67

Cavy Slave
I am pretty sure the shyness is normal. I personally wouldn't know, my guinea pig was surprisingly tame when I got him. He was still very skittish. I have a small Tv in my room which I always forget to turn off. I think that helped him. Funny fact, I have this one particular movie I always play, I can't remember the name, but one of the character's voices sounds a lot like mine. So he always comes out and wheeks thinking it's me! Anyway, be very sure it (He or she?) is eating. If it is not eating, try to lure it out with some tasty veggies. I used carrots. I hope you have a good time with your new piggie!

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
@CupcakeCavy, I gave her a small piece of lettuce last night and put some water on it to help her get hydrated, but she didn't eat it. She ate all of her pellets last night but ignored the lettuce.

2cocos

Cavy Slave
Our guinea pigs did not drink very much the first week we had them. They were also very skittish and got stressed out from being held. I worried same as you, but a few minutes of lap time here and there, and consistent (but not overwhelming) amounts of attention and they adjusted pretty quickly. I think it's normal for new pigs to be scared and out-of-sorts in a new situation.

Your pig should be getting fresh veggies every day. Ours (two) get one cup, about 2/3 to 3/4 packed leafy greens and the rest colorful vegetables. I find that my pigs cannot resist these. Lettuce, especially the lighter kinds, are not that nutritious and not that attractive to them. They do loved mixed green salad which I buy in bulk (we eat some, they eat the rest since we can never finish a box anyhow before it starts going bad). I find they go crazy over herbs like cilantro and parsley. Ours also LOVE carrots, peppers, broccoli stalks (ends trimmed and sliced in long sticks). Really, any non-starchy, colorful veggies are their favorite. We might spoil them a bit in this department, but it is definitely paying off in terms of their health.

If your pig is not drinking, I recommend adding a little cucumber to their diet. That and the veggies should be enough hydration in the short term until she calms down and starts using the water bottle.

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Our guinea pigs did not drink very much the first week we had them. They were also very skittish and got stressed out from being held. I worried same as you, but a few minutes of lap time here and there, and consistent (but not overwhelming) amounts of attention and they adjusted pretty quickly. I think it's normal for new pigs to be scared and out-of-sorts in a new situation.

If your pig is not drinking, I recommend adding a little cucumber to their diet. That and the veggies should be enough hydration in the short term until she calms down and starts using the water bottle.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has had these worries! My boyfriend has been spending the day with the new pig and it has really helped her come out of her shell. She is still scared and nervous, but she has eaten pellets in front of him and has even stood on top of the pigloo while he was in the room.

We tried giving her a cucumber, but so far she has not eaten it. That does seem like a good idea though. Especially because she still doesn't seem to be drinking much. We think she might only be using her water dish and not her water bottle (even though she used a water bottle in her previous home).

2cocos

Cavy Slave
Yep, we had both a dish and a bottle for a long time, and when they started using the bottle consistently, we removed the dish and added a second bottle since we have a large cage.

Any veggies she will eat will help with getting water. Rince them and give them to her wet. That will help too. Try a baby carrot or two. Even green apple, though I am not a big fan of a lot of fruit for them, at this point, she just needs to start eating. Once that happens, you can focus on green and colorful vegetables. It's possible she just didn't get a lot of veggies before you got her. I'm sure ours had not had any. At first, we had one that was a little picky, but she has come around to pretty much everything. When she sees your older pig eating something, it will make her more likely to eat it too.

What took us longer was getting them to eat hay, but now they eat it like it's going out of style! I am about to order a 25 or 50 lb box, because it is getting expensive!!

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Yep, we had both a dish and a bottle for a long time, and when they started using the bottle consistently, we removed the dish and added a second bottle since we have a large cage.

It's possible she just didn't get a lot of veggies before you got her. I'm sure ours had not had any.

What took us longer was getting them to eat hay, but now they eat it like it's going out of style!

I'm happy to say that my pig has been using her water bottle since yesterday and loves using it! We have removed the water dish since it took up so much space and she no longer needs it.

I'm pretty positive that my guinea pig never had any kind of veggies in her previous home. Since she is very young and has never had them before, we will have to introduce them to her one at a time until she gets used to them (more than one at a time would overwhelm her digestive system). We plan to start with cucumbers because they'll keep her hydrated.

