Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help loosing interest

Schelsgirl

Cavy Gazer
Help losing interest

I have two wonderful guinea pigs that have ran my life for 2 years now something has changed. I woke up one morning about two weeks ago and they weren't fun any more they were chores. Has this happened to anyone else. Am I a bad person? How can I change this I dont want them to have to go to another home. What can I do to rebond with my two hair balls that I love so much?:sad::?:

I had it happen to me and it just helps to take it one day at a time and have lap time with veggies. So instead of placing the bowl in the cage put them on your lap together and feed their veggies to them that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I think there have been times likes this for most owners where life gets busy and some aspects of their care can seem very chore-like. Personally I get in to some very specific busy times throughout the year and I'm rushing to sweep their cages or whatnot. My life always calms down though and I have time to spend with them and appreciate them.

It's important to remember that these are living beings with feelings and you made the commitment to give them a lifetime worth of care when you got them. It's unfair to uproot them from their lives.

Try and remember what made you choose guinea pigs in the first place, what do you love about them? As to bonding, try and take them out for little bits of lap time often to get some one on one time, it's a great suggestion to have veggie time with them. Possibly try an activity with them, you can train guinea pigs tricks so look up some videos and dedicate time to have them learn something new!

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Re: Loosing interest in my guineapigs

What kind of bedding do you have? I ask this because some beddings are easier to clean than others, and may feel more/less like chores.

A way to bond with them that has worked with me is to offer them a small treat in the form of veggies or pellets whenever you approach their cage. They will associate you with food and when at you every time you walk by.

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
I have to second @Piggly12 on the bedding comment. I've recently switched to strictly using bedding instead of fleece. All the fleece management was starting to feel burdensome, so I decided to make the switch to just Carefresh or a mixture of kiln-dried Aspen mixed with Carefresh. Being able to just shovel the dirty bedding into a garbage bag, wipe down the base, and refilling with clean bedding has been so much easier in my life versus laundering fleece and getting frustrated daily that my girls were not using their kitchen/pooping underneath the fleece/making a mess with hay, you get the picture.

Schelsgirl

Cavy Gazer
Re: Loosing interest in my guineapigs

What kind of bedding do you have? I ask this because some beddings are easier to clean than others, and may feel more/less like chores.

A way to bond with them that has worked with me is to offer them a small treat in the form of veggies or pellets whenever you approach their cage. They will associate you with food and when at you every time you walk by.

I have fleece bedding! And thank you

Schelsgirl

Cavy Gazer
Mine are really good with fleece and I also have to use fleece because people in a my household area Allergenic to the wood shavings of any kinda and I cant get care freash because I have a long haired baby!!

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I will try it. How long did it last for you

It lasted for a while I felt like the worst person that ever walked it wasn't my boys fault at all. But after feeding veggies during lap time and just having him out with me just doing anything I felt like it got better

Mikko

Cavy Slave
How are you feeling about other aspects of your life? (are you enjoying other things you used to enjoy?)

I just ask because before I was diagnosed with depression even things in my life that I had previously enjoyed seemed like a chore (even something I enjoy like playing video games seemed hard, unenjoyable and annoying).

As well, if you are not doing enough of the things you actually enjoy doing you will not enjoy the other parts of your life, I think.

Glad the hand feeding and the lap time is helping.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Don't feel bad. I'm feeling the same way about my 4 year old betta fish now. All of my "show quality" fish have passed away leaving my scarred and marred petco fish, it's just not that fun making big custom fishtanks for one lonely little fish. That being said I still take care of him, and every once in a while he'll flare up at me and make me love him again.  It's natural to think of animals as animals, and to think of pets is a responsibility. I'm sure there have been times in your life where you thought your parents were the most annoying people on earth and you couldn't understand why you had to put up with them, but eventually something would remind you that they are your parents and you love them. It's the same with all people and animals, part of it stems from taking something for granted, another part stems from responsibility, and if you're like me part of it could also be caused by depression and anxiety.<br> If you're religious take the time to say a prayer for them every day. Even if you're not religious take the time to look at them and appreciate them, to remember where they were important to you, to feed them and see how they care for you. Take a step  back and realize the bond that you share with them. The love will come again, I promise 

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.