Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Breeds/Varieties

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I don't have pigtures. Mine are from the UK though, but sure my male is a Self Red and my girl is a Red-eyed Dutch (they are both neutered) My past guiea pig was a Golden American question, I'll see if I can get pigtures.

Not quite sure what your asking ? I'm not very familiar with how the UK groups breeds and varieties and such, so if you have pictures I can really only tell you by American standards :( sorry.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Hey I just got my baby girl Dennis (though she was a he) 2 months ago. Have no idea what breed she is.. I asked the previous owner and they looked at me blankly and said guinea pig.. useless! But im very curious to see what she is?View attachment 62409

Have you clipped her hair at all? If you haven't clipped it, and thats the natural length, she would be an America/Silkie mix. The variety is a TSW or Tortoise Shell and White. Such a cute face! :)

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
View attachment 62410
Hi, can you tell what breed and variety this one is? Dont even know if its a he or she yet. :D

The breed is an American, the variety is most likely a Black and Cream Broken. There's a chance it's really a Chocolate and Cream Broken, but it might just be the lighting. Babies usually are born darker, so if her/his dark colored patches get lighter and more chocolate like with age, then it would be a Chocolate and Cream Broken.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Sorry if I'm getting back to anyone late, thanks for all the questions, I LOVE looking at your pigtures! :)

martini907

Cavy Slave

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
@MizzyMiz , The Abyssinian is actually their nanny boar! The little black and white broken baby looks like he's started to get longer tufts of hair, could be be a Silkie mix? And the little Lilac is 100% Lilac, he's soooooo beautiful

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
@MizzyMiz , The Abyssinian is actually their nanny boar! The little black and white broken baby looks like he's started to get longer tufts of hair, could be be a Silkie mix? And the little Lilac is 100% Lilac, he's soooooo beautiful

Haha, oh cute xD nanny boars. Only time will tell with the baby, sometimes baby will go through an awkward "uglies" stage where their fur gets a little wacky.

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
Hello to the ever-glorious @MizzyMiz ! How wonderful it is to see you here again!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394753570.027022.jpg

This is (Doctor) Thomas. His full name is Thomas Jefferson. He has a beautiful black color with a white stripe behind his ears.

I don't quite know what breed he is. He may be some sort of mix, because of the whorl behind his head and the long hair down his back.

The hair is long, soft, and lustrous. It even shines a bit!

(He was in the bathtub when I took this pigture)

Thank you for your help! :)

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Hello to the ever-glorious @MizzyMiz ! How wonderful it is to see you here again!

View attachment 62424

This is (Doctor) Thomas. His full name is Thomas Jefferson. He has a beautiful black color with a white stripe behind his ears.

I don't quite know what breed he is. He may be some sort of mix, because of the whorl behind his head and the long hair down his back.

The hair is long, soft, and lustrous. It even shines a bit!

(He was in the bathtub when I took this pigture)

Thank you for your help! :)

Good to see you again too! He's definitely some sort of Peruvian mix. I'm thinking either Peruvian/American mix or even a Peruvian/Abby. The variety is Black and White broken :)

I know you were interested in learning more about the breeds, and varieties, let me know if you have any questions! :)

Chefette

Cavy Slave
@MizzyMiz oh that is wonderful to know! Thanks so much for the response on both threads. You are very good at this!

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Aww, thanks so much :D I enjoy doing it

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
@MizzyMiz

I just got my things taken away, so I'm typing this from the school computer (GPC is not blocked here!). I'll be able to get on most days of the week.

Yes, I do love learning about the breeds and varieties!

My question is always how to tell what kind of mix a piggy is. I knew mine was some sort of Peruvian after looking at all the pigtures, but I couldn't tell what else he was mixed with. Do you think, because of that spiky, short hair on his head, that he could be part Abysinnian (I have absolutely no idea if I spelled that right)? Oh, I just don't know.

He sure is cute, though! I love the long butt mane :) When I posted pigtures of him on Tumblr, @spudsthepiget loved them! He is very photogenic. He even takes selfies with me! The boy just loves the camera.

Thank you for all of your help! I cannot wait to talk to you all again! This forum just so happened to be my LIFE for six months. It's addicting.

GPnooby

Cavy Slave
Piper is about 9 weeks now. Just curious if you might be able to tell what her breed is.
I think she is a abyssinian, but not fully sure.

These are the best pictures I have right now. She is to squirmy to get any better lol

Attachments

20140310_161659.jpg 20140310_161257.jpg 20140308_155637.jpg

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
@MizzyMiz

I just got my things taken away, so I'm typing this from the school computer (GPC is not blocked here!). I'll be able to get on most days of the week.

Yes, I do love learning about the breeds and varieties!

My question is always how to tell what kind of mix a piggy is. I knew mine was some sort of Peruvian after looking at all the pigtures, but I couldn't tell what else he was mixed with. Do you think, because of that spiky, short hair on his head, that he could be part Abysinnian (I have absolutely no idea if I spelled that right)? Oh, I just don't know.

He sure is cute, though! I love the long butt mane :) When I posted pigtures of him on Tumblr, @spudsthepiget loved them! He is very photogenic. He even takes selfies with me! The boy just loves the camera.

Thank you for all of your help! I cannot wait to talk to you all again! This forum just so happened to be my LIFE for six months. It's addicting.

I was leaning more towards Peruvian/American because on their own, Peruvians have a couple rosettes on their bum and a frontal (that spikey hair on the head), which seams to be what yours has. Abby/ Peruvians usually have a lot more rosettes.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Piper is about 9 weeks now. Just curious if you might be able to tell what her breed is.
I think she is a abyssinian, but not fully sure.

These are the best pictures I have right now. She is to squirmy to get any better lol

The breed is definitely an Abyssinian ( since she is still so young her hair might grow out if she's a mix with a long haired, but at the moment she just looks Abby). The variety is a red, chocolate, and white broken :)

Chefette

Cavy Slave
@cavykaitlyn haha butt mane. Love it! And man I feel your pain. My mama used to take my things away from me all the time too -.-

GPnooby

Cavy Slave

GuineaPigMania2

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I didn't really explain. I wanted you to check their breeds, sorry. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure I know their breeds, just wanted to check :)

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I didn't really explain. I wanted you to check their breeds, sorry. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure I know their breeds, just wanted to check :)

All the breeds in the US are based on fur type, so if you could describe their fur length, texture, rosettes, and such I'd be more than happy to! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.