Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Where can I buy wood pellets?

piggy.addict

Cavy Slave
I've been doing a lot of research lately about bedding. My normal carefressh bedding is getting too expensive and I considered fleece until I realized I don't have weekly access to a washing machine. Then I found an article about wood pellets and it seems like the perfect choice, its cheap, long lasting, and jeeps the odores down. The problem is I don't know where to buy it. I went to home depot this week and they didn't have any. Any ideas in where I could by them? BTW I live in Charlotte NC

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I've been doing a lot of research lately about bedding. My normal carefressh bedding is getting too expensive and I considered fleece until I realized I don't have weekly access to a washing machine. Then I found an article about wood pellets and it seems like the perfect choice, its cheap, long lasting, and jeeps the odores down. The problem is I don't know where to buy it. I went to home depot this week and they didn't have any. Any ideas in where I could by them? BTW I live in Charlotte NC

Its not going to be so long lasting with the poop going into it. You could try to cover with mini flakes from a farm store or tractor supply, that would work. My farm store calls it saw dust that is how small the flakes are but its not like saw dust.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
yeah you should have something over it if you want it to last could you possibly do fleece and maybe hand wash it (do maybe 3 or 4 smaller sizes of fleece that can kind of overlap each other that should make handwashing 100x easier. (this is what im planning to do eventually)

piggy.addict

Cavy Slave
yeah you should have something over it if you want it to last could you possibly do fleece and maybe hand wash it (do maybe 3 or 4 smaller sizes of fleece that can kind of overlap each other that should make handwashing 100x easier. (this is what im planning to do eventually)
Yeah I was thinking on using fleece over that as it looks like a hard surface for a piggy's feet.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
It will also keep poop out of the pellets (for the most part) you should be able to pick up the fleece and shake it out or sweep it during the week before washes.
I plan on making my fleece 2 pieces, my laundry machine is broken and its going to cost more to repair it than to buy a new one (but we wont be buying a new one until after we move this summer) so handwashing the smaller sizes will be way easier when i already have 3 peoples laundry to hand wash lol. (its a pain in the butt but you get some good arm muscles doing it haha)

did any of those links help? I just did a quick google but im sure you could call around to farm supply/feed stores and see if they carry it, another option but a bit more expensive would be the cat litter version (just make sure its got no additives just kiln dried pine pellets) it might be a lot easier for you to find but it does cost more

piggy.addict

Cavy Slave
It will also keep poop out of the pellets (for the most part) you should be able to pick up the fleece and shake it out or sweep it during the week before washes.
I plan on making my fleece 2 pieces, my laundry machine is broken and its going to cost more to repair it than to buy a new one (but we wont be buying a new one until after we move this summer) so handwashing the smaller sizes will be way easier when i already have 3 peoples laundry to hand wash lol. (its a pain in the butt but you get some good arm muscles doing it haha)

did any of those links help? I just did a quick google but im sure you could call around to farm supply/feed stores and see if they carry it, another option but a bit more expensive would be the cat litter version (just make sure its got no additives just kiln dried pine pellets) it might be a lot easier for you to find but it does cost more
Yeah haha I might be able to go to the tractor supply store sometime next week but thanks[emoji5]

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
I have a bunch of poop in the pellets. Poop dries and almost becomes a pellet. Poop smells went it is still moist, once dried it's not that noticeable. The urine that really smells. No big deal.

I have used 3 kinds of pellets and have decided the Equine Pellets from Tractor Supply work the best.

(broken link removed)

Your closest one is in Concord about 18 miles away.

piggy.addict

Cavy Slave
I have a bunch of poop in the pellets. Poop dries and almost becomes a pellet. Poop smells went it is still moist, once dried it's not that noticeable. The urine that really smells. No big deal.

I have used 3 kinds of pellets and have decided the Equine Pellets from Tractor Supply work the best.

(broken link removed)

Thank you❤

Kristi26

Cavy Slave

(broken link removed)

We got ours at Tractor Supply too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.