Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Best time to get another piggie?

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
So as you can see in my R.I.P post one of my 2 piggies Mittens has died:( and Cinnamon is all alone now so I was wondering when would be the best time to get her another friend. Mittens did not die of anything contaguis and Cinnamon is doing ok she was in her pigloo all day though she is out now and I gave her some veggies. thank you Im sorry if this is a long post I just don't really know what to do as Mittens and Cinnamon where my first pigs

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is she sad?? I would slowly see if she would like a friend . If she is acting depressed i would look further into it

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
Well she was in her pigloo all day until like 3 hours ago and she went back in for a few minutes after I put her back after lap time but she came out and is there a topic or something I could read for signs if she is depressed (which I'm sure she is) or or if she wants another friend sorry if this is a long post thank you

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well she was in her pigloo all day until like 3 hours ago and she went back in for a few minutes after I put her back after lap time but she came out and is there a topic or something I could read for signs if she is depressed (which I'm sure she is) or or if she wants another friend sorry if this is a long post thank you

its not long at all :) but it might be a lil early to get her a friend if he friend she had just died. Yes i would look further into it she might take it bad or good, depends

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
Ok are any signs I could look for to see if she is getting better? I assume that would be that she gradually returns to normal behavior but is there any other signs?

glitterfae77

Cavy Slave
I have read that some signs of depression are being hunched over in a corner, not eating their favorite treats, general lethargy. Good luck and I'm sorry for your and Cinnamon's loss!

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
ok well she eats but when I got home today she was in her pigloo though while I was washing the veggies which was as soon as I came home she started squeaking and when I was puting them in the cage she was out and she didn't run back in will this stop in a matter of time or will she do this for awhile?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Guinea pigs are hardwired to live in groups, so being alone, especially when she previously had a companion, is scary and lonely. I would get her a companion soon. Look for a rescue in your area instead of a pet store.

You'll need to make sure your cage is large enough for a pair of newly introduced guinea pigs. 10.5 square feet is recommended.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I don't think there's a specific amount of time you need to have between two pigs...I'd say just whenever you're ready

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.