Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General When do you start to feel like you know what you're doing?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
We've had our pigs for a year and a half and most of the time I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I've learned so much here, I have all this info in my head, yet I have no confidence in myself at all. I still feel like I'm screwing it up all the time. When did you start to feel like you knew what you were doing? I know part of it is just me and that I will always feel this way to some extent but I thought it would ease up a bit by now. I just wondered how long it took people like @bpatters and @RodentCuddles, just to name a couple, to feel like the experts they are to me.

Fay

Cavy Slave
It took me a good 4-5 years before I felt like I was no longer making regular mistakes, felt comfortable that I knew most of the important stuff, and memorised the majority of the in-depth stuff. That said I still learn new things now and there is always some developments in guinea pig care. Like the uhaul blankets weren't really a thing when I first joined.

I don't think you ever stop to truly learn new things but I do feel like I know what I'm doing now. It just takes time and experience, there's just so much to remember with guinea pig care. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the point is that you're trying your best for your pigs and that is what is most important. Feeling sure of yourself will come with time. :eek:

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's a lot like having kids. You go with your gut feeling and ask others if you're not sure. Things like symptoms of illness become obvious once you've seen those symptoms but sometimes things don't necessarily follow that pattern. You just do your best, which I can tell that you do. Your guinea pigs are in very good hands.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I know part of it is just my anxiety disorder but usually I can feel like I have some things under control. I'm just gonna keep plugging along and learning more as I go. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.