Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing I guess they love their toys!

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
I've got 12 guinea pigs all of which LOVE their toys I can't keep a toy for over 2-3 weeks usually! Any hay or twig type toys are gone in a couple of days, barrel roller toys are usually gone within a week or two, homemade toys are done in a day, Nut Knot Nibblers last me a few weeks, and Loofa toys usually don't last long either! Anyone else with guinea pigs that destroy their toys?

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
Mine are the exact opposite:sad:. They won't touch their toys one bit. They just love to run around and eat hay all day.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Mine are the exact opposite:sad:. They won't touch their toys one bit. They just love to run around and eat hay all day.

I wish mine didn't like their toys! I spend a fortune on toys every month! lol

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Mine also do not take much interest in their toys. They get mildly interested but then they would just rather wait for food. My rabbit on the other hand is a toy destroyer. Her nickname is Bunzilla because she just picks things up and tosses it around her cage...including her litter pan! I am constantly looking through the clearance containers in the pet stores for cheap chew toys to satisfy her insatiable appetite for destruction!:crazy:

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
@NursePiggy My rabbit, that passed away last December, didnt really like playing with toys :/ I don't understand why my pigs love to destroy their toys so much I always hear everyone say their pigs don't care for toys and here I am going through toys every week and Bunzilla that's hilarious lol

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear about your bunny Pawesomepet...Yeah, my bunny is pretty funny when she bares those bunny fangs and attacks her toys. But she is very sweet and loves to be petted. Bunny also LOVES treats and will sit on my lap for them...but dont' try to pick her up or you will have yourself a nasty sliced wrist!
Toys are funny...my cockatiel thinks they are mindfields to be avoided in her cage....whereas my blind parakeet will seek hers out daily including her bell that she like to stick her head under...when she does that she will chirp loudly...we say she is putting her party hat on again! lol

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=28515]NursePiggy[/MENTION] I miss having a rabbit around I had my girl for nearly 10 years! My parakeet is in love with his toys since his cage mate passed away of a sad death before I got the one I have now!

PiggyLove1

Cavy Slave
My pigs don't really go for toys, chews are more what they like. Try getting an edible log. You can find them at Walmart.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Flower destoyes all. SHe tosses things in the air and then eats them. Lulu and Loopsie just chew on everything. Cant wait until we see the pup personalities!

piggles0117

Cavy Slave
I remember one time I bought my pigs a toy and it was gone in a day!

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@PiggyLove1 If you're talking about the Snak Shak logs they aren't healthy for guinea pigs, just so you know. :) If you have one in your pigs' cage, I'd take it out if I were you.

My pigs don't pay much attention to their toys. They prefer running around their cage or relaxing in their cozies or hay bin.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I've got 12 guinea pigs all of which LOVE their toys I can't keep a toy for over 2-3 weeks usually! Any hay or twig type toys are gone in a couple of days, barrel roller toys are usually gone within a week or two, homemade toys are done in a day, Nut Knot Nibblers last me a few weeks, and Loofa toys usually don't last long either! Anyone else with guinea pigs that destroy their toys?

They are not toys, they are chew toys and you should be happy they aren't laying around wasted. Mine ignore the twigs, the braided sea grass, the fiddle sticks and the flavored chew blocks the hang. They ignored the mirror and bead toy. Once in a while I might hear a cat ball jingle but I know that's by accident. Oh yeah, they hay tunnel/house just sits. But they love their hay.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
@PiggieGuinea & [MENTION=28495]piggles0117[/MENTION] sounds like my piggies! Oh and PiggieGuinea little baby piggies are so much fun!!!

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx it doesn't bother me I was just a little curious as to how many other people have pigs that love to destroy toys because I always hear people say their pigs hate toys but mine LOVE them!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx it doesn't bother me I was just a little curious as to how many other people have pigs that love to destroy toys because I always hear people say their pigs hate toys but mine LOVE them!

I wish mine played with toys, hell I wish my dog ate half of the treats I buy him. But I will say a cat cube and tunnels was a major hit, so much so that the lazy old guys even played with it.

PiggyLove1

Cavy Slave
@PiggyLove1 If you're talking about the Snak Shak logs they aren't healthy for guinea pigs, just so you know. :) If you have one in your pigs' cage, I'd take it out if I were you.

My pigs don't pay much attention to their toys. They prefer running around their cage or relaxing in their cozies or hay bin.
Ok I just took it out. Thanks for the advice!

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
@Fizzlepop40 How unhealthy are the Snak Shak logs? I will take mine out now, but I've had it in there for about a month on and off. They nibble at it occasionally. Have I put them at risk for anything? :(

LuisaSpike

Cavy Slave
My two aren't too big on destroying their toys, although they do chew on them quite a bit, but their favorite things to do are grab their barrel roller and shake it all around to make the little ball inside roll around, they used to love a toilet paper tube stuffed with hay and tied to one of the overhead grids, but Spike figured out how to jump on top of her pigloo and chew on it, and I didn't want her to get her mouth on the string I used to tie it up there. So now their favorite thing is the barrel roller, they ignore pretty much everything else.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
@Fizzlepop40 How unhealthy are the Snak Shak logs? I will take mine out now, but I've had it in there for about a month on and off. They nibble at it occasionally. Have I put them at risk for anything? :(
I'm not sure how unhealthy they are, hopefully someone who knows more about that will chime in about it.

I'd watch them as of right now. If they aren't acting normally or are losing weight take them to the vet.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town for a couple weeks. :)

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave

Considering Snak Shak logs are made from pine shavings, honey and a number of starches (All of which should not be consumed), not very healthy at all. Generally, you should avoid all "Edible logs".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.