Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brands Why is Oxbow a good brand?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hi. I've heard many people say that Oxbow is one of the best brands. How so? I do purchase Oxbow hay for my guinea pig, and I noticed that the only difference between Oxbow hay and other cheap hay brands is that it says No Additives on the Oxbow packaging. What does that mean? Is Oxbow hay pesticide-free? I know some brands lie that they are, just to make money. Can I really trust Oxbow? Also, another question, are Kaytee pellets quality? I am trying to find a good pellet brand, bit my local pet store only sells Kaytee pellets and Vita Prima pellets. I've already learned that Vita Prima isn't good. But what about Kaytee?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Neither Kaytee not Vita Prima are good pellets. The only pellets we recommend are KMS Hayloft (available only online at (broken link removed)) and Oxbow. Depending on where you are, the price is roughly comparable.

Local hay is by far the cheapest, while hay from a pet store is many, many times more expensive per pound. Good online hays, about 1/3 the cost of pet store hay, include Small Pet Select, American Pet Diner, KMS Hayloft, and Sweet Meadow Farm.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Neither Kaytee not Vita Prima are good pellets. The only pellets we recommend are KMS Hayloft (available only online at (broken link removed)) and Oxbow. Depending on where you are, the price is roughly comparable.

Local hay is by far the cheapest, while hay from a pet store is many, many times more expensive per pound. Good online hays, about 1/3 the cost of pet store hay, include Small Pet Select, American Pet Diner, KMS Hayloft, and Sweet Meadow Farm.

Just a question about the hay, so is oxbow hay not best for them? I know oxbow is highly recommended for pellets, but I assumed it was pellets and hay. If those above hays are good as well, I will look into ordering those online.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Certain brands of hay will produce more reliable quality of hay than others. I often see hay bags in the store that look brown or dull green and dusty. Those you want to avoid. The type of hay you want should smell fresh, look green, not dusty and more leafy. I've heard good things about KMS Haylofts hay but I haven't tried it myself.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Is k m s hay loft a u s company??
Would the shipping be too expensive to ship to the uk???
I've never tryed them for the shipping asspect

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Is k m s hay loft a u s company??
Would the shipping be too expensive to ship to the uk???
I've never tryed them for the shipping asspect

KMs is a US company. They ship pellets to other countries but hay is shipped within the US only.

Fay

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=30941]maddy harper[/MENTION] - I believe the pellets recommended in Europe are Oxbow or if you can't find those Burgess or Science Selective(?) I can't recall whether Science Selective was good or not. Regardless on which one you choose (unless it's Oxbow); You would have to do some research to compare ingredients with the information on GL. I believe a lot of pellet brands use alfalfa in Europe so you would have to alter their diet to adjust levels of calcium. As for a source of good hay, I'm not entirely sure. Your best bet is to just follow the guidelines on how to spot good quality hay and go with whichever brands you can find that produce good quality hay. I mean, you might be able to find a source of hay from a farmer near you but they won't be nearly as numerous in the UK. Here are the links:

https://www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/hay.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.