She resisted her hay at first, but now she eats hay both from the hay rack and from hay we put on her cage floor. She doesn't seem to eat a lot of it since she is so young and small, but she seems to like it well enough. It also helps that our hay is the same kind of hay that she used to eat (timothy hay).

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Update:
My guinea pig is adjusting well to her new home! She now explores the cage when we are in the room. We have been talking to her and trying to make her feel comfortable. She eats hay and pellets, and drinks from her water bottle, when we are in the room. She has also gotten excited and has shown that she is happy by zooming around her cage. She is still a little timid and needs to get used to us, but she has made great progress and I'm no longer worried about her ability/willingness to eat and drink.

Here are some pictures of her in her new home:
New pig 1.jpg
New pig 2.jpg
New pig 3.jpg

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
Glad shes getting used to her surroundings! :)

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Glad shes getting used to her surroundings! :)

I am too! She's very happy now and is settling in nicely. I'll post another update in the next few days to show the new cage she's staying in. We switched her to the new cage last night and she was running around and popcorning like crazy!!

pouty

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad to hear she's adjusted so well!! It's so great to see a new guinea pig popcorn..

2cocos

Cavy Slave
That's great to hear! They do take a little time to warm up to new situations. We're starting to do more floor time with our 6 month olds and they are not sure what to make of it yet! But, I know that they will learn to love it. They are just naturally cautious creatures.

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Update:

Here are some pictures of Fluff in her new cage (we have decided to name her Toasted Fluff)!

We got a Midwest Cage (Guinea Habitat Plus) for her because since she is a baby and is eating unlimited young guinea pig Oxbow pellets, she cannot currently share a cage with Cookie Dough (my first guinea pig), who is eating 1/8 cup of adult guinea pig Oxbow pellets every day. Until Fluff is 6 months old, she will have to be in a separate cage. However, we plan to give her time to be with Cookie Dough every day.

Cookie Dough and Fluff now share a room and today was the day that we introduced them. They were both very happy to meet! Now that Fluff is in the same room as Cookie Dough, she wheeks a lot more and is active and much happier! Cookie Dough also appreciates the company!
IMG_3149.jpgIMG_3148.jpg

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Here are some pictures from when we introduced Fluff and Cookie Dough today :)
Fluff and Cookie Dough 6.jpgFluff and Cookie Dough 4.jpgFluff and Cookie Dough 3.jpgFluff and Cookie Dough 2.jpg

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Once you introduce the two you are supposed to keep them together, not separate and only put them together for floor time the baby can have the Timothy pellets like your adult pig and you can give the baby some parsley or kale for the extra calcium during lap times or give her some of her pellets at that time. It is more stressful for your pigs to keep introducing and separating them. If you are going to keep them in separate cages until the baby is 6 months old then you shouldn't be putting the two together until after the baby is 6 months old. I would do one introduction and keep them together.

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Once you introduce the two you are supposed to keep them together, not separate and only put them together for floor time the baby can have the Timothy pellets like your adult pig and you can give the baby some parsley or kale for the extra calcium during lap times or give her some of her pellets at that time. It is more stressful for your pigs to keep introducing and separating them. If you are going to keep them in separate cages until the baby is 6 months old then you shouldn't be putting the two together until after the baby is 6 months old. I would do one introduction and keep them together.

Thank you for your advice, but this course of action was advised by my vet. I am going to trust their expertise on this. The pigs cannot stay together as the baby needs unlimited pellets and the adult needs a limited amount so that she does not gain too much weight. Baby pellets have more calories in them, and it would not be healthy for the adult pig to have access to this. Conversely, the baby pig needs the additional pellets and calories to help with growth.

BCPiggies

Cavy Gazer
About the separating pigs for pellets, what I would do is keep them separate, but keep their cages right next to each other. This way, they can see each other and talk to each other, but still get the right amount of pellets. Hope this helps:D

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
About the separating pigs for pellets, what I would do is keep them separate, but keep their cages right next to each other. This way, they can see each other and talk to each other, but still get the right amount of pellets. Hope this helps:D

BCPiggies, that's exactly what we're doing :) their cages are right next to each other in our room and they've been talking to each other all day! They were both really happy to have a fellow in the room with them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.