Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements Oxbow supplements

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
So i was in the pet store the other day to but some nasty tasting stuff to spray on my rat cage (they already chewed threw one base and are working on there second) and i came accrosed supplements.. sold by Oxbow to give to your small animals. i was wondering about thoughts and feeling on this? if its something good to have around. they had different varieties and i got "immune support" one. It says its for rabbits, chins, and G.P.'s. Know i know theres stuff in rabbit food that can hurt my piggies, so im alittle weary about giving it to them.. but they had a lot of different kinds like joint support and stuff.

these are the ingredients:
[h=4]Active Ingredients[/h]
Fenugreek Seed45 mg
Chicory Root (Source of Inulin)40 mg
Olive Leaf27 mg
Astragalus Root18 mg
Goldenseal9 mg
[h=4]Inactive Ingredients[/h] Timothy grass, barley flour, oat groat flour, cane molasses, flax seed meal, yeast culture (dehydrated), l-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate, xanthan gum, hydrolyzed yeast, algae (fat product), mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract

I'd like to know what you all think?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Molasses and yeast alone are products I wouldn't feed my animals.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I have been wondering so much about these. The cons I see are adding additional barley,oats, and molasses to their diet. I believe I've read that too many grains are not good for them.

I think it's quite popular in our society to take herbal supplements, regardless of whether they actually have convincing evidence of health benefits or not. It's reasonably appealing to us to also give them to our pets.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
I have been wondering so much about these. The cons I see are adding additional barley,oats, and molasses to their diet. I believe I've read that too many grains are not good for them.

I think it's quite popular in our society to take herbal supplements, regardless of whether they actually have convincing evidence of health benefits or not. It's reasonably appealing to us to also give them to our pets.

see the thing is i only bought it for if they got sick, its not something i plain on giving as a daily thing. i am stocked with critcle care and have a pretty hefty vet found, but if Evey little thing helps.. some of the active ingradance are actully used for infectious and stuff.. i looked it up.. after it stated it on the bottle i wanted to make sour XD

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
You could use it to mix with their Critical Care if they got sick - at that point you basically just need to get something into them and it might make the Critical Care more palatable for the pigs.

However, I wouldn't use them as regular treats because the ingredients are so-so. Pigs love bits of fresh fruit and veggies a lot more than any commercial treat and they are a lot healthier for them. My pigs go crazy for a bit of watermelon or apple every now and then. :)

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
You could use it to mix with their Critical Care if they got sick - at that point you basically just need to get something into them and it might make the Critical Care more palatable for the pigs.

However, I wouldn't use them as regular treats because the ingredients are so-so. Pigs love bits of fresh fruit and veggies a lot more than any commercial treat and they are a lot healthier for them. My pigs go crazy for a bit of watermelon or apple every now and then. :)

lol i dont buy trats at a store XD i giv mine all viggies :) with the like once a mounth bit of banana if they can convince me to share.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I bought all of them for my aging bunny. I tried giving them to my pigs and only one had any interest at all. My bunny eats them grudgingly--her favorite treats are the timothy rings Oxbow makes.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I should also mention that fresh herbs and veggies listed on the nutritional chart have immune and anti-cancer properties as well. Parsley (which a lot of pigs adore!) boosts the immune system *and* is anti-cancer. It's a blue coded veggie you can also feed a few times a week!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsley#Health_benefits_and_precautions

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
So the supplements wouldn't be harmful to give say once a week?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Penny has a sensitive tummy so I've used the digestive tabs for her. She liked them and ate them up like treats. I don't think they really made a difference, though. I've also used the immunity support when Sheldon's chronic eye issue started to act up. Again, I'm not sure if it actually helped. They both really liked the tabs, though! I was thinking of trying the joint support tabs on Sheldon. They contain glucosamine, and I've been wondering if it would help his stiff joints.

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
I should also mention that fresh herbs and veggies listed on the nutritional chart have immune and anti-cancer properties as well. Parsley (which a lot of pigs adore!) boosts the immune system *and* is anti-cancer. It's a blue coded veggie you can also feed a few times a week!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsley#Health_benefits_and_precautions

Too bad my piggies sometimes get sludge if they get it too often. Its a bit rich in calcium for them so I can only give it occasionally. They do love it though!

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
They can still get it maybe once a week :)

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
So the supplements wouldn't be harmful to give say once a week?

I don't think they would be harmful. My vet (who is also my friend) was talking to me about them the other day. Im not sure if they would be that beneficial if they didn't get them regularly though. It would be like a human taking a vitamin once a week. Wouldn't hurt, but may not help either if taken so infrequently.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.