Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Question on fleece flippers

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
So, I know how to do fleece liners with the uhual padding and stuff.

But how do you actually go about making the flippers? I've tried google, and YouTube but end up just finding fleece flippers for sale or videos on making fleece liners. I would much rather make them myself if I can, since it would be cheaper on me in the long run.

As far as I know, the flippers and liners are 2 different things. Am I correct in this?
IF so, could someone send a link on how to make them, or if they know how, would you mind telling me?

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
So, I know how to do fleece liners with the uhual padding and stuff.

But how do you actually go about making the flippers? I've tried google, and YouTube but end up just finding fleece flippers for sale or videos on making fleece liners. I would much rather make them myself if I can, since it would be cheaper on me in the long run.

As far as I know, the flippers and liners are 2 different things. Am I correct in this?
IF so, could someone send a link on how to make them, or if they know how, would you mind telling me?

Hello I own a set of fleece flippers. They are composed of three things: 1) cut coroplast approximately a 1x2 size, 2) two pieces of uhaul padding the are cut so each uhaul padding wraps around both sides of the coroplast, 3) Fleece pillow case essentially.

I think making them would be pretty easy. Measure out how big your base is and cut the coroplast into however many pieces. You might want to make them a bit smaller to account for the padding for the fleece/uhaul. I can measure mine if you want and attach pics.

If you could sew the uhaul directly to the inner of part of the fleece pillowcase it would make it soo much easier assembling. Otherwise you are spending so much time trying to smooth out all the layers.

Let me know if you want pics or need further clarification. :)

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
Pictures would be helpful if you don't mind! :)

So say, my cage is about 60" long roughly. I should make the coroplast for the flipper about 58" then?

I think I get it! I was thinking about the coroplast, but I wasn't entirely sure. I'm definitely going to sew the uhual to the fleece to keep it all smoothed out.

If I did cut it down to say 2-3 pieces, would I truly need to worry about any messes falling in between? My girls for the most part are litter trained (mostly they only pee in the litter, but poo everywhere else lol )

To make the pillow case type, do you sew Velcro to close the open end to keep it on? Or do you do it another way?

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Coroplast : 26 9/16" x 14" W
Pillow case: 32" L x 14" W
Uhaul: 54" L x 13.5" W
Complete Fleece Flipper: 27 2/8" L x 14 2/8" W
My cage is a 2x6 CxC so I had six of those flippers. What style cage do you have?

Ignore my helpful kitty in the pictures. Hopefully that shows you a bit more. I just tuck then ends in or fold them over.

30232422_1860395484007048_519912476_o.jpg30549847_1860395450673718_376736100_o.jpg30176967_1860395430673720_902243362_o.jpg30176763_1860395414007055_1114068170_o.jpg30546954_1860395354007061_1168867265_o.jpg

I didn't have issues with mess falling through but poop did naturally roll down in between the flippers. It only would fall down when I removed one to do a quick sweep.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I have homemade flippers I had to fit to my custom, non-C&C cage. But I made them a few years ago and don't remember a lot of the details of how I did it. I sorta was just winging it.

I have poo fall between the panels sometimes. What I did to reduce it was take a few broad strips of leftover fleece to lay across the gaps between panels. That's made it much easier to clean up.

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
My kitty is also very helpful lol

Thank you for the pictures!
Right now we have a 2x5 c&c cage but may change size/shape it's just to big in our small apt. We were trying to make it work, but may have to downsize it a little. Just not as much room as we were hoping to have for that size. (trying to work on moving, and when we do they will have much much more room after) But with going smaller, I am going to make them a loft to put their food at least to still give them plenty of cage space and plus their eating space.

I can handle if poo falls through when flipping/cleaning. We have a little hand vac we use to clean up area's. But if it became to much of an issue I'll do what LittleSqueakers suggested. :)

So, from seeing the pictures, you just sewed the fleece into a pillow case, then slid it over the uhual that's on the coroplast? You didn't sew the uhual to the fleece? Did it stay in place good? My only concern would be in bunching up under the fleece or something. But if it worked, it'd be a lot easier to sew just the fleece.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
My kitty is also very helpful lol

Thank you for the pictures!
Right now we have a 2x5 c&c cage but may change size/shape it's just to big in our small apt. We were trying to make it work, but may have to downsize it a little. Just not as much room as we were hoping to have for that size. (trying to work on moving, and when we do they will have much much more room after) But with going smaller, I am going to make them a loft to put their food at least to still give them plenty of cage space and plus their eating space.

I can handle if poo falls through when flipping/cleaning. We have a little hand vac we use to clean up area's. But if it became to much of an issue I'll do what LittleSqueakers suggested. :)

So, from seeing the pictures, you just sewed the fleece into a pillow case, then slid it over the uhual that's on the coroplast? You didn't sew the uhual to the fleece? Did it stay in place good? My only concern would be in bunching up under the fleece or something. But if it worked, it'd be a lot easier to sew just the fleece.

Got to love the helpful kitties, hehe.

Oh I remember seeing your post about your two little girls in the 2x5! It is very nice but I am sure they will be fine with a temporary downsize if needed. I am thankful to have the space and a husband that allows me to sacrifice our kitchen table area for my piggies, their many bins of fleece, hay and industrial size trash can lol

I am very flattered you think that I sewed the flippers, those were actually just purchased for the cages fleece store. It is made where the uhaul padding is wrapped around the coroplast and then the slid into the fleece pillowcase. It does take a bit of finagling and smoothing but once you do it stays smooth due to the snug fit. I already think it is amazing you are going to try making them so think it would be fine if you left the pieces separate. Worst case you could make one and if you hate it, sew the rest of them differently.

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
My cat freaked when we brought the coroplast in lol he tried walking on it, and started high stepping it like it was some weird stuff haha.

Oh gosh! I wish I had that space :D That's awesome! Right now our room is taken over by it all lol

Oh alright! Makes sense now. That should work.

Right now we could only get 1 sheet of coroplast. My husbands check wasn't what we thought it was and way to many bills, ugh adulting bites lol. But for now going to make at least 1 or 2 reg liner and get the other to make the flippers in a week or 2.

Thank you sooo much :)

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
Finally got the flippers made (after many errors lol ) I did the pillow case style like [MENTION=39630]wheekermommy[/MENTION] posted :)

Instead of just tucking the ends, I sewed some velcro on the ends to close secure it.

Downsized the cage, but not fully complete, still need to put the loft in.
But wanted to show the flippers :D30831660_1271617496316419_48161116_n.jpg

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Finally got the flippers made (after many errors lol ) I did the pillow case style like @wheekermommy posted :)

Instead of just tucking the ends, I sewed some velcro on the ends to close secure it.

Downsized the cage, but not fully complete, still need to put the loft in.
But wanted to show the flippers :DView attachment 84550

The flippers turned out great! They look professionally made and fit the cage perfectly! Did you attach the uhaul or keep it separate?

Bummer you had to down size, you might consider taking out the pigloo and adding a forest and/or large grid tunnel instead so it doesn't take away precious zoomie space.

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
Thank you :)

One of the flippers is actually a little long, making the coroplast siding bowed a little. But came out good :)

I didn't attach the uhual, I did it like you had in the pictures :)

I actually plan on taking it out haha! I'm in the process of making a cuddly cube for them to replace it with. I'm also going to add a loft to put their hay on so they have more roaming space. When I add that on I'll do the fleece forest.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.