Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Battling Summer!

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! Currently as all of you know it is summer time. Today we're expecting it to be 90F+ in L.A which is rather hot. I don't have an A/c. Although I might be possibly getting one later in September. I have been told to use frozen water bottles but they tend to melt/warm up rather quickly. What are some safe or recommended ice packs to use for my guinea pigs? I'm currently using a fan but as I read.. Drafts/wind tend to give them upper respiratory problems. What would the community recommend for my piggies? Also, any good recommendations on what thermometer I should get for their cage to keep track of temps?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Do you have a basement where it might be cooler? Your bathroom might also be a bit cooler. Heat is more dangerous to them than cool temperatures. Once it gets over 80, your guinea pig might get heat stroke.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I use any ice pack I can find. I like to just freeze Ziploc bags, then cover them in a washcloth for the boys to lay on. I also put a frozen water bottle on top of their pigloos, which kind of makes their houses air conditioned lol. Anything you use is going to melt, so you have to have several on hand and switch them out as they melt.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Frozen 2 litters of water. That will take longer to thaw. Also pieces of tile will allow then to cool down. I have seen parts of a marble tile sold for chinchillas at pet stores. Or just get one at a home improvement store. Keep the fans on them, they should be fine. Leave an area they can get out of the wind though.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Frozen 2 litters of water. That will take longer to thaw. Also pieces of tile will allow then to cool down. I have seen parts of a marble tile sold for chinchillas at pet stores. Or just get one at a home improvement store. Keep the fans on them, they should be fine. Leave an area they can get out of the wind though.

I agree about the fans! I use one on my boys cage, well, theirs actually blows OVER the cage into their corner. Maybe try that? It helps keep a good bit of airflow going without blowing directly on them.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I'll try the 2 liter idea as well as tiles. Perhaps I could stick the tiles in the freezer and chill them for awhile before putting them in their cage

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I'll try the 2 liter idea as well as tiles. Perhaps I could stick the tiles in the freezer and chill them for awhile before putting them in their cage

That's not a bad idea. Stone tends to stay cool, and if you already have it cold I'm sure it will stay colder longer!

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Would these icepacks be good and safe for my guinea pigs?

(broken link removed)

I bought about 8 to put around the cage and on top of their igloo hidey houses.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
If they are the hard plastic kind I don't think thee should be a problem. 2 litters and water bottles are cheaper though.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Adding more to this thread instead of creating a new one since it's still the same topic. I have a question although I know it has been hinted and said slightly before. I absolutely want to know if it is indeed ok to have a fan blowing on them. I have a medium sized fan that pushes a decent amount of air. It is really hot in my house and I have the windows and doors closed. It's about 95F outside (dry heat) and opening the door would bring more air in. It's about 82-85F inside my house. I have them laying on icepacks and frozen water bottles. My new A/C isn't coming til next wednesday so I have almost a full week to wait. I'm just worried my guinea pigs will get sick if they have any form of air hitting them. I have the big fan roughly 6-7 ft. away from their cage. Is this safe? They do have spots in their cage where they can escape the wind.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Are they in a corner?

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Yes, they are in the corner of this room. It's away from sunlight/windows (to avoid night drafts).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fans are fine -- what you don't want are cold drafts blowing on them. If you've got a big fan, just don't aim it directly at them. Set it so the air is circulating in the room.

Mine live under a ceiling fan which runs from February to November. No ill effects so far.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Ok, thank you for your response >_<. I feel so bad for them and this hot weather. I live here in Los Angeles and the weather is almost always dry heat. It's never really humid.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I put the fan blowing into the corner, over the cage. That way the air is blowing over the cage but not directly onto them.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the responses. The past couple hours I have opened up a couple boxed up fans and have fully placed them around the room. Air has been circulating nicely and it's now 76F in this room (which is a huge improvement over earlier.) I gave each and every one of them cucumber as a treat (also to help battle the heat). They have been pop corning ever since. I have one last question however. Seeing as I am getting my portable A/C next week.. I have heard that some A/Cs are bad for guinea pigs. More or so the air ionizer. Is this true? What kind of specific A/C should I be targeting or using? This is the A/C I bought (broken link removed)

If worse comes to worse I will take it back to get a proper one for my room. I mostly want a Portable A/c to keep my guinea pigs on proper temps and of course to fight summer in general. I intend on using it to keep my room under 80F. Mostly 68-75F. Once I reach those temps I will be turning it off.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Any thoughts if this A/c would be bad for them or safe to use with them?

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
It will probably be just fine. Mine have been in AC all summer for 3 summers all are doing well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where did you hear that air conditioners aren't good for pigs? I live in Houston, where the air conditioners run 10 or 11 months of the year. We couldn't have pigs here if it weren't for air conditioning.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit

That's good to know >< I can't wait to get my A/C

@bpatters

on a supply pick up I overheard people saying that the chemicals/dehumidifiers in A/Cs can be bad for guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.