Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection What can I do while I wait to get into a vet!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just curious what has been happening with your girls?

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Just curious what has been happening with your girls?
They are doing pretty good! Still giving em meds but our next vet appt is soon. I think this Friday? I will keep u guys updated. What I do know is Rosie doesn't need to be spayed but the vet is really recommends that they do both get spayed. Not sure if I should or not they have already been through a lot. Can u guys give me ur opinions on this? I will keep u guys updated!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear you were able to see a vet and your girls are doing well. You mentioned meds, did they have a respiratory infection after all?

And is there a reason that the vet recommends spaying? I don’t think too many owners spay unless there is a medical condition that requires it.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear you were able to see a vet and your girls are doing well. You mentioned meds, did they have a respiratory infection after all?

And is there a reason that the vet recommends spaying? I don’t think too many owners spay unless there is a medical condition that requires it.

Yes they did end up having a URI. The vet recommends spaying because they are at risk for ovarian cysts. Anyone have suggestions on whether I should do it or not? We though that Rosie might have had one since the vet told us but it doesn't look like it anymore

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yes they did end up having a URI. The vet recommends spaying because they are at risk for ovarian cysts. Anyone have suggestions on whether I should do it or not? We though that Rosie might have had one since the vet told us but it doesn't look like it anymore

The advice I was given is wait to see the symptoms. My girl has 1 very small on each. But no symptoms. Gps don't do as well with anesthesia as dogs and cats do. Lots of risks. So why risk. They may or may not cause issues. So I'll make the call if I see symptoms. Also her vet has only done 2. It's a difficult surgery so you want a vet that's done many on gps successfully. So there's another vet here that has. So it would be him to spay her.

I have a thread here on bella ovarian cysts if you want to check it out.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Hey so I have a question I know guinea pigs have a shedding season but it is getting colder since it isn't even winter yet. Any ideas on what this could be?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any idea of what what could be? Are your pigs losing hair?

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Any idea of what what could be? Are your pigs losing hair?
Yes Princess lost a lot of fur one day when I was petting her. I could literally pull a lot of hair from one spot. It seems to me as the hair loss comes and goes for the massive/sudden loss. Is there such thing as shedding episodes? I am not too concerned as they are eating fine and are really vocal and playful. They love their cuddle time and treat time. Nothing seems abnormal but I feel you guys might be able to say something I don't know about yet. If this happens again when I go downstairs in a minute to hold them I will take pictures on the amount of fur. I have seen itching but it is the same amount they have always done.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Here are some pictures I would take more but all the fur on the floor isn't visible from my phone camera. IMG_20191106_154946.jpgIMG_20191106_154946.jpg IMG_20191106_154934.jpg IMG_20191106_154922.jpg IMG_20191106_154918.jpg

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What exactly does she eat? What brand of pellets, and how many? What veggies? I'd assume a vitamin deficiency at the very least, but what you give will depend on what else she's eating.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
They are eating the same as always. We did try a new hay brand could there be something in it? It came in a box and the hay wasn't bagged. They have romaine lettuce and cucumbers, I give them oxbow vitamin c tabs every day and since they get sick so often I give them 2. it is 25mg each tablet. It is always 1/8 cup because she shares a cage with her sister.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They are eating the same as always. We did try a new hay brand could there be something in it? It came in a box and the hay wasn't bagged. They have romaine lettuce and cucumbers, I give them oxbow vitamin c tabs every day and since they get sick so often I give them 2. it is 25mg each tablet. It is always 1/8 cup because she shares a cage with her sister.

Do they like bell peppers? That's better vit c than tablets. Do you make sure they each finish their vit c tablets?

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
They always finish the tablets it is like a treat for them. They don't like bell peppers they are the pickiest piggies ever.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Update on the piggies. They are once again sick with bumblefoot, URI and possibly a hay poke, as well as overgrown teeth. Trying to get an appt to the vet but my mom won't take em. I will keep you guys updated.

PiggyBaby

Cavy Slave
Okay so I have an Update on my piggies. They do have URIs and so they will be on some antibiotics. Something we weren't expecting was Rosie possibly has a cyst in her ovary. I have to keep a close eye on her and if it isn't better she will need to be spayed. I am not sure what antibiotic they are going to be put on since it is a different one. I go to an exotic vet so I completely trust them. I will give you another update when I get one.

just curious.. how did they find out she had a cyst in her ovary, could it be felt from the outside?

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
just curious.. how did they find out she had a cyst in her ovary, could it be felt from the outside?
Yes when there is a cyst it is able to be felt from the outside.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.