Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits What do you think of my rabbit cage

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You asked for honesty, it's being delivered.
And it's 4 grids but only 2 for each rabbit. My pigs love it outside too, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to take a domesticated animal and force it to be outside constantly where it's completely out of it's element.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I think it's selfish to keep them in that cage for 20 hours, putting them outside when there are clear risks, and are not willing to make compromises. Saying you won't care from them properly because you're *not* selfish makes absolutely no sense. It's also rather laughable at how you turned it around like that.

They're living animals with needs. If you can't give an animal proper housing, then I think you should consider re-homing. An animal should not have to suffer because you lack the willingness to set up a proper living space for them.

If you can't set them up properly for a temporary time, that's one thing. You seem to be dead-set on going against all recommendations for their housing, though.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
HELL NO the cage is not 2 grids for each rabbit!!! its four, its 2 grid length and width but the ground is FOUR

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
It says did not didn't.
I apologize for misquoting you! But that doesn't excuse the fact that your rabbits or very cramped during the winter months.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
The require emnts ive read said that a bunny cage must be at least four times the rabbits size and that cage sis 4 grids big and i let them out for 4 hours a day!!
Yes but you also have it split in the middle. I read that somewhere too but they are talking about PER rabbit and when the rabbit is completely stretched out.
So lets say that completely stretched out your rabbit is about a grid big, then they should both have their own 2x4 cage.
But I'm quite sure that info is a bit outdated and we've learned that they need at least 40 sq ft of room.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
That is not enough, you're missing the point. I think it's safe to assume that bunny is about half the size of a grid or bigger, it can't even make a complete hop across it's cage. You don't think that's wrong?

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I cant believe people are saying this, the only reason im living on this earth is because of my bunnies!! I would have committed suicide way before this day!! "Clear risks" is not true, i live on a farm and we make sure there are no risks , if we can keep horses here we can keep bunnies!!! AND IT IS NOT LAUGHABLE that that is the only place i can keep them!! WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO KEEP THEM THEN?? there is not more room in my bedroom and they are not staying outside !! I am never EVER EVER giving them away EVER they are my babies and they are the only reason i am happy to wake up in the morning!!They love me becaus ethe where abused in the past and the life they live now is more then their furry faces could ever ask for!!!

I will let them out more but i hope you relize that they are not even in those everyday , most of the time they are outside in their warm custom built giant shed that is tottolly predator proof. I know more about rabbits then you do and rabbits and guinea pigs are two diffrent animals rabbits arent even rodents!!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
HELL NO the cage is not 2 grids for each rabbit!!! its four, its 2 grid length and width but the ground is FOUR
That is still a 2x2 cage. 2x2 meaning 2ft by 2ft. Yes, its 4 sq ft but that is still WAY too small for even 1 guinea pig let alone 1 rabbit.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
It can make 3 hops across the cage!! I am not saying that the cage isnt too small, i know it is but their is not other option. I wish you could meet my bunnies and relize how happy they are!! They are probely happier then your guinea pigs!!!!!!!!!! I will let them out if it means that much !!! THEY ARE NOT IN THERE EVERYDAY, NOT EVEN IN THE WINTER, THEY GO IN THE SHED TOO
guhhhh can we post videos on here??

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Also I would like to state that I understand that they are only kept in those during the winter months and they have a 'predator proof' shed. But for the time that they're inside during the winter they should be kept in MUCH bigger cages.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I know its too small i got that when i made it but they get out for 5 hours aday and they go in the shed!!!

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Even if you do know more than me, you obviously have misleading information. All this winter your rabbits aren't even able to hop once in those cages, and it doesn't seem to phase you. You should rehome them if you have no space. I wanted a rabbit, sooo badly but I don't have any. You know why? Because I don't have the space needed for them. So instead of adopting some that will suffer under my care, I did the least selfish thing I could and got something I could take care of properly, pigs.
I cant believe people are saying this, the only reason im living on this earth is because of my bunnies!! I would have committed suicide way before this day!! "Clear risks" is not true, i live on a farm and we make sure there are no risks , if we can keep horses here we can keep bunnies!!! AND IT IS NOT LAUGHABLE that that is the only place i can keep them!! WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO KEEP THEM THEN?? there is not more room in my bedroom and they are not staying outside !! I am never EVER EVER giving them away EVER they are my babies and they are the only reason i am happy to wake up in the morning!!They love me becaus ethe where abused in the past and the life they live now is more then their furry faces could ever ask for!!!

