Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

boar doesn't impregnate sow

youck

Cavy Slave
hi....i have 3month boar & 4month sow...but they don't mate! why??

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
This is non breeding forum.. maybe that's why?

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This forum is anti-breeding.
Breeding a sow is dangerous on both mother and pups. Sows have a 1 in 5 chance of dying. Do you know the genetic history of both pigs? Are you prepared to pay the high in cost medical bills if there are any complications?

youck

Cavy Slave

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
Please stop making multiple threads, this is an anti-breeding forum, we have already explained that in your previous thread.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
this is clearly a troll.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I've merged both your threads.

youck

Cavy Slave
This forum is anti-breeding.
Breeding a sow is dangerous on both mother and pups. Sows have a 1 in 5 chance of dying. Do you know the genetic history of both pigs? Are you prepared to pay the high in cost medical bills if there are any complications?

Ok...I Know the risk....but still i want to know the reason

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave

Breeding while knowing the risks is extremely selfish.
Just because you want pups, you are risking the life and putting your pet (which you should love and protect) in a stressful and dangerous position.

Separate them immediately.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@youck - @lissie has given you some information to read about guinea pig reproduction. Please look at the links she's posted. They are full of helpful information.

Also, I know you just signed up today but it's important you read our behavior policy, outlined here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/support-news-membership/81979-alert-forum-behavior-policy.html

Particularly this portion:

People who have read this forum for a while and especially members KNOW what this forum is about.

• ANTI-BREEDING
  • PROPERLY-SIZED, SAFE CAGES
  • INDOOR-ONLY GUINEA PIGS
  • PROPER CARE
  • AGAINST BUYING PETS IN PET STORES
  • TWO GUINEA PIGS, NOT JUST ONE

Lishar

Cavy Slave
Breeding them is bad, there is already WAY to many homeless piggies everywhere. We don't need more.

Please don't breed them! D:

And like the others have sead it puts the poor sow under alot of stress and has a high risk of dying.
If you really loved your Guinea Pigs you wouldn't breed them.

CaviesPrincess

Cavy Slave
No no no. Please do not take your sow in danger. You can both be happy if you take good care of them (together with the boar). There is no need to breed them. If you are not contented, make ways that would benefit your piggies like sewing cozy items! That will make them really happy! Or better yet, adopt a homeless piggie. Please separate your boar with the sow. :weepy:

Lishar

Cavy Slave
Yes please separate them, or get the Boar nurtured!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave

it could be highly possible that they are of the same gender....
either that or they know the risks of breeding better than you do :D HEHE

jubespiggies

Cavy Slave
The links previously given are very useful in showing why breeding is unnecessary. For a very brief period of time, I really wanted to breed my guinea pigs but I realised how stupid breeding guinea pigs are, the risks far outweight any benefit from breeding guinea pigs. In fact, what reason is there to breed a guinea pig when so many are homeless? One of the baby pigs I had from an accidental pregnancy had some defects & couldn't walk or eat & died 4 days after being born. I really think you shouldn't breed your pigs & just see the mother die during pregnancy or a baby guinea pig die during or after birth.

Last edited:

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
I'm not going to beat a dead horse about the breeding thing... but if they aren't mating, are you sure they aren't the same sex? with smaller pigs, it's hard to tell. If you've squeaked by without a pregnancy, and they ARE different sexes, consider yourself lucky and separate them, now that you know better. :) I felt woefully under educated when I joined this forum. I had listened to the petstore when I got my first piggie. I didn't realize that they were as bad as puppy mills, and they didn't know what they are talking about. I hope you do what is best for your piggie friends, and protect them from harm, and then become an active member of the forum! It is a very useful tool for learning how to have happy healthy piggies!

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave

You seem to not care about the risks and aren't posting much information on the situation, let me speculate why they wont breed for you since that's about all I can do.

When guinea pigs are under a great deal of stress, ie. sickness or severe improper care, they wont breed. They also wont eat, wont act normal and if left in these stressful situations will die. I would remove the male and take both to a cavy savvy vet and look at your husbandry of them.

Now in saying that, I would highly recommend that you stop trying to breed them. Here is a list of some of the risks:

20% chance your sow will die, this quote is taken from the American Cavy Breeders Association (posted on CavySpirit.com):
Spring 2002, Journal of the American Cavy Breeders Association:
"To Show or Not to Show . . . An Age Old Question" by Lysa Grant, Pennsylvania. Page 41. The author is quoting Tracy Iverson about his breeding and showing opinions. Referring to one of his champion cavies, he says, "She is the most beautiful REO (Red-Eyed Orange) that I have ever produced. Why on earth would I stop showing her? I would never risk her life in the breeding pen, since breeding a sow means a 20% chance she will die..."

There is a chance of the babies being born dead.

There is a chance the sow could get the following: dystocia, hypocalcemia, a prolapsed uterus, or pregnancy toxemia. All of which unless treated by a vet, is a likely death sentence.

Like @CavyMama said, It's important you read our behavior policy, outlined here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/support-news-membership/81979-alert-forum-behavior-policy.html

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
I read the headline of this thread and thought, "perhaps this might not be such a bad thing!" (the two pigs not breeding I mean!). I don't like the idea of breeding guinea pigs. I'd never do it. I've checked and rechecked that both my guys are male, and they definately are! Nice shots in here by the way! I love the one line, "maybe it's because it's an anti-breeding forum"! Good one! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.