I will let them out more but i hope you relize that they are not even in those everyday , most of the time they are outside in their warm custom built giant shed that is tottolly predator proof. I know more about rabbits then you do and rabbits and guinea pigs are two diffrent animals rabbits arent even rodents!!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
It can make 3 hops across the cage!! I am not saying that the cage isnt too small, i know it is but their is not other option. I wish you could meet my bunnies and relize how happy they are!! They are probely happier then your guinea pigs!!!!!!!!!! I will let them out if it means that much !!! THEY ARE NOT IN THERE EVERYDAY, NOT EVEN IN THE WINTER, THEY GO IN THE SHED TOO
Yes you can post videos, I've never done it so im not exactly sure how other than maybe using an embed code after uploading the video to youtube.
Also I wouldn't say that they're happier than the members of this site's guinea pigs.. You would be surprised at how spoiled their piggies really are.

Perhaps [MENTION=20855]RosRWAF[/MENTION] would like to comment on this and state proper rabbit cage sizes? I'm sure they know more than you do about rabbits.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
But i cant get a bigger cage, my room is too small and they can only stay in my room because my dad is alergic. HUMPH what if i told you peopel that they are only in there at night?? Because 5 hours plus the time they are in their shed adds up to about night time

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
You told me it's 40 degrees outside. You put your rabbits out in 40 degree weather?
This is not a contest of who's the better owner. You asked me, as a member of this forum, what I think of your cage. I'm letting you know it's unacceptable. And there's no way there's 3 hops. If the cage is only 4 grids and the rabbit is about a grid big there can only be 2. Just because you *think* they're happy doesn't mean you couldn't do better as their primary care giver.

MissJean

Cavy Slave

You're going to bring a suicidal history into this argument? We're not talking about you and all of your problems, we're talking about the needs of your animals. That's what this forum is for.

If you're suicidal or suffer from depression, you need to seek out therapy. An animal's well-being should not be compromised because you've created an emotional reliance on them.

What was the point of joining this forum if you're going to ignore and feebly fight against our advice? There's no point in this. What are you doing here?

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Oh shucks i dont have a youtube account.

IM NOT EVER GETTING RID OF THEM EVER EVRE EVER EVER!!!!!!! i wish somebody would relize how happy they are, i am not getting the wrong information, I KNOW DARN WELL THE CAGE IS TOO SMALL but they anrnt in the cage all day long , not even half the day!!! I know everything there is to know about rabbits!! Ask me somthing and i can anser it!! ( im not trying to brag but im trying to prove how much they mean to me) and no i do have neought space for them. I live on a 20 acre farm

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave

That's not how you count. You count 2 grids wide, by two grids long. Not the combined grids.
Rabbits need to be able to lie completely spread out in any direction, and be able to make at least three full jumps, stand up completely, as well as jump up on a shelf. That cage is too small even for one rabbit, and much too low to allow the bunny to stand up & act like a rabbit should. This will cause joint issues, back issues as well as deteriorating musculature which will cause pain & easily broken bones.

I strongly urge you to re-home them for their health & happiness. It's selfish to keep them in such an inadequate environment.
If someone locked you in a tiny box where you couldn't stand up completely or move in any direction for 19 hours each day, would that be an acceptable & happy life? No.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your love for them is not enough when you can't provide them with what they need. You can continue to be defensive & avoid dealing with the problem, or you can do right by these creatures which they deserve. Your choice.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Oh shucks i dont have a youtube account.

IM NOT EVER GETTING RID OF THEM EVER EVRE EVER EVER!!!!!!! i wish somebody would relize how happy they are, i am not getting the wrong information, I KNOW DARN WELL THE CAGE IS TOO SMALL but they anrnt in the cage all day long , not even half the day!!! I know everything there is to know about rabbits!! Ask me somthing and i can anser it!! ( im not trying to brag but im trying to prove how much they mean to me) and no i do have neought space for them. I live on a 20 acre farm

Apparently you do NOT know everything there is to know about rabbits as you weren't aware that they need 40 sq ft of room to run around in! Nobody knows "everything there is to know" about any animal and stating that you do is very ignorant.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I dont suffer from depression!! Gegh im saying that i love my bunnies and without them my life would stink!! Im not fighting against your advice, when i posted this i was hoping people would be like oh thats i nice lid what did you make it from or oh i know how to improve your hayrack !!

This is not about my problems its about my bunneis!! but i do nt think any of you are listening to me!! I live in a mobile home, my room is tiny

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.